Warriors of Chaos.. How to Arm them.

Uveron

Greetings, 

Iam looking at picking up some Chaos Warriors soon to use as a Battleline choice for my chaos army's. 

What are the schools of thought on weapon options?

• Shields are also useful; The advantage of the  Warrior is that he is tough to kill and the Shield helps alot! 
  • Standard Hand Weapons; are good. Hiting on 3+'s are nice (Not fond of Dual Hand Weapons, pently of other ways to get re-roll 1's and not worth the loss of the mortal wound protection) 
  • Halberd; I want to run over 20 warriors so halberds maximize attacks. and the hit rate is still OK. 
  • Great Blade: I just cannot rate the loss of Shields for rend. 

So my gut tells me its between Hand Weapons and Halberds. Does anyone have any views on this? 

Edit: For Purposes of this discussion, presume that this is for a unit of 30.  Roll can be vaired, I look to using them as aggressive objective holders, Troops. 

i would say decide what role you need them to fill & arm them based on your requirements. Its a little bit of an open ended question as you may only want to run units of 5 and have them as objective holders or may want to run a unit of 3 and be a front line tar pit unit etc etc

1 minute ago, Josh said:

i would say decide what role you need them to fill & arm them based on your requirements. Its a little bit of an open ended question as you may only want to run units of 5 and have them as objective holders or may want to run a unit of 3 and be a front line tar pit unit etc etc

I did say I wanted to run over 20.. But yes It is slightly open ended. Which is the point of the discussion I wanted to have. 

I always run mine with hand wpns and shields as chaos warriors hitting on 4+ feels wrong to me.

However as I usually run Khorne I have been thinking about going with the great weapons as the rend is nice and it feels more in line with the theme, eschewing defence over more damage and all that. True great wpns hit on 4+ but the killing frenzy prayer can fix that and when the banner is in range they will be very mean! :-)

I go with hand weapon and shield, use them for holding an objective or a roadblock. I do want to make some ones up with  halberds as well, can’t decide between hell strider arms or dark elf spears to use. The ones from GW look really bad I find.

Ive got two groups of 20 in my Slaves to Darkness list, one group has hand weapons and shields while the other wields great weapons. I find that the shields are only useful when fighting armies with high mortal wound outputs while the great weapons are far more killy because of rend. With Lord of War, Demonic Power, and a Bloodsecrator the warriors with great weapons can be devistating, especially if you can fly up the board with Sayl's spell and do some quick smashing! 

Units of 10 or less go with hand weapons.

Units of 15 or more the reach of halberds more often than not makes up for the -1 to hit.

Greatblades can be useful for Khorne/Nurgle marked units. With Khorne you can get bonus attacks and re-rolls to hit. With Nurgle if they're under the affect of the Harbinger's command ability they're still plenty survivable. But again with only 1" reach units of 10 or less is the best number usually.

Did some quick calculations for you:

Hand weapons deal an average of 0,317 wounds per model single wielded, 0,367 if dual wielded

Halberds deal 0,23 per model, per attack, but they are 2" range rather than 1".

Greatblades deal 0,367 on average, taking into consideration the rend characteristic with a 1.16x modifier.

This is all damage before save rolls.

Damage wise top 4:

1. Greatblades 0,367 WPM (wound per model) 1"range

2. Duel wielded hand weapons 0,367 WPM  1" range

3. Single wielded handweapons 0,317 WPM 1" range

4. Halberds 0,23 WPM 2" range

All in all, in situations of 10 models or less, I think greatblades are the best option because of the rend.

In situations of 15+ models however it is hard to get everything in range, and Halberds would be your best bet.

Thanks Guys! 

So, Thinking about it what I thinking of doing, is for my block of 30 Warriors Build: 

• 4- As a Champion  As Other Command Models (I like many banners in my large units)
  • 20- With the Halbards (from GW) 
  • 6- With converted weapons from the other parts of the line that could be used as Halbards or Greatblades (thinking the Glaves from the Chaos Knight kit) 

This should allow me to run a block of 30 with Halbards, or a Block of 10 with Greatblades... this appears to be the best way to make models that will work in many different list builds. 

Unless you play them as a mob (in 3-4 lines of models) you never really need the halberds. I play 28 warriors every game and since i spread them in one big line i never need the 2". Maybe they will get me 3 more attacks, not worth the -1 to hit.

Shields are imho always the way to go. GB can have a use in khorne armies i suppose, but probably if you need rend just go meatrippa Axes on bloodreavers.

9 minutes ago, shadowgra said:

Unless you play them as a mob (in 3-4 lines of models) you never really need the halberds. I play 28 warriors every game and since i spread them in one big line i never need the 2". Maybe they will get me 3 more attacks, not worth the -1 to hit.

Shields are imho always the way to go. GB can have a use in khorne armies i suppose, but probably if you need rend just go meatrippa Axes on bloodreavers.

What do you use them for in the line? I always felt that there was a surface area question with units and the trick was to maxmise attacks in the smallest area, a long line makes me scared that my oppenent becomes the one to apply maximum force to my line. 

you may as well go blood warriors/blightkings/Tzaangor tbh if you arent taking shields. 

unless ofc you're playing slaves to darkness 

the shields provide such strong defence for the unit with a average save and a good mortal wound save, they're very good at holding a point 

Archived