Mixed kit in units

Flammen

Question

Hey I have a few questions:

1- can a unit (of Vulkite berserkers or anything else) have different kinds of equipment from one model to the next?

Like, I have 10 right now that have the warpicks and shields. If I build the next 10 with twin axes, can they group together to get the defensive bonus they get in large groups?

And if they can group, how would that work in the rules? Like, if the shields provide a defense bonus (and I'm not 100 percent sure that they do), how would you decide if the enemy is targeting a model with a shield or one without one?

2- what are the defensive bonuses (if any) that the shields give Vulkite berserkers?

3 answers to this question

I think from a model esthetic point of view might not be a big deal (especially in armies where the warriors would not pay atention to the weapons they are carrying as long as thet can kill eg ogors, grots, marauders, etc....). Let's say that as a stranger if you'd meet me and play me I'd go with what the list says more than what the model represent but this is becaue I like the modellistic part of the hobby more than the actual game.

That said going by the rules you could not join together models with different equipment; all units carriyng swords have to have swords in the model. 

Some units like Black Orcs can have different weapons from model to model. Vulkite Berserkers are not one of those units.

The key is in reading the description of the units. If the description says something along the lines of "units of X are armed with..." then the whole unit must be armed with one of the options presented (special weapons of course being an exception). If instead it says "some models use X, while other models use Y..." (like the Black Orcs), then you may equip each model differently.

Archived