Destruction presence in masters

Fridge_Opener

2 hours ago, broche said:

I think Bonesplitterz and Ironjawz are competitive army. Bonesplitterz just finished 2nd and 4th places at last tournament so can't complain here. There must be a good build of Beastclaw raider? Like Thundertusk with 60 gitmob  + shaman as allies?

I don't think they can ally with non ogre/troll stuff sadly, as gutbusters cant

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Fridge_Opener said:

I don't think they can ally with non ogre/troll stuff sadly, as gutbusters cant

That's right, although they could take Gutbusters Grots (Gnoblars) instead.  I'm not aware of anyone having had success with it (Beastclaw are rarely taken now, and usually rock bottom when they are).  But on paper it sounds like a strong combo.

I tried gutbuster grots to screen thundertusks, but moonclan they are not.

the gutbuster ones are simply too weak with no anti-charge tricks and high in the running for worst warscroll in the game. so slow that they hamper your thundertusk movement and 20 of them have a tough time dealing with even two tree revenants.

Plus let's be honest, thundertusks aren't even good. Once you get over the initial first impression of reading 6 mortal wounds at 18" and start realizing they have nothing else for almost 400 points, and they don't even have that after one round of shooting from even battleline archers. They're salt-inducing to mortal khorne and brand new players who don't know how to be careful with buff hero positioning. For any other situation they're super overpriced one-trick pony that gets a few wounds on turn one and then doesn't do much. In fact it sits in a terrible place, since it's frustrating for very new players and bad against competitive players I'd be up for a warscroll redesign, but that's another topic.

45 minutes ago, heywoah_twitch said:

I tried gutbuster grots to screen thundertusks, but moonclan they are not.

the gutbuster ones are simply too weak with no anti-charge tricks and high in the running for worst warscroll in the game. so slow that they hamper your thundertusk movement and 20 of them have a tough time dealing with even two tree revenants.

Don't say that, I'm starting out with Gutbusters and I've got 60 of them on the way!  I quite liked the aesthetic (a bit different from normal grots), and the 6 attacks each (albeit rubbish stats) sounded like it would do a bit.  But mainly they are there for screening and board control.  

Spot on with your comments on the Thundertusk.

5 hours ago, heywoah_twitch said:

Plus let's be honest, thundertusks aren't even good. Once you get over the initial first impression of reading 6 mortal wounds at 18" and start realizing they have nothing else for almost 400 points, and they don't even have that after one round of shooting from even battleline archers. They're salt-inducing to mortal khorne and brand new players who don't know how to be careful with buff hero positioning. For any other situation they're super overpriced one-trick pony that gets a few wounds on turn one and then doesn't do much. In fact it sits in a terrible place, since it's frustrating for very new players and bad against competitive players I'd be up for a warscroll redesign, but that's another topic.

This is so true.

I have always thought the following would be a fine mid-table list.

Allegiance: Beastclaw Raiders
Leaders
Frostlord on Stonehorn (460)
- Artefact : Blade of All Frost
Huskard on Thundertusk (380)
- Blood Vulture
Huskard on Thundertusk (380)
- Blood Vulture
Icebrow Hunter (140)
- General
- Command Trait : Everwinter's Master
- Artefact : Elixir of Frostwyrm
Butcher (140)

Units
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
2 x Frost Sabres (40)
20 x Grots (100)
20 x Grots (100)

Battalions
Skal (110)

Reinforcement Points (0)
Total: 1970 / 2000

I run a big unit screening my army from alpha strike in my gutbusters list and they take a bit of shifting. They can effectively hold murderhost and many alpha strike lists as they either go first against you and hope to do 32 wounds to you (the minimum needed to wipe the grots with battleshock) or they give you turn one and you make them unbreakable. They just have no roll in a mixed destruction list as other grots are similarly priced, have better rules and are battleline 

Archived