Wanna Start Tomb Kings but how?!

Congratz

I feel the pain in this thread.

I tried to get into my second choice of Darkling Covens, but my mind kept going back to TK. In the end, I just had to pull the trigger.

A combination of reckless eBay spending, China (ahem...) and Malifaux critters are slowly bringing some of it together, but I am absolutely screwed on the snake surfers.

As for Ushabti, GW must realise that there is $$$ to be made on a resin or metal Made to Order run, surely? They are even more expensive than Diazettes/Diazseekers were prior to their Made to Order run, and that's saying something.

I am primarily looking to build the following list, but am grabbing any TK model I can get my hands on:

Royal Warsphinx (Master of Black Arts + Cursed Book)

Tomb Herald (mounted)

Skeleton Chariot x 9

Necropolis Knights x 6

Ushabti with Bows x 12

Carrion x 3

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea unfortunately outside of buying mantic Empire of Dust range (even that option is currently quite limited), it's going to cost an arm and a leg (all belong to Settra!) to make a TK army. 

I honestly kind of wished Arkhan had his own personal TK army he could use, justifying having the models still in production.

On 2/26/2018 at 6:28 PM, kenshin620 said:

Yea unfortunately outside of buying mantic Empire of Dust range (even that option is currently quite limited), it's going to cost an arm and a leg (all belong to Settra!) to make a TK army. 

I honestly kind of wished Arkhan had his own personal TK army he could use, justifying having the models still in production.

Problem is that Arkhan was never really a TK character in the first place all of his narrative was actually in the VC book(GW only really put him in there because VC focused on vampires) since Mannfred actually was gathering all the pieces of Nagash. Most people I have talked to on the net and real life agree Arkhan was in the wrong army book lore wise and ability wise(since he is a necromancer) As soon as end times started Arkhan did the logical thing and jumped ship and joined Mannfred since that's where his objective was. He even had a necromancer coven, zombies and even an undead cat. 

58 minutes ago, shinros said:

Problem is that Arkhan was never really a TK character in the first place all of his narrative was actually in the VC book(GW only really put him in there because VC focused on vampires) since Mannfred actually was gathering all the pieces of Nagash. Most people I have talked to on the net and real life agree Arkhan was in the wrong army book lore wise and ability wise(since he is a necromancer) As soon as end times started Arkhan did the logical thing and jumped ship and joined Mannfred since that's where his objective was. He even had a necromancer coven, zombies and even an undead cat. 

Well I kind of meant by "hey Settra you lost, Nagash won. Arkhan inherits all your stuff as war trophies!"

I mean what else are they going to do with all those leftover sphinxes!

Arkhan was a liche, and liches went to tomb kings.  Arkhan rode a chariot, and chariots went to tomb kings.  Arkhan was barely mentioned in either vamp count or tomb king books from the time the undead faction was split to the time he was reintroduced as a tomb king special character.

Arkhan was absolutely more a tomb kings character than a vamp counts one, both thematically and in the literal sense.

Shame there's not much in the way of meaningful mechanical overlap to run him as such.  What little there was, with TK summoning and healing spells, is gone now.  I still hold out hope that one day the deathrattle range will expand to cover TK ideas, in the process allowing tomb kings to run counts as with a fully supported ruleset, but until then... oh well.

Here is the thing narratively speaking  Arkhan could obtain TK stuff due to the fact Nehekhara is by definition one of the sub-realms of death within Shyish. Indeed, the notion of Nagash invading each sub-realm is noted time and time again as a means for him to obtain further mastery over the varying "demi-gods" of death. In this context it is not implausible to ascertain that Arkhan could in fact enter a realm that reflects Nehekhara given it is known within the minds of him and others, as well as in written text and spoken stories being used in the mortal realms. Therefore by being know it is brought into existing.

In this manner if Nagash orders it Arkhan could enter slaughter and gather artifacts, denizens and weapons of war for his own use.

19 hours ago, Graftonianman said:

Anyone tried the tomb herald? With it you can resurrect 2 chariots each unit a turn. 

With settra, you can get a lot of command ability buffs. 

Yep. This was my exact thinking with the list above.

Herald brings one model back (i.e. not D6 or D3 for hordes), so it makes sense to run elite Desert Legions units rather than basic infantry/cavalry.

