Competitive Death - Where do we sit?

Major

Just now, Major said:

I want to see The First Cohort hitting tables and winning. It is so awesome.

Honestly man, First Cohort seems like the most powerful choice of this book so far. Its fast, powerful, resistant to the current meta of shooting and does a great job of showing just how crazy Nagash is on the table top. Honestly, the biggest problems it faces is lack of bodies and attacks.

Anywho, I'll drop my list here as well.

Allegiance: Legion of Sacrament
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
- General
- Lore of the Dead: Amaranthine Orb (Vampires)
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon(440)
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Artefact: Shroud of Darkness 
- Lore of the Vampires: Amethystine Pinions
Necromancer (110)
- Artefact: Wristbands of Black Gold 
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Fading Vigour
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280)
- Ancient Spears
- Ancient Spears
10 x Skeleton Warriors (80)
- Ancient Blades
5 x Black Knights (120)
Mortis Engine (180)
Lords of Sacrament (70)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Undeadly said:

Honestly man, First Cohort seems like the most powerful choice of this book so far. Its fast, powerful, resistant to the current meta of shooting and does a great job of showing just how crazy Nagash is on the table top. Honestly, the biggest problems it faces is lack of bodies and attacks.

Anywho, I'll drop my list here as well.

- General
Necromancer (110)
Necromancer (110)
- Ancient Spears
- Ancient Spears
- Ancient Blades
5 x Black Knights (120)
Mortis Engine (180)
Lords of Sacrament (70)

Yeha I was hoping it was strong as I need to build it out of the army I have anyway. So my lists are limited. I can make a 2k list out of the following stuff...

1 Nagash
1 Arkhan the Black
1 Neferata
1 Wight King
2 Necromancers
4 Morghast Arkai
50 Skeletons with Spears
20 Skeletons with swords
10 graveguard with swords and boards
10 Black Knights
10 Hexwraiths

15 hours ago, Major said:

- General
Necromancer (110)
Necromancer (110)
- Ancient Spears
- Ancient Spears
- Ancient Blades
5 x Black Knights (120)
Mortis Engine (180)
Lords of Sacrament (70)

@ Major, I like this list.  Similar to something I have been 'theory hammering'  I think the VLOZD looks incredible.  I'm thinking that maybe two would be more incredible.  Any thoughts on giving wristbands to another one?  Obviously you would then have to find the points but would love your thoughts.

My list at the moment is...

Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon(440) General - Command ability (copy Arkhans command ability) - artifact shroud of darkness
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon(440) - artifact wristbands
Necromancer (110)
Necromancer (110)
10 Wolfs (120), 5 Wolfs (60), 5 Wolfs (60),5 Wolfs (60) 

Mortis Engine (180)

Lords of Sacrament (70)
Total 1970

I like that the list can be only 3 drops.  But the lack of bodies worries me.  However I think the healing/raising potential can make the dogs more resilliant than skellies, plus they have amazing movement to claim objectives.  Would love others thoughts on improving.

Thanks

Jon 

6 minutes ago, Jon Jones said:

@ Major, I like this list.  Similar to something I have been 'theory hammering'  I think the VLOZD looks incredible.  I'm thinking that maybe two would be more incredible.  Any thoughts on giving wristbands to another one?  Obviously you would then have to find the points but would love your thoughts.

Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon(440) General - Command ability (copy Arkhans command ability) - artifact shroud of darkness
Necromancer (110)
Necromancer (110)

Mortis Engine (180)

Lords of Sacrament (70)
Total 1970

I like that the list can be only 3 drops.  But the lack of bodies worries me.  However I think the healing/raising potential can make the dogs more resilliant than skellies, plus they have amazing movement to claim objectives.  Would love others thoughts on improving.

Thanks

Jon 

Eh, see, I think that can have some pretty good damage out-put, but the problems become apparent when one of your VLoZD die; suddenly, your entire damage out put decreases by 1/3. 

Also, you leave your Necromancers somewhat vulnerable to attacks, since they can no longer take a mount so they'll get left behind in the dirt, and aren't really getting all that much use out of them. Sure, OD and FV are awesome spells, but they only have a 18" range. And most of the time, you'll be giving the more important stuff over to Arkhan to cast. So all you can do with VDM is put it on your wolves, which can be fighty, sure, but lack the lethality of 40 skeletons. 

Wolves also lack the bodies. At most, you have 25 wolves, which will want to be moving to get that charge. That is 50 wounds, but 50 wounds that are harder to regrow, and those 50 wounds wont count towards holding objectives. In matches where there is, say, 1 objective, this can be a problem. I'd say drop a unit of wolves for a Corpse cart, as it will help reliably heal your units, while boosting their DI rolls.

Also, your VLoZD can't be your general; if Arkhan is part of a LoS army, he MUST be your general.

Oh gosh yes I am sure you are right about Arkhan being general.  Don't have the book on me but you are sparking a memory, will change that thanks.  I am of course theory hammering and so your comments are very helpful 'Undeadly' and I do want you to prove me wrong to help me improve my list but I am not going to roll over just yet. lol! Some quick replies to your thoughts just to stir up a little debate.... 

