Spear of Lamentations reading order

Hello, I've a question about the reading order of some of Josh Reynold's AoS fiction please. I was about to start  Eight Lamentations: Spear of Shadows when I noticed that there are a couple of other short stories also in the Eight Lamentations storyline: Auction of Blood and The Tainted Axe . So, it's not clear to me whether these predate or follow on from Spear of Shadows or whether they are more separate. Could anyone who's read them please suggest a reading order?

Cheers.

The novels happen ~100 years after the Realmgate Wars.

Chronologically the stories are:

Auction of Blood - (Lays some groundwork for the later stories but isn’t explicitly required.)

Spear of Shadows

Tainted Axe (this actually works best of you read the earlier Sylvaneth stories...specifically Wardens of the Everqueen and only makes sense AfTER Spear Of Shadows.)

Sylvaneth Series Of Stories

War Storm - The Gates Of Dawn 

Ghal Maraz - War in the Hidden Vale

Wardens of the Everqueen

Sylvaneth

Plague Garden

6 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

The novels happen ~100 years after the Realmgate Wars.

Chronologically the stories are:

Auction of Blood - (Lays some groundwork for the later stories but isn’t explicitly required.)

Spear of Shadows

Tainted Axe (this actually works best of you read the earlier Sylvaneth stories...specifically Wardens of the Everqueen and only makes sense AfTER Spear Of Shadows.)

Sylvaneth Series Of Stories

War Storm - The Gates Of Dawn 

Ghal Maraz - War in the Hidden Vale

Wardens of the Everqueen

Sylvaneth

Plague Garden

This is pretty right on the money.  If u can find it i would recommend road of blades as well as it sets up the Khorne champions storyline  

Not really necessary but I read Nagash the Undying King after I read the Eight Lamentation stories and that book fit right in. So, if you dont mind adding another book to your reading list I would read it like this:

• Nagash the Undying King
  • Auction of Blood
  • Spear of Shadows
  • The Tainted Axe

13 hours ago, TheAntsAreBack said:

Hello, I've a question about the reading order of some of Josh Reynold's AoS fiction please. I was about to start  Eight Lamentations: Spear of Shadows when I noticed that there are a couple of other short stories also in the Eight Lamentations storyline: Auction of Blood and The Tainted Axe . So, it's not clear to me whether these predate or follow on from Spear of Shadows or whether they are more separate. Could anyone who's read them please suggest a reading order?

Cheers.

Everyone else got it right. My suggested author's chronology is thus:

Black Rift (Volundr and Warpfang, two of the antagonists of SoS makes their first appearances here)

Fury of Gork (the Eight Lamentations are first mentioned here, and Lord-Celestant Greel makes his first appearance)

"Road of Blades" 

Spear of Shadows

"Auction of Blood" (technically, this takes place roughly simultaneously with SoS)

"The Tainted Axe" (and this is also a sequel to "The Outcast" from Legends of the Age of Sigmar: Sylvaneth)

53 minutes ago, TheAntsAreBack said:

Cool.  Nagash, the Undying King is on my shelf so perhaps I'll start with that instead. Thanks for the help folks.

Undying King appears to be  happening ~after the after the events on SoS. I’d actually wait until AFTER reading the Spear Of Shadows.

Its basically the immediate precursor to the Malign Portents series of events and appears to be happening after the events in Spear Of Shadows series, perhaps around the same time? But definitely after the events in Plague Garden. (It’s happening before Nagash is truly ‘back’ ...) 

I solidly recommend reading it ... and it brings in characters introduced (or re-introduced) in the Spear Of Shadows series. But it’s a late book in the series.

23 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Undying King appears to be  happening ~after the after the events on SoS. I’d actually wait until AFTER reading the Spear Of Shadows.

Its basically the immediate precursor to the Malign Portents series of events and appears to be happening after the events in Spear Of Shadows series, perhaps around the same time? But definitely after the events in Plague Garden. (It’s happening before Nagash is truly ‘back’ ...) 

I solidly recommend reading it ... and it brings in characters introduced (or re-introduced) in the Spear Of Shadows series. But it’s a late book in the series.

Nagash: The Undying King takes place in the Age of Myth, so well before everything else. It's a prequel to the Realmgate Wars, in a sense. 

Though, you're right, it is a precursor to Malign Portents. Technically.  Kinda. 

It's a bit confusing, because the Order of the Fly (from Plague Garden, "The Tainted Axe", etc.) is in it. And Adhema (from Spear of Shadows), but it's definitely a prequel. 

I should probably do, like, a full chronology of all my AOS stuff in a blog post, at some point. 

34 minutes ago, JReynolds said:

Nagash: The Undying King takes place in the Age of Myth, so well before everything else. It's a prequel to the Realmgate Wars, in a sense. 

[...] but it's definitely a prequel. 

I should probably do, like, a full chronology of all my AOS stuff in a blog post, at some point. 

That does clarify a whole bunch. Thanks! 

That novel was seriously enjoyable read, I couldn’t put it down after I started it. B| At the end my only wish/thought was a “Wow ... that was an awesome ending ... I wonder where the main character is now?”

6 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

That does clarify a whole bunch. Thanks! 

That novel was seriously enjoyable read, I couldn’t put it down after I started it. B| At the end my only wish/thought was a “Wow ... that was an awesome ending ... I wonder where the main character is now?”

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it!

Archived