Mould Lines

EvDJ

Hey

Just a quick Q. I know this is not the most exciting topic in the world but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestings or helpful tips for dealing with mould lines? They are the one thing that always makes me hesitate when starting on any new miniature, and with the Stormcast models they either seem to have loads or almost none. I usually just use a knife but I always end up either flattening parts of the model or cutting nicks into the plastic. I know there's no simple solution but if any one has any tips, suggestions, or ideas of a good tool for the job (has anyone tried the citadel mouldline remover, is it worth the money?)

Cheers,

Ev

Citadel mouldline remover was one of the best catch for my hobby time. Honestly, I don't know about pro-painters, but I found it very, very, VERY useful. Easy to use, and the risk of damaging the model is really small.

Thumbs up so, strongly suggested to replace the knife!

Knife all the way.  I use a Swann Morton scalpal with a No10 blade in, most mold lines are scraped off, but I drag the blade backwards across the line, so the sharp edge is pointing the opposite direction to the one I drag.  I also rarely apply much pressure, it's better to go at it four or five times each at a slightly different angle, than once and create a flat section  The benefit over the moldline removal tool is that it's much finer so you can get into all of the fine details.  Very much down to personal preference though :D

I have the same tool and technique as RuneBrush and have done for nearly 3 decades.

Mould lines on hands and hair can be tricky, after lightly scraping with the scalpel I will brush with a small amount of liquid poly, be sure to wipe most the glue off the brush prior to brushing and keep brusing until mould lines have gone. I also use the liquid poly to tidy any 'fluffy' or very smooth areas after the model has been scraped. Good luck.

6 minutes ago, DamonRafael said:

I'm feeling a noob now :D:D

Lol, not so!  Providing you get a decent result the way you get there is almost irrelevant :P  I've a feeling the moldline tool should actually be fantastic for scenery where the bigger components don't lend themselves to a small knife

Back of a Knife.

Never use the sharp side of the blade as you'll always end up cutting away some of the miniature or create dents. However, I have yet to find a tool that works better than simply scraping with the blunt side of the blade.

Archived