'Competitive' Ironjawz

Malakithe

• Replies 965
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i don't have book but I did read the section and thought it said you can put the models down as you like but had to pay for full selection choices per time (i.e. 10 ardboyz) it says something about if you don't have enough models you still pay full cost and I think its retributors used as the example. We should get "Sherlock" @Chris Tomlin on the clarification trail again :-)

1 hour ago, N_Watson said:

180 points for 10 and 360 points for 11, 12, 13 etc. You pay the full price for 20 to take between 11 and 20. 

Right but we are questioning whether you can then split them between 2 units.

2 hours ago, N_Watson said:

180 points for 10 and 360 points for 11, 12, 13 etc. You pay the full price for 20 to take between 11 and 20. 

Yeah I've had a look at the page again now :-( damn this is really restrictive as you have to have 10, 20 or 30 ardboyz yet they come in boxes of 15!

i suppose it does promote a form of balance as 10 chaos warriors equates 10 ardboyz etc...

It's good in the sense that with 2 boxes, you can field 3 unites of 10. 

There is enough for the command groups as well. 

2 hours ago, Dez said:

Right but we are questioning whether you can then split them between 2 units.

It says unit size, min 10 max 30 I think, I do not believe that you can pay for a unit of 30 and split it in two. 

You pay for the unit and that is your unit. 

Might need an FAQ? 

So I finally got my first game in with the Ironjawz, and man are they fast! We played the Clash of Battle Lines, and it was really fun. My opponent was playing Daughters of Khaine and had a 2 units of 2 Witches, a unit of 20 Witches, a Medusae, Dark Hag and a Cauldron of Blood. I took a 10 man unit of Brutes, 2 10 man units of Ardboyz, a Warchanter (Ironfist) and a Megaboss. It was an intro game for my friend, so I didn't go as hard as I could have and instead made sure we both had a fun game which was a critical success. We had started late...and he ended up canceling multiple things so we could finish our game. 

My takeaways:

Did I mention Ironjawz are fast? I had first turn charges.

The Megaboss is MEGA!!!

Remember your buffs, because when you are trying to murder a Cauldron and forget your Megaboss hits and wounds on 2's you are a stupid. Yes, I rolled a one all 2's and a 5 and forgot this.

Warchanters are awesome! Keep him out of combat and surrounded by chaff. It might be good to have a second one or a second of any hero to take advantage of the movement bonus because they are slow with no boss around.

13 hours ago, Sangfroid said:

i don't have book but I did read the section and thought it said you can put the models down as you like but had to pay for full selection choices per time (i.e. 10 ardboyz) it says something about if you don't have enough models you still pay full cost and I think its retributors used as the example. We should get "Sherlock" @Chris Tomlin on the clarification trail again :-)

Ha! This made me chuckle (which is impressive before 9.30am!)

It looks like the case has already been cracked, but I am certainly of the opinion you can't split units down unfortunately like that. Whilst its mildly annoying for Ardboyz, for things like Varanguard and Dracothian Guard (Tempestors especially), its a right pain.

As said, you can take units of 15, but you're paying for 20.

4 hours ago, Dez said:

So I finally got my first game in with the Ironjawz, and man are they fast!

Sounds cool! Presumably you were utilising the Battle Trait to get such speed (+ Ironfist)? Which command Trait did you pick and did you try out a couple of Artefacts?

Whilst overall I wouldn't say I'm currently sold on Matched Play (over say SCGT), I am very excited to get the Ironjawz out on the table this weekend.

6 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Sounds cool! Presumably you were utilising the Battle Trait to get such speed (+ Ironfist)? Which command Trait did you pick and did you try out a couple of Artefacts?

Whilst overall I wouldn't say I'm currently sold on Matched Play (over say SCGT), I am very excited to get the Ironjawz out on the table this weekend.

I did indeed take the Ironfist formation and Ravager for the +2. Some hot rolls had me in combat first turn, these guys hustle! Some of the viewers and my opponent were thinking I was being a Cheese Wizard...until I explained that Ironjawz all have a 4" move. Then they thought it was totally legit.

I took Battle Brew on Groggo da Kegsmasher..I mean, he's known for out drinking Aleguzzler Gargants so he kinda has to. Doesn't hurt that it works awesome, especially when you remember your bonus. I have to admit, I'm happy I forgot because that would have destroyed the Cauldron like silly and could have made for a bad game for my opponent, and that was something I didn't want as it was his introduction to Age of Sigmar. Dude is totally pumped, bought all the Sylvaneth stuff and is buying books like crazy. 

