How to Destruction deal with Gun lines / Cannon bunkers?

Poddy

How to Destruction deal with Gun lines / Cannon bunkers? I play pretty big games with my friends usually 200+ models per side and there always seems to be cannon bunkers with multiple guns in them. Any advice on dealing with them? Thanks in advance.

Well I mean, if theyre your friends and it's being cheesey then you could talk to them about it? Though tactically I would say give them more targets than they know what to do, or use warscrolls that give you bonus to charges and moves. Or gordrakk.

Mostly straight deathmatch. We use SCGT rules and on average 200+ points per game with 4+ armies involved so pretty big battles. But usually there ends up being a bunker of death that hurts

I only play scenarios and this avoids gunlines. I'd suggest you recommend playing through them as a group. Perhaps two players a side. Lower the points so you can play different ones on the same day.

Remember that community points are balanced around the scenarios that come with them. So straight deathmatch changes the utility of many units.  

As you use the points, why not try the free SCGT scenarios?

Should be easier to get your group buy in and also lower the points a little too. 

The GW scenarios are full of flavour and as such might not be for everyone (i.e. Those that like straight deathmatch). Break the Line, Hold or Die and The Watchtower are all fun, earlier GW ones. 

There are two cool GW four player ones as well. Uneasy Alliances and the free (well, if you web search it) A Convergence of Fate. 

In general I would suggest that Destruction with war machines of their own can have a shooting war, or alternatively you can use your fast units to threaten the flanks and even one Grot Wolf Chariot should reliably take out a war machine crew, or at least cripple its effectiveness. Just in general War Machines are really fragile so any unit that shoot is likely to do serious damage once they are in range of the crew (remember that the attacking unit chooses the target so they can shoot just the crew if they have range)

As Shane suggested above part of the issue is the size of game you are playing. 400 SCGT points on a board (that is less than something like a 12" x 8") will mean there is no chance of flanking so it is pure frontal grind. War machines in this situation will dominate: they can fire into combat and the more turns they shoot the more valuable they are, so if they are having multiple turns of shooting they are likely to dominate.

Finally the points are good but orientated around 100 points deployed, this means some of the non variable choices like formations particularly will end up undercosted. Overall I think Shane's suggestions are the best approach to the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I often run 2 gorgers in my list, when they pop-up next to cannons its something they have to deal with. it keeps the cannons occupied for a turn or two while everything else runs up.

also they're not bad for scenarios, they can usually spawn near objectives too.

• 2 weeks later...

Da.. You hits 'dem wit' da' hamma'! An' eats dem. No provlem.

Perhaps some Artillery of your own? Orcs got 'em, Ogres have two (but only one worth it's salt). Or as mentioned before you get something fast in there and slaughter them in their beds.

Archived