With Necro Knights also having the crucial DESERT LEGIONS keyword, they too would bring back up to two models per turn.

I would run 3x3 chariots as battleline and 2x3 Necro Knights (with Royal Warsphinx or Settra as general for wound-roll buff, and MotBA for Mystic Shield), with any of those five units regerating back up to three models unless completely annihilated.

I wish I could run two Heralds (i.e. with one as backup and/or five bonus wounds for the general), but an additional twleve Ushabti with Bows takes me to 2020.

Has anyone had any success with a big blob of Carrion? Looks like it could auto-delete a 5-wound buffing hero more reliably than spamming over-costed (especially with the Necrotect tax) Screaming Skulls.

6 minutes ago, Sception said:

I'd be inclined to run 6 necroknights instead of 2x3.  Less likely to lose a whole unit at a time.  Can't heal a unit if there aren't any left.

Yes, this is correct.

I was blinded by potentially doublng the number of regenerated Necro Knights, and the fact that the Royal Warsphinx ability is a general enemy wound-debuff rather than a single friendly unit wound-buff.

Plus, one unit means the Master of the Black Arts can Mystic Shield more of the 80-point buggers.

How have the 12 Ushabti tested? Not being able to get the +1 from formerly Khalida keeps me away from trying them out....

Has anyone tried the Royal Legion of Chariots? My question is, is it better to get the double +1 (WSB and Formerly Settra) Or drop the warscroll and 2 units for another  3 Necro Knights?

5 hours ago, Graftonianman said:

Royal legion of chariots was the only way to take chariots. GW removed the point cost for the battalion so it’s not valid for matched play anymore. 

The knights are pretty tuff, especially with a Herald. 

How do you mean?

You can still take chariots, surely? As battleline to boot, and with warscroll + Herald regeneration (i.e. up to 2 per unit per turn).

Plus, you can take Royal Chariot as General for a charge reroll (although I think he is the worst of the five options for General).

chariots are still decent. Tied with necroknights for best recursion mechanic in the game, solid number of attacks on the charge, decent speed, decent buffing opportunities, battleline.  They're basically better black knights that also fill compulsory slots.  It's a shame about losing the battalion, but I was personally always skeptical of it.  I usually find that two units of chariots is about as many as I want to run, and I'm not a fan of the tomb king chariot.

Ugh that’s a lot of skeletons! Also, it would be difficult to get all 90 archers within 20” and farther that 3”. That 45 wounds is pretty tough to get, even on only 1 turn. 

How about Tomb Gaurd with settra and a royal Sphinx? That would be double wounds on a 4+. Not too shabby. 

I think I’ll try the next time I play TK:

Tomb King on Exalted Chariot (460)
Royal Warsphinx (440)
Tomb Herald (100)
6 x Skeleton Chariots (280)
6 x Skeleton Chariots (280)
10 x Skeletal Legionnaires (80)
20 x Tomb Guard (320)

Even without the horde discount, maxed units of skeletal legionairs are still a good and strong battleline option.  Their shields are still better than regular skittles as well, imo.  I like 40 skittles better than 20 tomb guard for the same points.

Maybe something like:

Exalted chariot
tomb king
liche priest
tomb herald
2x3 chariots
40 skittles
6 necroknights
3 stalkers

Honestly, they're in a similar boat to grave guard.  Not a terrible unit in theory, but far too fragile compared to skeletons, and not even much killier after you factor in the skittle's extra attacks.  I'm honestly starting to think skeletons will need to lose their second bonus horde attack before either type of guard will be worth fielding.

This issue applies to all of the single-wound "elite" units in the game, such as Tomb Guard, Grave Guard, Stormvermin, Black Guard, Saurus Guard, (etc).

They are generally two attacks at 3+/3+ and -1 rend (usually rerolling a 1 somewhere too), but are too fragile and overcosted at 160-180 points for ten wounds.

If i was taking an 8 wound, 460 point General, I would have two mounted "suicide" heralds for up to ten extra wounds.

Plus, they can bring back additional Chariots and Necropolis Knights while they are still alive, so there is value there beyond a 200-point Settra tax.

Does anyone use Bone Giants? They seem to have really high damage potential, but low wounds for their points. I thought about an elite list with chariots, giants backed by necrotect and some bow ushabtis. Is it possible or is the strength of Tomb Kings only in their troop buffs?

Archived