Unpainted Rivers and Roads Suggestions

Mr. White

3 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Hahaha love the one step at a time approach :P. Wat is the look you are going for? See through with silver through it? or more molton magma but silver coloured?

either one would work. perhaps the silver magma look would be easier though.

6 minutes ago, Mr. White said:

either one would work. perhaps the silver magma look would be easier though.

Hmm I have never tried mind you. But when I made a lake we had a plastic glue/water look a like. It was heavily impacted by the color underneath. Also as it only hardend later I would try to: 

Use water effects on a silver surface to test how it looks. And maybe even mix in some silver coloring or flakes to give it a bit more depth. 

But again i'm just spitballing here. I assume to create a more solid flowing river it should suffice to just google a magma river tutorial and change the colors. 

But both might not really work with the suggested pre painted rivers. 

Well, my gaming club is planning to do a campaign in Chamon too, and as the "offical terrain maker" I will do a Silver River soon too...

My personal take on this will be doing the river terrain in pieces with a 2mm plasticard base, do the river margins a little elevated with epoxi mass (like the cheaper gray GS like thing you buy in hardware stores to fix leakings), cover those with sand, for the river bed will use acrilic texture to give some volume & texture, and paint it silver using spay cans, with a small "tint" of blue using a very watered down wash...

I would not follow the molten metal as it will look like a lava river, not a "silver river" like the images on the book:

Ghal-Maraz-Spread_02.jpg.cbcd35309c72272d22b125e915f1bd32.jpg

Anyway, just an idea... I will follow up this closely, and when I make mine will post here my attempts...

Cheers

AJ

@Antonio Rodrigues, I look forward to seeing what Chamon terrain you turn up. I've had a difficult time finding purple based mats, but have found two. So some are out there, but options are limited.

Regarding rivers, these 'battlefield in a box' rivers look to be quite smooth, so would appear like they could be a decent 'silver stream' with a little repaint.

https://www.gf9.com/Default.aspx?tabid=348&art_id=2028

Yes, we have one set of those in the gaming club, we use them on our Bolt Action games... They are indeed nice pieces, but buying another set and importing to Brazil will cost a lot... The bridges are nice too, albeit a little on the smaller side, as they are designed for Flames of War, wich is on a 1/100 scale... So I will try to make them from scratch... ;)

As for the purple mats, a cheaper solution is looking on the internet for a seamless patters and print them in Vinil... Not that good as a proper mat, but can be an alternative... Try looking at "purple seamless texture" or "seamless rock texture" and use a purple filter in it... like this:

21952266-purple-ice-seamless-texture.jpg.43ab57c97b8db0053130b20e7d9fc8d5.jpgRock_07_UV_H_CM_1.jpg.0dc78f7a63521e09bfbe00f6a483ddd5.jpg

Hope this helps!

Cheers

AJ

I have two vinyl mats. Well, two of these that are 2x3. I wrote about it here, with some pictures: https://wyrdstonesandtacklezones.com/2017/07/06/gaming-accessory-mats-by-mars/

image.png.741f3ca45c5571f41886df1b6ee99597.png

https://matsbymars.com/products/mats-by-mars-misty-mayhem-tabletop-wargaming-play-mat

These Pro Mats from Gamematz look incredible, but are a bit pricey so haven't tried them out yet.

image.png.0da24eb96f5fe708ca54829df6a623aa.png

image.png.4eee7dcc8dc0a29626e7f70c63aa6572.png

image.png.808239bd9176d3b3d0be525f7fc1cf7f.png

http://www.gamematz.com/pro-matz-underdark-cracked-terrain-game-mat/

1 hour ago, Antonio Rodrigues said:

Wow, the first one (Underdark Cracked terrain) looks amazing! :x

Yep! That's the one I've been eyeing as well. I think there's a vinyl option, but vinyl can reflect a bit too much light. Getting that mat in their 'Pro' style will cost about 100USD shipped....  :/

I would go with a standard silver, moving from leadbelcher up to stormhost silver and some Guiiliman Blue in there for contrast.  This would be better with the Pegasus because they have waves and flows in the water.  With the Battlefield ones, you might try iron breaker with some stormhost flows and try the blue along the edges.

And there was me happy to base my Destruction army in Shyish...  Might be having a rethink now!

I think for silver rivers a little artistic license is acceptable, if you are happy that the silver is fluid through a magical method (i.e. not heated) then searching for pictures of liquid mercury give some really nice inspiration.  I think the key bit would be to avoid "froth"

1.jpg

3 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

And there was me happy to base my Destruction army in Shyish...  Might be having a rethink now!

I think for silver rivers a little artistic license is acceptable, if you are happy that the silver is fluid through a magical method (i.e. not heated) then searching for pictures of liquid mercury give some really nice inspiration.  I think the key bit would be to avoid "froth"

1.jpg

WOW! That picture is really inspiring! I will try this effect... Not sure if my painting skills are up to this, but really good...

Cheers

AJ

Archived