Kharadron Overlords Tournament List

BWG Cannonball

Hey All!

I'm signing up for some of the bigger AoS Tournaments in the states and want to see how I do with my Kharadron.  This is my rough 2k list and would love any criticism or critiques that I could use to possibly make it better.  I've had a lot of luck with my boys so far and felt I'd take the plunge into the larger tournament realm.

Skyport - Barak-Mhornar

Admiral - Opportunistic Privateers

Aether-Khemist - Staff of Optimization

Navigator

10x Arkanaut Company - 3x Skyhooks

10x Arkanaut Company - 3x Skyhooks

10x Arkanaut Company - 3x Volleyguns

10x Grundstock Thunderers - Aether-Carbines

6x Endrinriggers - 1 Grapnel Launcher

Ironclad - Volley Cannon, Prudency Chutes

Frigate - Heavy Sky Cannon

Allies: Battlemage (Making a KO Conversion of one)

For the record I currently only have 6 Endrinriggers so I can't follow suit with the standard 9 to 12 many people run.  I've also had a lot of luck with the Thunderers which is why I keep using them in larger squads.

Setup wise I'd place the Characters, 10 AC, and the Thunderers in the Ironclad, and then another 10 AC in the Frigate.  I've also considered either Maelefic Skymines or The Last Word for my Ironclad as well.

I took a 1500pt version of this to a tournament last December and wound up in 3rd which I was happy with.

Hey @BWG Cannonball, welcome to tga. :D 

I'm not much of a Kharadron expert, but that looks like a really solid list and I can offer you a few bits of feeback on what might be worth tweaking:

-First off, you can't take a Battlemage as an ally in a Kharadron army, so unless you want to run basic Order allegiance and loose all your shiny Kharadron amendments and suchlike you're gonna have to drop him. :( If you were really keen to drop Mystic Shield on your Endrinriggers and have access to a copy of Season of War: Firestorm, you could always try looking at taking Tempest's Eye allegiance for a couple of very cool first turn buffs and the option to take a Loremaster or Archmage.

-Possibly worth taking an extra grapnel launcher on the Endrinriggers for a bit more reliability? Once you get them into combat the guys with grapnel launchers will be the first models you take off anyway, so you might as well double their chances of getting there on the first turn.

-The Aethershock Earbuster's going to net you way more extra damage on an Aether-Khemist than the Staff of Ocular Optimisation if you choose to shoot last with him at a unit the rest of your army's already shot up, especially in light of the recent faq clarification.

One huge issue you'll want to address is how many drops you have. When playing KO, in particular Mhornar, you want to go first. This means you need to consider a battalion, I'm currently looking at Iron Sky Squadron myself.

Agreed with what DM said, in particular regarding the Grapnel Launcher. On a 4+ you won't see it go off much if you only have one, if you have 2 it's at least a bit above 50%. I usually take 9 with 3, the Grapnel Launcher in addition to Saws is what makes this unit so good.

Here is a  list I am considering bringing to the next tournament: 

Allegiance: Kharadron Overlords

Skyport: Barak-Mhornar
- Additional Footnote: There's No Trading With Some People

Leaders
Arkanaut Admiral (140)
- General
- Trait: Opportunistic Privateers 
- Artefact: Masterwrought Armour 
Aether-Khemist (140)
- Artefact: Aethershock Earbuster 

Battleline
30 x Arkanaut Company (360)
- 9x Light Skyhooks
10 x Arkanaut Company (120)
- 3x Light Skyhooks
10 x Arkanaut Company (120)
- 3x Aethermatic Volley Guns

Units
9 x Endrinriggers (360)
- 3x Grapnel Launchers

War Machines
Arkanaut Frigate (280)
- Main Gun: Heavy Sky Cannon
- Great Endrinworks: Prudency Chutes
Arkanaut Frigate (280)
- Main Gun: Heavy Sky Cannon

Battalions
Iron Sky Squadron (180)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 107

I originally made this list for a friend with his existing models, and he told me I was crazy :) Now, I want to go to the tournament and dominate it so I can say 'Told you so!'

I think I’ve made a good Alpha Strike list with some late game play. Basically, it’s a one drop list that will decide it gets the first turn (unless you lose the roll vs another one drop list). In the first turn, you can both run and shoot. You can also choose an enemy unit, and any models within 3” of your General can reroll hits. This is great for your Arkanaut Co, who already get a 3+ when targeting Monsters or Heroes.  You can surround (think circling the wagons) your Arkanauts with your Frigates, hopefully also gaining the benefit of the 3” reroll. If not, All Hands to Guns and reroll 1’s. The Iron Sky Squadron also adds +1 Attack to all their ranged weapons in the first turn. It’s a finesse list, that will HAMMER your opponent. Your only worry is you will be deploying first, and your opponent can counter deploy but with a 12” Deployment zone plus the run move you should have pretty good board control anyway.