You are right if one VLOZD dies a third of the hitting power goes but hopefully his maneuverability means I won't allow him to get into a poor combat and he will be much harder to kill through shooting than 40 skellies.  So I only see advantages really... 

The necros may have 24" range (Arkhans command ability who is now general lol) They are fairly hard to kill with a 5+, 4+ but if they are killed I may not mind too much as that means other objective scoring units are not taking the flack.

50 wounds that are harder to regrow, but not that much harder (or am I missing something?) Plus they are twice as hard to kill than skellies right?  They are incredibly maneuverable and I don't think I actually want them to kill big stuff.  I have other units for that.  I want them to claim/deny objectives. 

Thank you for your thoughts

Jon   

I played a 1000pt game last night against stormcast & did really well playing knife to the heart;

his list was;

Allegiance: Order
Lord-Castellant (100)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender 
- Artefact: Mirrorshield 
- Mystic Light: Lantern of the Tempest
Celestant-Prime (340)
5 x Judicators (160)
- Skybolt Bows
10 x Liberators (200)
- Warhammers
5 x Paladin Protectors (200)

Total: 1000 / 1000

mine was;

- General
- Lore of the Dead: Vile Transference (Vampires)
Cairn Wraith (60)
Necromancer (110)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
9 x Spirit Hosts (360)

Total: 970 / 1000

basically denied half the board judicators came down turn 2, magic and one unit of wolves killed off half the unit, turn 3 prime and protectors came down & failed both their charges. Hosts ate the unit of 10 libs with double pile in, turn 4 prime dies to magic, units heal back up to full. I won the minor on points killed but if i was less defensive with my dogs I could have easily won that game :) in the process of putting together and painting my 2000pts but should be fun & interesting to play

Nagash Supreme Lord Of The Undead (800) 
- General
- Lores of the Dead Spell 1 : Overwhelming Dread (Deathmages)
- Lores of the Dead Spell 2 : Fading Vigour (Deathmages)
- Lores of the Dead Spell 3 : Soul Harvest (Deathmages)
Necromancer (110) 
- Artefact : Grave-sand Timeglass
- Lore of the Deathmages : Decrepify
Necromancer (110) 
- Artefact : Ossific Diadem
- Lore of the Deathmages : Spectral Grasp

2 x Morghast Archai (220) 
-Spirit Halberds
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280) 
-Ancient Spears
20 x Skeleton Warriors (160) 
-Ancient Blades
10 x Grave Guard (160)
-Wight Blades & Crypt Shields

Total: 2000 / 2000 Allies: 0 / 400 Leaders: 3/6 Battlelines: 4 (3+) Behemoths: 1/4 Artillery: 0/4 Wounds: 108
============================================

Because Nagash is in this army, one of my Necromancers can take an Artifact of Nagash. The second Necromancer gets one too thanks to the battalion and fact it is in the Grand Host of Nagash alliance.

I've given Nagash the best of the Lore spells as his +3 to casting (without wounds) gives him the best chance of popping them off.

The 2 Necros are there so they can stick close to battleline and add extra heal/res as well as irrirtate the opponent with movement debufs when near terrain or debuffs to thier heros that might be used to fight.

All Units already have the 6+ Deathless Minions save on top of their standard save.
Nagash can shift wounds onto the Morghast Arkai (who are also at +1 attacks thanks to Grand Host Alliance)
Everything on the table is re-rolling hit and save rolls of 1 thanks to the Supreme Lord of Death Command Ability
Most of the time the unit of 40 skeleton warriors will be piling in and attacking twice in the combat phase (I would always choose this unit as they have the best range in melee and you add 1 to the Attacks characteristic of melee weapons if it has 20 or more models. Add 2 instead if it has 30 or more models. So a unit of 40 can potentially put out !!!246!!! attacks, hitting/wounding on 4+ re-rolling hit rolls of 1).

The Skeletons and Graveguard are getting heals from
Gravesite Invigorating Aura
Deathly Invocation - Nagash (Automatic 3 so no need to roll a D3 on up to 5 summonable units).
Deathly Invocation - Necromancer (D3 on 2 summonable units)
Deathly Invocation - Necromancer (D3 on 2 summonable units)
Legions Innumerable (D3 wounds/models back on a 5+ for each summonable unit on the battlefield)Ok guys. I think I have a list.... Tell me what you think....

9 minutes ago, Major said:

Nagash can shift wounds onto the Morghast Arkai (who are also at +1 to hit thanks to Grand Host Alliance)

The Morghasts get +1 attack, not +1 to hit :) you get 4 halberd strikes per Morghast with Grand host Nagash.

On 8.03.2018 at 4:11 PM, Jon Jones said:

Necromancer (110)
Necromancer (110)

Mortis Engine (180)

Lords of Sacrament (70)
Total 1970

Thanks

Jon 

VLoZD cannot be your general.

"A LEGION OF SACRAMENT army may include any of the units in this battletome, apart from Nagash. If it includes any MORTARCHS , then it must include Arkhan the Black, and he must be the army’s general."

6 minutes ago, Arael_Greywings said:

Where did you get that from?

Nearest I could see he gets 1 Spell from either Death or Vampire Lore, but can cast all spells known to others on the field?

p62 under the Magic section of Grand Host of Nagash

Archived