Warherd Question

Redking

My LGS deals a lot in used miniatures and keeps a large tub of bits that everyone contributes to.  Unfortunately, the don't really push AoS a whole lot (mostly 40k and WarmaHordes).  When I went in yesterday, they had started throwing all of their used AoS/Fantasy minis in the bits tub.  So, I purchased Neferata (couldn't find her head), 10 Temple Guard, and 6 Minotaurs for $32 UDS (24 pounds).  With such and incredible deal, my son thought he would try to build a Warherd.  He's still working out the details of a theme (I'm trying to convince him to go Bloodscorch Bull Tribe).  However, we are stuck where to go list-wise.

The big question is: Is the Bullgor Stampede formation still legal in matched play?  It still shows up on the app, but is not in the General's Handbook 2017.  If it's not available, how would you point it out for fun play?  It was 120 points, which now seems to be 220.

The next purchases will be 2x Bloodfeast Gorgers.  So, we are looking at roughly

2x Doombull, 3 units of Bullgors all with Great Weapons (6, 6, and 3?), 2x Ghorgons.  I'm thinking about a Great Bray-Shaman and a monster (reinforcement) as allies to flesh out the army.

Any suggestions?  i appreciate any help on the Bullgor Stampede Q.

So Warherd is a little lacking in dimension and is a unique anomaly.  I've run them a few times and quite enjoyed them.  If you really like Minotaurs and can accept the models are on par with the worst in the range,.. and you can overcome the short comings then you'll have fun.

Personally I think 3-man units are good cause you can toss 2-3 units at someone.  3 u nits of 3 IMO is probably better than one 9 or 12 man unit in most cases.  

Ghorgons can be brutal about 2/3rds the time.  well okay 1/4 they flub, 1/4 they are avg, 1/2 they are brutal and your opponent only remembers that.

For allies 300 points of Ungor Raiders and a Chaos Sorcerer Lord are good additions.  The Daemonic Power on a unit of 9-12 Bulls will help.  It would be lost in in an MSU format.

I have this army cause I've played Beastmen since the 2003 reboot and have acquired enough Minotaurs I can just run it.  It does mean I have to paint them up as I only have the old 6 I ran in 6th edition complete.

Great WEapons are the way to go.

I should add I don't play tournaments any longer.  I'm sick of them and the players that WAAC/cheat (not all the players but I seem to come across enough that it turned me off).  So my buddies and I play to the best we can without chasing the meta.

I dunno, I hope some of that made sense and if you are interested they are a small model count army that can be a lot of fun.  When you hit, you brutally hit.  But glass cannons.

Keep in mind the standard/musician abilities.  

Appreciate the insight.  I was originally going to paint them myself, but my son thought he may actually finish an army.  With only about 20 models he might.  I really like the Khorne theme and saw an awesome Doombull conversion using a Korgorath.  However, he will probably go a different route.

sadly for matched play the battalion is no longer valid. For games against each other you may just decide to give him it for free or mess with your own points if that's too strong. That is all if you need it at all. I have been playing warherds with few to no allies for about a year and a half now. I am painting them as the blood schorched bull tribe but put the crimson wash over all the skin for a red tint. The army overall is kind of gimmicky but they do their one thing really well. I just took the army to Da Boys and had a great time. The cygor proved useful for denying and killing enemy wizards which was good. I didn't place all that high since the army does objectives poorly but every game the fight was bloody and not a single game was I losing the fight. I have had a few enemies that have gotten better of me in a fight but those are limited to nighthaunt and occasionally ironjawz. My pure warherds list is 3x6 bulls, a doombull, 3 ghorgons, and a cygor. Saldy the Allie mechanic choices are not great for them. Ungors give you more objective play, jabberslythes aren't a bad choice to send at the biggest enemy, and other than that some of the other monsters can be fun. I like having the 3 units of 6 because you can normally fit that many against 1-2 enemy units and get to strike with more guys before having to worry about the enemy striking back. This way you also expand your surface area for the drummer and banner. The doombull I hold back some behind the rest keep giving the buff out. Anyway hopefully this helps some.

On 11/20/2017 at 8:14 PM, Redking said:

Appreciate the insight.  I was originally going to paint them myself, but my son thought he may actually finish an army.  With only about 20 models he might.  I really like the Khorne theme and saw an awesome Doombull conversion using a Korgorath.  However, he will probably go a different route.

There is a Khorne formation in... Godbeasts maybe?  it is really powerful but there are no points for it.  You could consider looking into it (you can buy it for like $2.50 in the app) and maybe paying 200 or 250 for it in matched play but discussing with your opponent that you are just guessing a cost for it based on other formation points.  

I'm also pro-Open Play because it gets around min/maxing a list and my friends an I can play more relaxed for a theme/narrative game.  

So Khorne minotaurs are indeed AoS-lore and background :D

23 hours ago, Kramer said:

I think he meant as part of a Grand Alliance Chaos as Warherd alliance doesn't add anything...

Unless I'm missing something, of course.

I wasn't aware they couldn't ally to get a Sorcerer.  That's stupid.  Ah well,.. 

On 11/26/2017 at 9:27 PM, Kramer said:

I think he meant as part of a Grand Alliance Chaos as Warherd alliance doesn't add anything...

Unless I'm missing something, of course.

Warherd allegiance lets him take bullgors as battleline, he loses that if he takes the sorcerer and goes Chaos GA. He can take a Great Bray Shaman as an ally instead, for what it's worth.

Archived