Getting demoralized from painting

The Door Master

So I've been working on converting some model for some time, was extremely happy  with how they turned out. But when I started painting I just made so many mistakes from clogged details, muddy colours , and just all around bad painting that it almost completely ruined all the work I put into it. The only thing I could do is strip and repaint them. What should I do when completely demoralized like this and how can I stop making mistakes like this.

Painting takes practice and patience. It largely depends on what causes these mistakes really. When I first started painting I would barely let a paint dry before moving on to the next one. Which would result in muddy colours. Thinning your paints and using a palette helps with not clogging details. Multiple thin coats is better than one thick one. Take care of your brushes and be sure not to cross contaminate colours.

look at online tutorials as well they are often very helpful

Honestly the one thing I find most helpful is don't force it. If you feel frustrated or like painting is a slog then take a break. Come back refreshed.

Im not a massively experienced painter so hopefully someone more learned than I can be more insightful. Hope that helped! 

Bad news I'm afraid. Painting is a skill that takes time to learn. A long time. So you will make mistakes, and continue to make mistakes for a long time. The only solution is to learn from those mistakes and practise. It sounds boring I know and you maybe were looking for some kind of magic bullet, but there isn't one. You cannot just pick up a guitar and play like Jimi Hendrix - painting is the same thing.

Get help from local painters if you can, or watch youtube videos, or the very good GW TV stuff. 

Clogging details sounds like you are painting too thick. Use a palette. Thin down the paint. Prime your figures white rather than black, it's far, far easier to cover. To avoid ruining your converted work, practise on something else first, something less important. 

If that all sounds too much like hard work, consider getting somebody else to paint for you. 

Having a good paintstripper will take the pain out of it. But maybe buy some cheap stuff off ebay to practice on over and over until you feel ready to paint something you've put your heart and soul into? For me i've allowed myself more time for painting stuff i want to look good, so i'm not rushing. And if i make a mistake i quickly wet my brush and try and clean it off and start again

Also I don't know how much this applies to you, but don't get discouraged mid model. I've had a few models I've been painting that I've been sure weren't gonna work, but I've persevered to the end result and been quite pleased.

in fact I was working on some Gore Gruntas today and thought, these are garbage. I should just give up and start again. Instead I took a break, looked at some random painting tutorials and some other people's models for inspiration. In fact the video that @Swooper posted here really helped me relax and think, no just get back on the horse. Now those same garbage Gruntas are well on their way to looking really good.

to echo what has been said, patience, practice. Those are the keys ?

18 minutes ago, Xelotath said:

Also I don't know how much this applies to you, but don't get discouraged mid model. I've had a few models I've been painting that I've been sure weren't gonna work, but I've persevered to the end result and been quite pleased.

in fact I was working on some Gore Gruntas today and thought, these are garbage. I should just give up and start again. Instead I took a break, looked at some random painting tutorials and some other people's models for inspiration. In fact the video that @Swooper posted here really helped me relax and think, no just get back on the horse. Now those same garbage Gruntas are well on their way to looking really good.

to echo what has been said, patience, practice. Those are the keys ?

I call that slump in confidence midway through painting a model the "Oh No Phase" and it usually happens to me once or twice during painting.

I pretty much think "Ok, now I ruined it."
But yeah most of the time I have finished the models looking decent.

I have learned to just go on and follow the plan, and that's what helps me. Just finish it.

Take a break and talk to people about it. Re-focus. Then go on.

If it actually looks bad after being finished, then see it as a practice piece and strip it. You still learned something.

But it is rather likely that it will end up looking far better than you think during the Oh No Phase.

Not much to add that hasn’t been said. Practice makes perfect. When I want to try a new technique or test out a new color scheme, etc, I try it on a test/throw away model before I try it on my current project. That way, I can practice it before I put it onto the model. I also find that working at a (sometimes painstakingly) slow speed helps me as well.  I also have to watch myself to make sure I don’t hit a period of monotonous painting. Break it up with another model every now and then to get a fresh mind and eye. If I work on one model for an extended period of time, I find myself making mistakes and going “Eh, who cares. I’ve got to finish this thing” because I’ve been working on it for too long. Step back, do something else for a bit, or paint another model for a day or so and then come back.

TL;DR Practice and patience is the key. 

Archived