Trust to Luck

Necromancer Commands

Hello everybody,

I'm relatively new to Shadespire but have played a few games so far. My first warband is the Sepulchral Guard with an objective focused deck. In my deck I play the Duel of Wits for the obvious card advantage.

Going through my other cards I stumbled over the "Trust to Luck" (#371) card which reads the following text: "Discard any number of power cards and draw up to that number of cards form your deck."

I have only played three games with the card in my deck so far but I managed to get good results with it. It let me go for a midgame mulligan if I had cards that I would have trouble using against a specific warband or opponent playstyle. Imo it is another card that might give you good card advantage over your opponent.

Now my question is if anyone else has experience in playing this card? What are your general thoughts about it?

So far I only played with 20 cards in my deck, but do you think you can expand your deck size by 2-3 cards by running Trust to Luck?

It's most certainly not bad but I don't like it too much either as it's an objectively worse mulligan.
Play Trust to Luck (lose 1 card), switch the others for other cards and effectively end up with one less as before.

For me creating a deck with 10 Ploy cards and 10 Upgrade cards I really like isn't difficult and because I like all these cards I am not so much a fan of midgame mulligans that cost me a card. Not when each End phase allows us to refill to 5 for free.

Duel of Wits is cool but even Duel of Wits isn't that much of a mandatory card for me :) 

As an ex Magic: The Gathering player, I love it. I think MTG has trained me to pay attention to deck-manipulation cards.

I use it to drop dead-in-hand upgrades and dig for ploys. It also mitigates the downside of including character specific upgrades. It is an excellent addition to all my decks!

@cainthebag That's an interesting take.  I struggle with cards like this and Battle of Wits because Ploys feel like they're at so much of a premium in every deck I build.  I tend to feel like ploys are so powerful, I hate to sacrifice any of them.  But, when you need 'em instead of a bunch of upgrades, you really need 'em.

@Red_Zeke Trust to Luck has saved me on multiple occasions and also helped to set up some combos. One thing it guarantees is that I won't have dead cards in hand when I draw it. I also imagine it would be really useful when digging for those Keys in the final power step! (I haven't played any objective-based decks yet)

I am not really sure, if Trust to Luck is that usefull. You got 2 Endphases when you can do exaclty the same thing, without wasting a card for it self. And a Mulligan at the beginning of the Match. 

I agree, it is a nice card, to dig through your Deck, but as written above you got 3 occasions to do so.

I feel the main use of Trust to Luck is to cycle Upgrades that you don't have Glory for. While you're never going to put bad Upgrades into your own deck, Ploys are generally stronger and if you don't have available Glory to equip something, tossing it and trying to get power now might be better.

Trust to Luck really comes into its own when your searching for specific card(s). For example when the 6 pieces of the Katophrane armor is released I'm planning on building a SG deck that focus entirely on getting 6 glory by the end of T2 attaching all the pieces to one model and just activating it and scoring 4 glory every time I can in T3. In this instance Trust to luck and Duel of wits will be invaluable as ill likely have to go through my whole deck pretty quickly to get all the pieces. Its a very all or nothing strat but Trust to lucj and duel of wits can help

20 hours ago, Bademeister said:

I am not really sure, if Trust to Luck is that usefull. You got 2 Endphases when you can do exaclty the same thing, without wasting a card for it self. And a Mulligan at the beginning of the Match. 

I agree, it is a nice card, to dig through your Deck, but as written above you got 3 occasions to do so.

I thought so to and left Trust to Luck out of my earlier decks. But what I've found is that
1. I seldom want to dump my cards at the start (unless they are all upgrades)

2. The other two end phase opportunities aren't enough to dig through all the cards if I want them all.

3. The fact that the decks are "highlander" (as well as how half are upgrades I may not have glory for) means that I often use Trust to Luck when I draw it. I have also used it in the first power step of the Action phase to throw out cards I don't really want that were drawn in the last end phase.

But I agree that it is possible not to see it as an essential card the way Duel of Wits probably is. (But all my decks have both!)

I think the funniest thing about Trust to Luck is that if you do not play it your actually trusting to luck ;) 
As Shadespires pool becomes bigger and bigger a lot of cards come down to playstyle preforance. Ive personally not found any reason to include Trust to Luck but at the same time also can't say it's a really bad card.

What is objectively not so great about it is that it doesn't actually mulligan your hand. It costs you Trust to Luck in order to trade cards in your hand for others, essentially ending up with a new hand -1 card that is Trust to Luck. 
In addition I really don't have dead cards in deck and discarding my opening hand is something I do if I have too much lategame Upgrades and Ploys in hand.  Round 1 is about set up, Round 2 is about combat and Round 3 is about getting the most out of those heavy income Objectives/Upgrades. 

Seems some decks would really getting more out of it than others. Shardcaller deck comes to mind right away. You want to be digging for caller and keys, but what if you draw one of those crucial upgrades with a bunch of other junk?  Don't really want to Mulligan it away, so Duel of Wits and Trust to Luck help there.

I guess it feels like these cards have a place if you have a specific plan with some real lynchpin cards.

I think it's important to remember Shadespire is not MtG.

* You only have 1 copy of each card in your deck
* You get to swap/refill cards in each end phase anyways
* You can't benefit from your discard pile in any way

For me it's with a heavy heart every single time I need to discard a card. Every card is there for a reason so it feels like a waste.
I'd much prefer to use as much of my hand as possible and then just draw in the end phase. In general a good advice imo.
The more cards you play, the more advantages you get - and the more cards you get to draw and play.

Of course some cards are too important to use on a whim ;)
...which is also why I'm not a fan of "Trust to Luck". You could be sitting with important cards.

Archived