How to best assemble ardboys

N_Watson

Having already built a unit with as many 2h weapons as I can and 1 with a shield to use the reroll wound rule, is this the optimal way to do it? 

Can much be said for all shields or all dual wielding? 

Just got another box and still have 5 to build from my last one so any suggestions would be great! 

Due to having 2 sets of command, will be 1 unit of 10 and 1 unit of 20 

It still baffles me that they're not just all the options now, it's 40K levels of complicated, all these different armaments :D I have seen somewhere suggested that as many as 8 shields to 2 great weapons is best to just tarpit wounds and have some rend. I didn't even know you had enough options on the sprues for it though, isn't there like 4 shields? and 4 bodies are great weapons?

• 1 month later...

Most seem to say few shields, rest 2h. Am I missing something?

The 2h loses one attack and gains -1 rend against choppa and smasha. This means the 2h choppa needs to fight something with 2+ save to be better than the choppa and smasha choice (on 3+ they are equal). 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually with you, I'm making a majority (20) with 2 choppas and smashas and the rest (10) with big choppas, mostly because there aren't enough choppas and smashas in the kit. The shields don't seem to be worth it for me, saving 1:6 wounds just doesn't seem to help enough on 2W 4+ models, especially when it means losing 1/3 of their killing power.

7 minutes ago, Furious said:

How does it work with the shields, though? Say, out of 20, you give two shields. Can you field them at the back? Decide when to use their saving roll - but once they fail, it's a wound on the shielded model, correct?

Correct, you can assign wounds to them first, so you do get to use the shields as much as you like, you'll never miss a chance to put a wound on them, but hey, who has a hand for a shield when you're holding a choppa and a basha?

11 minutes ago, Furious said:

Likely, if you're running them toward the back of the mob and apply the rolls on all wounds taken, they won't have a chance to see combat anyway.

True, but there's also the chance of the early double turn, which with how fast Ironjawz can be, would mean you could likely get them all into combat unharmed, especially since you've got other units they'll want to shoot at too! Maybe it's the orc in me, but I just prefer not compromising my offense. :)

Archived