Counting wounds

HappyCultist

Question

Hi. Quick question. Or disscussion... When I been playing wargames over the years I always counted the wounds or hit point going down. Example: my 10 wound monster takes two damage. I place a token, counter or dice that says 8 on the model. But resently I encounterd players that does it the other way around and would count the wounds going up insted. Exampel: the 10 wound monster takes two damage. They place a token, counter or dice saying 2 on the model.

I guess this is a minor thing. But can be a bit confusing when using different methods during the same game. Personally,  as you understand I prefer counting the wounds going down.  But is there some kind of standard for this? A tournament standard mabye?

4 answers to this question

The mainpoint counting up wounds would be the Damage Table, after its counting up the suffered wounds. So you see, if see easier which line of the damagetable you have to use instead of substracting the wounds you have from the wound characteristic to see how many wounds the model has.

I always count downwards. It just improves game clarity, and my opponent doesn't have to constantly ask me how many wounds I have left. Doing it the other way to more easily see the damage chart solves one problem, but creates a much bigger one: not everyone knows the total healthpool of your monsters. By withholding that visual information, you're gaining an unneccessary advantage, and as I said,have to answer them every time they ask, which is more work than checking the damage chart :)

Archived