Are Varanguard worth the 300pts in a non-archaon list?

Snakeb1te

I'm building a mixed chaos 2000pt army, and I love the varanguard models - but how do they fare on the table? I feel like they're not worth 100pts each without Archaon.

For reference 1000pts is a mixture of StD warriors and knights with Chaos Lord

The other 1000pts is a big demonic unit from each of the four gods.

Don't need to go too much into detail with it - but how do they perform generally for their cost?

They can only take "generic" buffs, i.e. sorcerer lord, warshrine etc. 

I love the models, it's a shame that they aren't more usable.

That being said, there's hope for a StD battletome that would ostensibly bring Archie [and Varanguard] into their own. I've been waiting for these guys to get some love.

Yeah I hope they will eventually change/update the Warscroll a little bit. I had a brief discussion about them last year and they basically don't match their own narrative which in turn has lead them to be a rather odd/irrelevant choice for Everchosen without Archaon and even with Archaon it leads to oddities in list building.

Fortunatly Archaon has all the Chaos Marks so we can include him everywhere but the age of their design is quite showing a bit. So for me the reason to use them is the rule of cool, they look awesome but that's about it.

Having said that the whole split between Everchosen and Slaves to Darkness remains strange no matter how you turn it. If they where more popular (Chaos Undivided in particular) I'm sure GW would have adressed it by now but other than Archaon I don't think GW is too impressed by their populairity.

I think they're fine with Fellspears and a charge. The double pile-in /attack ability is fantastic if you have a good target. They can really wreck stuff. If they charge an identically-costed  unit of Stormfiends, they will very likely kill them in 2 phases and walk away with 2-3 guys to go and hassle someone else. As someone implied, they're like cheap junior Chaos Lords that run around in a gang. They kinda just have to do so independently of the rest of your army...

Archived