How to use a skaven Army

Skreech Verminking

Hi Guys,

so i am playing aos since it exists, but for some reasome i can‘t really Build a good (and only) Skaven Mixed army.

So my next armylist for a 2000points tournament would contain:

1Grey seer=120p

1Skaven Warlord=100p

1Arch-Warlock=140p

Battleine:

5times 40Clanrats=1000p

3times 20Clanrats=360p

2times 20plague monks=280p

total Pointsvalue=2000

So I was wondering, in you guys Coups maybe give me your opinion about this List.

1 hour ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Hi Guys,

so i am playing aos since it exists, but for some reasome i can‘t really Build a good (and only) Skaven Mixed army.

1Grey seer=120p

1Skaven Warlord=100p

1Arch-Warlock=140p

Battleine:

5times 40Clanrats=1000p

3times 20Clanrats=360p

total Pointsvalue=2000

So I was wondering, in you guys Coups maybe give me your opinion about this List.

So I was wondering, if you guys could give me your opinion about this list

3 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Hi Guys,

1Grey seer=120p

1Skaven Warlord=100p

1Arch-Warlock=140p

Battleine:

5times 40Clanrats=1000p

3times 20Clanrats=360p

total Pointsvalue=2000

Commissar Rat!

I'm assuming your Grey Seer is your general, so the Warlord is a bit of dead weight. A warlock Engineer will do a better job there. 

If you can, I suggest you replace one unit of 20x plague monks for a Doomwheel, so that you have a behemoth for the scenarios that require hero/behemoth for objective capturing.

And one unit of 20 clanrats for 2x gutter runners/mortars/skryre acolytes would also give you a bit more flexibility to how you'd approach a fight. 

Otherwise, your list seems solid. You need to keep the Grey Seer alive, but if you manage that, I'm sure most people would struggle against you. We don't have much data on a huge skaven horde army, since most people burn out before they paint that many, so do let us know how it goes! :D

Edit: I just realised your list has 13 units. So nevermind swapping clanrats for mortars, and make the gutter runners/acolytes a single unit if you do swap. The Great horned Rat demands it :D

Thanks for the hint.

I like the idea of tropping the warlord for a warlock engineer, as well as the idea of replacing 20clanrats, for 2mortars or ten Acolytes?

But i’m Not really to keen about taking the doomwheels, since the just die to fast .

well, I do have  260clanrats at home, but believe me, painting literally all of them is very frustrating.?

I may not have painted them all up yet, but halve of them are more or less finished.

I would recommend dropping the plague monks and smaller units of Clan rats for a mix of weapon teams, warp lightning cannons, and stormfeinds and packmaster. It would add some range and high damage output units 

From my experiences with a horde beastmen army and using a 40 strong clanrat unit in my skryre army, your original list would probably struggle with monsters and other durable units which will deal more damage than they take. So good ranged units and a few hard hitters would help kill them quicker. 

Though with 300 rats you might have enough to overwhelm anything. It would be fun to play against.

The problem with your list is the Durthu and Stardrake. You have no rend and little mortal wounds. I would recommend on top of the weapon teams some other hammers such as stormvermin or rat ogres. Or any ranged flavor you prefer. Without it, clanrats are just going to die and do nothing.

1 hour ago, Cerlin said:

The problem with your list is the Durthu and Stardrake. You have no rend and little mortal wounds. I would recommend on top of the weapon teams some other hammers such as stormvermin or rat ogres. Or any ranged flavor you prefer. Without it, clanrats are just going to die and do nothing.

Assuming Durthu gets into close combat at all. Clanrats have the liberty of choosing whether they want to fight him or not, since he's super slow with his 5 movement. Every resource the opponent is using in an attempt to get Durthu into close combat with a bunch of clanrats is resources not spent getting him into close combat with the much squishier weapon teams and heroes. 

Stardrake does not share the movement issue, but will be hard pressed to chew through enough clanrats to make a difference.

When working with these amounts, the goal is no longer to kill the opponent. Simply outlast, outmaneouver, and outgrow him. A scary single monster will lose a contested objective against two measly clanrats ;) Age of Sigmar is a game where killing is a means to achieving victory, and Skaven have the liberty of forgoing that method in favour of heavy objective play, with some pew pew killing on the side of course. 

5 hours ago, Cerlin said:

Yeah, I guess your probably right, so should I rather go with 485 Brimstone Horrors and some kind of hero .?

(just joking) I’ll probably throw the 3units of 20Clanrats out and switch them with two warplightningcannon or 4Ratogres and a Packmaster.

Archived