Spirit hosts

Slaanesh

What do you guys think about spirithosts? I have only played 1 game of aos yet but I have gone through the warscrolls trying to figure out what army i want go play, and spirit hosts seems pretty good. 4+ save with no rend. And 6 attacks with mortal wound on 6s. And flying 6" movement. 

So I like them,but I have never used them in a game, how are you using them and are they doing good for you?

They are great! Never had a game where they didn't perform. One good roll and you're dealing tons of damage! They can easily fluff as well, but if they do they'll ignore a lot of enemy damage. Give them a mystic shield for extra tanking.

Summon them to the board also. Their 6 inch movement means they take a long time to get where you need them... Which is to annoyingly hold up big hitty characters. Summoning allows you to form up a screen of them in front of your army, then slap a mystic on them and watch most things fall apart against as they try try and try again to get through your space marine save ?

Nah if you want the spirits take the starter set formation. You can summon them 6" in front of the mortis then move them after, and then charge. Makes them as mobile as they need to be. For instnace you can put them on the corner of the map, and then summon them 6" from the mortis engine thats in your enemies deployment or something. 

As said above they love vamp lord on zombie dragon and at 6 models strong can be one of the most devastating units death has access to.

Thanks for the answers! Do you think an army with 2 starter battalions and maxed out, or as much as I can fit, spirit hosts would be viable =) . 

And maybe a vampire on zombie Dragon and 2 units of zombies as battleline.

But I guess spirit hosts wont work as the main damage dealer. And to bad van hels dont work on them

If you did two start battalions i would deploy all the spirit host in one 6 man unit, and then deploy 1 hex wraith unit with the mortis engine all as part of the one battalion. From here you could make a coven throne, but with a zombie dragon as well this will get pricy (you might find you don't actually have enough stuff).  

This is awesome because the spirits will stay in the very back of the battle field. While the mortis engine throws the hexwraith forward as a net. The hex wraiths will get stomped, but most likely will live due to ignoring rend. Then your mortis engine should be in position to summon your spirits front into the enemy battle lines, and with a buff from the vamp on dragon they will kill anything in a turn more or less. 

Spirit hosts are amazing. I've never had a game where they didn't scare the ****** out of my opponent. Last game 3 of them took out 10 empire knights. Once I rolled 8 sixes on their attack. I have 9 of them now. They are one of the best things to summon for sure. 

On 7/6/2016 at 8:02 AM, WoollyMammoth said:

Spirit hosts are amazing. I've never had a game where they didn't scare the ****** out of my opponent. Last game 3 of them took out 10 empire knights. Once I rolled 8 sixes on their attack. I have 9 of them now. They are one of the best things to summon for sure. 

Man, I always have back luck with my spirit hosts and tomb banshees you must have some magic dice rolling or something. xD

Hexwraiths are also an alternative to spirit hosts and as said above casting shield on them makes them little tanks. Hexwraiths don't have the mortal on a 6to hit though. But they do have 12" fly move. I always take 1 unit to camp an objective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually not the biggest hexwraith fan. i think they are best used as a wall for high rend models, as your ability to summon them make get them where they need to go not a problem, and the fly lets them retreat well.

This said when iwant a real tank, and if you already employ a corpse cart Zombie dogs are where it's at. 60 points for 4+ save and 10 wounds is a steal. The attack back isn't so far off from the hexwraiths, but really it's that fat doggy booty that you just throw right in the middle of the enemy's plans. 

Nighthaunt faction might be the new up and rising star. With death alliance ability, they ignore rend, potentially ignore mortal wounds on 5+, bring back again on a 6. they really become a nice wall??

Sure though you can't make a nighthaunt alliegence army. So you'll have to fill with something else like skels, zombies, ghouls to get battle line.  Otherwise you have no battleline.

Also the save is better the worse your own personal save is. The way scaling works. Defensive buffs are strongest on the least defensive unit (except mystic shield as it doesn't give you a 6+??).  While offensive buffs usualy are best on your strongest offensive unit as it scale better exponentially. This is a usual rule of thumb.

Anyway the Deathless minion works best on zombies> skels/ghouls>everything else. 

Spirit Hosts are Battleline if the army is all nighthaunt. You surrender the chance of using any command abilities (other than inspiring presence) and magic, but your entire army ignores rend and does Mortal Wounds.

Hmm... Not a bad deal, that.

Archived