The Arkanaut co of 30 are on the ground, and the Khemist makes them murder machines. They will be on your objective. Empty Frigates with 10 AC on board will grab your objectives. The first round of shooting will wipe out a good chunk of your opponents army.

Thanks for the help, guys!  I really appreciate it!

I'll have to look at other 100 point options that would function well in there.  I completely forgot that they weren't allowed as allies.

I've been debating for a while with regards to get another Frigate.  I really like that one drop list and I want to try it out.  As it stands I have 1 Frigate and 2 Ironclad (Love the Ironclad model and love the rules for it).

I do have an extra 10 Arkanaut Company I have to build still so that will figure in well to something like this.  Thank you guys again!

One thing I've noticed is a lack of Grundstock Thunderers in most lists which I'm frankly surprised at.  I love these things with a khemist buff.  Double or Triple Shot Rend -1 Rifles en-masse has worked out great for me in the past.

Also, what's everyone's thoughts on Skywardens?  The 100 Points makes me think of them as a list-filler possibility.

14 minutes ago, BWG Cannonball said:

One thing I've noticed is a lack of Grundstock Thunderers in most lists which I'm frankly surprised at.  I love these things with a khemist buff.  Double or Triple Shot Rend -1 Rifles en-masse has worked out great for me in the past.

Also, what's everyone's thoughts on Skywardens?  The 100 Points makes me think of them as a list-filler possibility.

Skywardens are great, they have enough firepower to provide a threat to heroes and speed to get to where they need to go. Park them in cover and annoy!

5 hours ago, Dez said:

Skywardens are great, they have enough firepower to provide a threat to heroes and speed to get to where they need to go. Park them in cover and annoy!

Nice!  In terms of Fire Power, I'm assuming giving them one of the guns then instead of just going with Skypikes?

27 minutes ago, BWG Cannonball said:

Nice!  In terms of Fire Power, I'm assuming giving them one of the guns then instead of just going with Skypikes?

You can give one the Volley, another the Drill and give the Skypike to the Custodian.

On 16/03/2018 at 12:47 PM, BWG Cannonball said:

just a fyi. you cant put more than one khemist buff on any one weapon type now. so "triple shot" cant be a thing. unless you physically mean thier firing 3 shots with a single buff

Hi all

this is my list for 2K pts. 

Barak-Urbaz Skyport

Leader

Arkanaut Admiral (140)

Commandtrait: Fleetmaster

Artifact: Masterwrought Armour

Aether-Khemist (140)

Artifact: Staff of Ocular Optimisation

Aether-Khemist (140)

Aether-Khemist(140)

Battleline

Arkanaut Company (120) 

-Light Skyhook x 3

Arkanaut Company (120) 

-Light Skyhook x 3

Arkanaut Company (120) 

-Light Skyhook x 3

Warmachine

Arkanaut Frigte (280)

-The Last word

Units

Skywarden x 12 (400)

-Drill Cannon x 4

-Aether Cannon x 4

Skywarden x 12 (400)

-Drill Cannon x 4

-Aether Cannon x 4

2,000/2,000 pts.

So we going to play first as always. 3 khemist can buff 6 weapon.

shoot all to general or a key unit of enemy and can took it down in a first turn 95%+ if you not roll a very very bad dice.lol

I used to kill Nagash , Megaboss on Maw-Krusha , Neferata , 5 x Morghast Archai at first turn. 

On 3/18/2018 at 7:24 AM, wanderingrogue said:

just a fyi. you cant put more than one khemist buff on any one weapon type now. so "triple shot" cant be a thing. unless you physically mean thier firing 3 shots with a single buff

The Triple Shot I get from the Grundstock Thunderer's Aether-rifles.  They're 2 shots base, so with the Khemist it makes them 3 a piece.

• 3 weeks later...

Wardens are great as a group of three with volleygun and grapnel launcher.  At only 100 pts, they are a utility unit.  You can screen, grab objectives, and shooting is long range and just enough that your opponent has to deal with them.  I've taken the drill cannon, but with only one shot it just doesn't do enough compared to the mobility the grapnel potentially provides (at least in a small unit)

Archived