Bases for Wight King

Phil D

Hi all, first time posting on this forum so I hope this is the right place. In preparing for the impending invasion of Shyish by the other grand alliances, I have purchased the Blade of the Blood Queen battleforce. When it arrived I checked it over and found that the Wight King had been supplied with a square base. As all my other models have round bases, but I thought it would be simple to change but the front of the Wight King's right foot is cast as part of the base.

I contacted Games Workshop about it and, so far, they have said they haven't had this problem before and can't suggest a solution. I have pointed out that on the website the pictures of the Wight King on both the battleforce page and the Deathrattle Barrow Lords page show the Wight King on a round base, with a different layout from the one I have. I'm waiting for them to get back to me about this.

My question, at last, is has anyone else come across this and how did you solve it? I'm not very good at modelling so don't want to take on a complicated conversion, although I am willing to give something simple a go.

Some people have gone square to round by clipping away all the sides and then also the top corners of the square bases (note that these would be bases that are "empty" underneath rather than the older slotta bases etc.) and then gluing the entire thing on top of a round base. It doesn't seem to take too much green stuff/texture paint to cover up the ridges that the square-on-round attachment creates.

Since your Wight King is a character it should really be given a 32mm round base, so the 25mm square base (or is it 20mm?) should only need minor clipping on a couple of corners to ensure it doesn't stick out over the edges of the round one.

The Wight King clam pack hasn't been redone to replace it with a round base version - the Banshee and Necromancer were the same as well (though something tells me one of those has been redone).

The way I did mine was similar to how @Tommy says.  I used a set of clippers to cut away the edge of the base and then spent half an hour rubbing the base thin on a piece of sandpaper.  That whole thing then got glued to a regular 32mm base.  It's a bit of a pain I'll agree, but worth the extra time.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies, I'll try clipping the base and gluing to a round base. Should be within my modelling skills!

If you look at the pictures on the GW website they are completely different to the actual model. The picture shows him on a round base with his left foot forward on a slab/gravestone and his right foot back concealed by his cloak. The actual model is on a square base with his right foot forward on the floor and his left foot back concealed by his cloak.

GW getting rid of old stock I would say!

Thanks again.

27 minutes ago, Phil D said:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies, I'll try clipping the base and gluing to a round base. Should be within my modelling skills!

If you look at the pictures on the GW website they are completely different to the actual model. The picture shows him on a round base with his left foot forward on a slab/gravestone and his right foot back concealed by his cloak. The actual model is on a square base with his right foot forward on the floor and his left foot back concealed by his cloak.

GW getting rid of old stock I would say!

Thanks again.

Wouldn't surprise me on that :)

2 hours ago, Phil D said:

That's very strange. Especially since when looking at the entry for the Wight King on the GW site, he has a square base but with his left foot on the stone slab as you said, but in the Blade of the Blood Queen entry it's the same model but on a round base (clearly just transplanted and covered up with texture paint). Would love to see a picture of your model, without the slab.

Edit: Can't find any image of a model like the one you describe on Google, they all have their left foot on the slab.

Oops how embarrassing! Having looked closely at the sprue (the model hasn't been built yet), it does look like the picture on the box. I had focused too much on the base without looking properly at the other bits.

(Quick bluster and get angry, people won't notice how silly you've been)

I think it's disgusting that GW can send out old models on square bases when the art work on the box clearly shows them to have round bases! I'm going to write to my MP about this,  THIS MINUTE!!

(I think I got away with it.............

No you didn't)

Hi Swooper sorry if I've wasted your time looking into a problem that didn't exist.

Archived