Astral Templars painting guide?

Primoris

Hi there,

Great question! However, there is always a problem that comes up when there is lack of reference images along with such a question. The reason why is because there are many ways to paint Dark Purple or any other color for that matter. Painting anything is a rather subjective matter.

1. If we look at the image below for, the purple is very dark with bright highlights to crisp the edges. If this is something you are interested in, then I would go about it in the following way, using the citadel paint line.

6.jpg

Base: Xerox Purple with a mix of a Khorne Red (test around but I think 75P/25R would suffice) -> Wash heavily with Leviathan Purple

Highlights:

1) With a thin detail brush, take a glob of xeros purple and edge the lines of the armor seen in the image.

2) Repeat the same pattern using Screamer Pink

3) repeat the same pattern using Emperors Children

4) repeat the same pattern using Emperors Children with white or off white (75Px25W or even 50/50) depending on how bright it becomes)

This should give you a similar look to the armor in the picture. There are obviously more combinations that can be used and someone here at the forum may know the exact recipe for the armor in this image. Either way, my advice is to make sure you do not skip any of the steps of highlights as each of them enhances the one coming after to make the edges feel rich and radiant.

Make sure to post some pictures of what to choose to do! I can't wait to see.

Good Luck! :)

I started my Astral Templars last August with only this picture as a reference

I hardly use Citadel paints because of costs and ended up using an acrylic paint called wild iris on a black primer which gives a good dark purple though nowhere near the shade of the Studio ones they have on the GW webstore.  

I feel that any dark purple would suffice like the various yellows I have seen imperial fists painted in the past.  I would encourage you to follow lysanadestope's guide as it is a pretty good approximation without a painting guide given.  I will say it's a hard scheme to get just right.  My mistakes make me want to just give up on the astral Templars and make my own stormhost though I wouldn't know where to begin with that.  

I've attached a few pictures in good light of finished and just the purple on some liberators to give you a reference of what I do.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

31 minutes ago, Gorthor21 said:

I started my Astral Templars last August with only this picture as a reference

I hardly use Citadel paints because of costs and ended up using an acrylic paint called wild iris on a black primer which gives a good dark purple though nowhere near the shade of the Studio ones they have on the GW webstore.  

I feel that any dark purple would suffice like the various yellows I have seen imperial fists painted in the past.  I would encourage you to follow lysanadestope's guide as it is a pretty good approximation without a painting guide given.  I will say it's a hard scheme to get just right.  My mistakes make me want to just give up on the astral Templars and make my own stormhost though I wouldn't know where to begin with that.  

I've attached a few pictures in good light of finished and just the purple on some liberators to give you a reference of what I do.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I wouldn't give up quite yet if I were you. You can still go back and work on the colours quite a bit. The technique I would try, again, if I were you, is a series of thin washes/glazes. Get your hands on some sort of medium and ideally a thinner. Take the darkest colour or wash you've used on the armour and thin it down with the medium and thinner. I can't tell from the pictures if you've washed the armour with anything, but use whatever darkest. Then in a series of layers, keep applying the thinned mix closer and closer to your edge highlights. Duncan describes it in detail when painting Nagash's robes (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liKyefOTvlQ) You want only the extreme edges to remain the original highlight colour. If that seems daunting, then do the reverse; wash everything, then with a clean, moist brush, remove the wash from the edges, moving farther and farther in with each layer. I know you didn't ask for any advice, but it's a shame to read that someone's given up.

Now, if I was to do it from a blank slate, I would try to approximate a technique called under-shading and glazing. I love this technique and have used it almost exclusively when painting this year. Prime black, being careful not to leave any grey showing. That's very important for this to work, so I usually go over with a brush on primer after spraying. Then drybrush almost the entire model in a mid-range grey. Be relatively light, and keep the brush at a 90 degree angle from the model so that you avoid the recesses that would't get any light. Now dry brush the top and focal points of the model with white, in other words hitting the spots that would get the most light and where you want the most detail. With the presswork done, choose a nice dark purple and thin it down. All the way down. You're going for a thin glaze, so that you can see the ridges of your skin through it when you paint some on your thumb. Then just go to town glazing all the armour plates. The glaze will show the underlying colours through it, dark in the lowest recesses, lighter where you hit it with the grey drub rush, and lightest on the most raised parts, giving you a nice variation in colour. Keep applying layers of glaze until you are happy with the colour. The worst you can do, as long as you've thinned your paint enough, is to take a long time giving it a basecoat. My two cents.

