New player is a Khorne mortal amry viable?

BionicRope64

Hi

New player I mostly been collecting Stormcast and awhile ago I got my hands on the starter set (very cheap as well), I did some head swaps and changes to the Khorne units so I liked them. I'm tempted to do a small army of them, (well small-ish), BUT I don't want use Khorne daemons (I think they look so boring, but that my personal tastes). 

So is a mortal Khorne army actually a viable army. I doubt I am playing super competitive because I'm using some non-GW parts, and some places don't like that.

I'm happy to mix it with some Slaves of Darkness, its just I don't  want to use daemons.

Any opinions would be appreciated, thanks.

(p.s. This will be my first proper chaos army)

Hello, in short yes a khorne mortal army is viable and very engaging to play. However it won't be as competitive as other armies - mainly as its nicely balanced with loads to delve into.

It synergises really well with slaves and opens up loads of fun. The danger being it's easy to get confused and buy a bit of everything.

I would suggest having a goal to work towards and stick to it e.g. Build a gore pilgrims list, before you do start get the opinions of others here as somebuilds are better than others.

One thing I have found being a newbie too is there is a lot going on in a khorne army, lots of buffs and effects to track so I suggest start w small battles to learn abilities e.g. Path to glory, get tokens to track buffs and make a cheat sheet of what to do in each phase.

I am at work now but can post my list later on if that would help, it's a 2k mortal list.

Yes it is viable. 

It is not an overpowered top supper army that will win you games regardless of lists. (I thankfully dont think they exisit in AOS). But it is posible to build a list that should have a good chance of winning games.  

If you like playing a army that gets in close and makes both you and your opponent roll a lot of dice, and take a lot of models of the table then this army's for you. 

Yes, it can be fun to play.  As mentioned, start with the Gore Pilgrims as a base battalion.  You will need to pick up two Slaughterpriests.  I would recommend purchasing the Gorechosen boardgame, especially it you can find it at a good price.  It gives you 4 Khorne characters, one of which is a Slaughterpriest ($120 in models for $60).  If you look around, you can probably find the Slaughterpriest with Hackblade cheap, as it was free in a White Dwarf and is included in the Start Collecting.

From Slaves to Darkness, I would recommend a Chaos Warshrine.  It's a nice centerpiece and gives some great buffs to mortals.  A second Bloodsecretor wouldn't be bad either.

As mentioned above the list I am working towards is

Mighty lord of Khorne (S)

Lord in juggernaut (Sc, kit bash)

Slaughter priest (Sc)

Slaughter priest w hack blade (priest clam pack or Gc)

Blood stoker (S)

Blood secretor (S) 

10 blood warriors (Sc)

10 blood warriors (S, Fg, E)

10 blood reavers (S)

3 khorgorath (S and 2 spawn count as)

5 skull reapers (Fg)

5 wrath mongers (Fg and E kit bash)

Most of this comes from some core boxes. The letters in brackets above indicate where I got the bits from.

S = Starter set

Sc = Start collecting

Fg = Frenzied goretribe

E = Couple of easy to build warrior boxes

Gc = gore-chosen

plus some spawn to count as khorgorath

Thanks, everyone!

It will be a LONG term project, but no harm getting a few of the models seeing how I like making them. (famous last words)

Good call with the various sets.  I'm quite lucky local toy store near me dose various Warhammer stuff for quite cheap occasionally. 

Also, really good list to aim for.

Becuase I haven't got the book what is the "gore pilgrims" I assume it's the cheapest battalion (something Stormcast really don't have).

Also, I might wait on Slaves of darkness, Warriors look cool but they do need some model updates. ( Marauders in my opinion),

Gore pilgrims is a battalion in the blades of khorne book. It is a good one for mortal armies as it buffs up the blood specrator and slaughter priests. It's a fairly easy build to get too and effective. My list above uses gore pilgrims ?

There are other battalions but this is tried and trusted one. Other exist but are either not as points effective or require models outside the core boxes.

Slaves are a good addition as they can take a khorne mark. This opens up some fun synergies e.g. Marauder horse men or gore chariots both love khorne buffs. I sometimes run a gore chariot or two and plan on some marauder horsemen

18 hours ago, BionicRope64 said:

Thanks, everyone!

Becuase I haven't got the book what is the "gore pilgrims" I assume it's the cheapest battalion (something Stormcast really don't have).

Also, I might wait on Slaves of darkness, Warriors look cool but they do need some model updates. ( Marauders in my opinion),

The best and Cheepest Battalion we have available is the Bloodmarked Warband warband, 8 Mortal Units with Mark of Khorne + Mortal Khorne Hero.  

I advise a quick look at this thread. 

On 11/23/2017 at 8:16 AM, Uveron said:

The best and Cheepest Battalion we have available is the Bloodmarked Warband warband, 8 Mortal Units with Mark of Khorne + Mortal Khorne Hero. 

Also note that bloodmarked is an everchosen battalion and costs allies points to use.

Leaving you with 300 points to take varangaurd!

10 minutes ago, tolstedt said:

Also note that bloodmarked is an everchosen battalion and costs allies points to use.

Leaving you with 300 points to take varangaurd!

WIll it? 

It does so in the App, but I cannot find a rule that says it has to in the handbook. 

Yeah that part is still not clarified. The moment Ill find some more time these holidays Ill also try to update the Tactica topic. I want to make some pictures about set ups and that really thakes much more time as I initially expected. By large because this Shadespire game came around the corner and stole all my attention ;) 

As far as Ally points go though, I think you'll manage anyway. The moment you set the Khorne Allegiance for your mortals you have such a wide variance of models to choose from that it should all work out as you want to. 

I personally think the Gore Pilgrims and Bloodmarked Warband are both excellent Battalions to support a full Khorne Mortal army with. What most do find though is that there is a lack of straight up Mortal wounds in the army. Something that Bloodletters do provide to us in mixed Khorne armies. My initial plan was also to go Khorne Mortals a year ago but went for mixed in the end because 1. Bloodletters are amazing and only have become better with GH2017 and 2. I really like a centerpiece model in my army and the Bloodthirster just looks very cool.

Cheers,

7 minutes ago, Killax said:

I personally think the Gore Pilgrims and Bloodmarked Warband are both excellent Battalions to support a full Khorne Mortal army with. What most do find though is that there is a lack of straight up Mortal wounds in the army. Something that Bloodletters do provide to us in mixed Khorne armies. My initial plan was also to go Khorne Mortals a year ago but went for mixed in the end because 1. Bloodletters are amazing and only have become better with GH2017 and 2. I really like a centerpiece model in my army and the Bloodthirster just looks very cool.

Slaughter Priests do bring a good way to get wounds into the list.  But yes Bloodletters are Amazing, I know I should give in a put them in my lists . 

Other good solutions to the Mortal Wound Problem are Heros with Artifacts (Big Fan of the Chaos Lord with GoreCleaver). And then Allies... Jabbersyths, or even Gaunt Summoners

Archived