The Warchanter took the Talisman of Protection, which he never used but I wanted to give him a bit of protection as he was the most important model for the battalion to keep alive.

@Dez

I think I would have made the exact same Trait and Artefact choices in this particular situation. Glad to hear it all worked pretty well.

Look forward to hearing how you get on vs some stronger lists/opposition - they no doubt will smash through softer stuff, but are definitely not at all bent/cheesy. I'm hoping to really test the power of the Ironjawz this weekend...but knowing the lists some other guys are playing it could be a tough run I fear!! :S 

I have the same fears Chris. Even buffed to hit with 2h weapons, the Ardboyz don't hit that hard. Brutes were pretty darn good though, so I'm thinking full units of them will be awesome. Then I think of the points costs.

I think there is still lots of testing to do!

What do you guys think of the Ardfist? You you think it would benefit from having minimal points thrown in it (1 chanter, 3 units of 10 ardboys), or do you think 5 units of 10, or 3 units of 20, etc would be beneficial. I'd use them as a rushing front line to allow the rest of my army time to position and to restrict movement options of my opponent.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

I personally love it, and I've been thinking about how to have my cake and eat it too in regards to taking both the Ardfist and Ironfist battalions. You can take lots of Ardboyz, march them up the field (more like ZIP!) and then bring them back as you throw them into the jaws of your enemy. Then *POP* here they are, back again.

I'd probably take a minimum unit, so I could take other stuff...but there's something to be said for bubble wrapping your Warchanter. I'd suggest taking a Weirdnob too whose only job is to Mystic Shield your key components (said in plural as the emphasis may change as your game progresses).

I was the one who brought up alligancy debacle (wich seems to be resolved) so I might as well throw in another burning torch. :P

Doesnt the Ardboy formation grant you to set up a new unit of equal size? ie you are allowed to get reinforcement from the reinforcement pool simmular to summoning?

5 minutes ago, Andreas said:

I was the one who brought up alligancy debacle (wich seems to be resolved) so I might as well throw in another burning torch. :P

Doesnt the Ardboy formation grant you to set up a new unit of equal size? ie you are allowed to get reinforcement from the reinforcement pool simmular to summoning?

It's not summoning, it's recycling a unit you already paid the points for. Much like Death bringing back their depleted/killed Zombies and they don't have to pay for them again.

@poddy No you can't, each battalion stands on it's own ie Ardboyz from the Ardboy battalion would not also benefit from the Ironfist battalion.

Its a bit difference recycle a whole unit compared to some casulties. ☺

The allegiance question I hoped I was wrong and I probably was.

Here I am not that sure mainly because the formation is priced simulary to other formation that dont really give you anything, you might take them for the Magic artifact.

I saw it was allready a topic about this in the rules section. it will be interesting what people think. I guess we will not know for sure until the FAQ.

The wording say replace the unit that was destroyed so like @Dez says it's not a new unit so no new cost to pay same mechanic as return d6 models in the hero phase for skeletons it's just in one go.

however you you also have to restrict where they come on and also only if the warchanter is still alive so I don't think it's game breaking for an opponent (especially as they can kill 9 and then ignore the last one or just focus down the warchanter) 

as it can be countered relatively easily i think min size ardfists would work best particular in scenarios where there are objectives in your own territory 

I agree that it is quite easy to counter but you dont need to make it work in many games to make it worth its points. I free "summon" of 10 ardboys is quite strong for what you pay for the formation even if you cant place the unit exactly where you want it. I think the biggest reason the isn't an auto include is that ironfist is even better. ?

But I am not sure about this. For me it sounds like a NEW identical unit when I read the rules. A replacement unit must be a new unit by definition. But I could be wrong.

One more thing just to agrue that destruction players might not want this ruling. The sylvaneth formation with the exact same wording. Replace a destroyed unit with an identical unit can not be countered other than not destroying any units. It would be truly free summoning for them. Just saying.

What do you guys think about this army?

Megaboss

Warchanter

Gore-Gruntas x6

Ardfist

Weirdfist w/brutes

It comes in at 2k. I don't want to use a Maw Crusha because I want extra boots on the ground, and I really wanted to run both an Ardfist and Weirdfist for the tankability and damage, respectfully. I also wanted a scoring unit of Gore-Gruntas and had an extra 80 points, so put in another Warchanter to roll with the Brutes.

I'm not hyper competitive and much prefer to run what I think looks cool, so I'm more asking if this army has the potential to do well in objective based scenarios, less will it win GTs.

edit: I said ****** it and pulled the trigger. Models are on their way.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Archived