@Grimnaud

i appreciate all the advice.  Those are far more complex techniques than I have ever tried.  I am just now starting to use washes on flesh.  I like the way my Stormcasts look and I intend on working in them more but I love the cartoonish look that they have now.  

Im not the greatest painter but it kinda sucks whenever I post pictures of them and people automatically go to how they can be improved. The only reason I chimed in on this thread was to show Promoris how I painted my own Astral Templars and to say that not all armies need to look the way that they are represented by GW.  Again I appreciate the advice and I am not that great a painter even after 13 years but I just can't afford the finer paints, brushes, and have little extra time to get my miniatures to Golden Daemon worthy status.  I don't mean to sound defensive or ungrateful it is just I am used to being critiqued on my painting so much it feels as though I am not doing it right.

3 hours ago, Gorthor21 said:

@Grimnaud

i appreciate all the advice.  Those are far more complex techniques than I have ever tried.  I am just now starting to use washes on flesh.  I like the way my Stormcasts look and I intend on working in them more but I love the cartoonish look that they have now.  

Im not the greatest painter but it kinda sucks whenever I post pictures of them and people automatically go to how they can be improved. The only reason I chimed in on this thread was to show Promoris how I painted my own Astral Templars and to say that not all armies need to look the way that they are represented by GW.  Again I appreciate the advice and I am not that great a painter even after 13 years but I just can't afford the finer paints, brushes, and have little extra time to get my miniatures to Golden Daemon worthy status.  I don't mean to sound defensive or ungrateful it is just I am used to being critiqued on my painting so much it feels as though I am not doing it right.

I'm sorry if it came out that way. It wasn't my intention to critique, explicitly or implicitly. There are so many different styles and ways of painting, and no one place to learn of them all, so I'm always eager to share the techniques that have worked for me, as it was really just happenstance that I heard of it in the first place. All that really matters is getting a result that you're happy with. :)

5 hours ago, Grimnaud said:

I'm sorry if it came out that way. It wasn't my intention to critique, explicitly or implicitly. There are so many different styles and ways of painting, and no one place to learn of them all, so I'm always eager to share the techniques that have worked for me, as it was really just happenstance that I heard of it in the first place. All that really matters is getting a result that you're happy with. :)

I really do appreciate the advice it is just beyond my skills to make my miniatures look like so good.  I know you had good intentions, I just got a little off put and I apologize for that.  

@Primoris I really hope you enjoy painting your purple giants like I did.  Black Library released the attached description of the Astral Templars talking about veterans going to battle like Ulricans without helmets and with animal pelts which I think is really inspiring and has the potential for some really unique Stormcast conversions.  

image.jpeg

This is scheme I use for my Astral Templars. 

Purple armour- Bas with P3 Sanguine Base, Wash with Druchii Violet and highlight with Screamer pink. 

Gold- Base with Retributor Armour, wash with Reikland Flashshade, haven't decided what I want to us as a highlight, or is I want to highlight it at all. 

Silver- base with Leadbelcher, wash with Nuln oil, highlight by dry brushing with Necron Compound. 

Parchment- base with Zandri Dust, wash with Seraphim Sepia and highlight with Screaming Skull. 

White- base with Celestra Grey, wash with Nuln oil, highlight with Ulthuan Grey

Blue for the stuff by their croch- Base with Kantor Blue, wash with Nuln oil and highlight with Teclis Blue. 

I'll post a picture when I get an opportunity. 

• 5 months later...
On 6/21/2016 at 10:36 PM, Astral Templar 716 said:

This is scheme I use for my Astral Templars. 

Purple armour- Bas with P3 Sanguine Base, Wash with Druchii Violet and highlight with Screamer pink. 

Gold- Base with Retributor Armour, wash with Reikland Flashshade, haven't decided what I want to us as a highlight, or is I want to highlight it at all. 

Silver- base with Leadbelcher, wash with Nuln oil, highlight by dry brushing with Necron Compound. 

Parchment- base with Zandri Dust, wash with Seraphim Sepia and highlight with Screaming Skull. 

White- base with Celestra Grey, wash with Nuln oil, highlight with Ulthuan Grey

Blue for the stuff by their croch- Base with Kantor Blue, wash with Nuln oil and highlight with Teclis Blue. 

I'll post a picture when I get an opportunity. 

I'm going to ask my Death generals to work some necromancy on this thread, since I plan on starting Astral Templars myself, soon. Did you ever get around to taking those pictures?

Archived