Armies of firestorm points

TGCMactar

It makes sence to and all in all is a great way to ensure things don't get nutty. Even from a narrative standpoint it only makes sence. The most relevant part of it all:

The Great Cities allegiance abilities are still legal for matched play and still don’t cost any points. The only change is that you won’t be able to stack the allegiance abilities from Firestorm with any others apart from the Grand Allegiance abilities. For instance, a force of Dispossessed could either choose the Dispossessed allegiance abilities from the General’s Handbook 2017 OR the Order allegiance abilities and the Hammerhal allegiance abilities. They could not take the Dispossessed and Hammerhal allegiance abilities together.

As before, Firestorm in general seems to be designed with massive (multiplayer) armies in mind aswell. So if you want to have a combined force you still get some additional benifits but internal synergy is often lost in the process. The larger the army, the less this matters. For now I think this is the ideal quick balance.

Cheers,

2 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Aw an update hadn't seen it thx for pointing it out. It's not very good it wasn't changed on the other pages though.. pretty sure I saw it like that recently.. but can't find the page anymore to back it up. Thanks anyway.

Yeeeeah, an awkward update for sure. I love GW fixing mistakes, but wish they broadcaated FAQs so nuch more...and perhaps made less mistakes. lol

1 hour ago, flamingwalnut said:

Yeeeeah, an awkward update for sure. I love GW fixing mistakes, but wish they broadcaated FAQs so nuch more...and perhaps made less mistakes. lol

This is definitely a case of they wanted it to work with any allegiances then they realised that all it was going to do was give some factions a random extra ability while those who are suffering and didn't get a firestorm alligance, say all the ogor factions, are just rendered even more unplayable. 

This works much better with the idea of combined arms the cities and forces are supposed to deploy than "oh my ironjawz get a free strategm now".

1 hour ago, TGCMactar said:

but can you use like the anvilgard box and say you are playing as the scourge privateers but use the city allegiance and order , can you still have the corsairs and the chariot as battle line?

If you take Scourge Privateers as your allegiance, you can only play a small number of allies - for example, 400 points for a  game of 2000. I think that the box has more non-Scourge allies than that.

More generally, yes, you can use one allegiance to determine your battleline units, and a different one to determine your allegiance abilities. Many armies have had do this as not all armies have allegiance rules - Daughters of Khaine for example, must use Order allegiance abilities cause they have no other options. You still have to stick to the allies rules however.

7 hours ago, TGCMactar said:

but can you use like the anvilgard box and say you are playing as the scourge privateers but use the city allegiance and order , can you still have the corsairs and the chariot as battle line?

If you want Scourge battleline you would need to limit the Stormcast and such to 20% of your army, as well as forfeit Anvilguard allegiance as you aren't generic order, but instead specific allegiance. 

For whatever reason, both the Anvilguard and Tempest Eye boxes have no concrete battleline, and as such are technically unplayable out of the box by themselves. They ARE for narrative play overall, so it is possible they weren't prioritizing Matched Play restrictions.

18 minutes ago, flamingwalnut said:

If you want Scourge battleline you would need to limit the Stormcast and such to 20% of your army, as well as forfeit Anvilguard allegiance as you aren't generic order, but instead specific allegiance. 

For whatever reason, both the Anvilguard and Tempest Eye boxes have no concrete battleline, and as such are technically unplayable out of the box by themselves. They ARE for narrative play overall, so it is possible they weren't prioritizing Matched Play restrictions.

I'm grabbing up a Tempest's Eye box, and hopefully someday the Hammerhal box too, but just because they are massive discounts on models I was planning on getting for three of my future planned army projects: Dispossessed, Free Guild, and Stormcast.  I like the idea of a mixed Order army from a personal fluff perspective, and these bundles are massively impressive on the discount that they are providing to us (about 30% off of suggester retail price).  I mean, even though I'm not interested in Gyrocoptes/bombers at all, even with that one model included Tempest's Eye is still about $50 USD off.

If anyone wants the kits in these bundles, this a great time for you.

Personally, I'm not worried so much about Matched play for my armies anyways.  Sure, I use the points as a way to roughly determine army size, but I'm far more relaxed and zen about my games and how I play.  Allegiance Abilities and artifacts are neat and add some flavor to the army and characters, but I could play without them just as easily and still enjoy the game.

1 minute ago, BunkhouseBuster said:

I'm grabbing up a Tempest's Eye box, and hopefully someday the Hammerhal box too, but just because they are massive discounts on models I was planning on getting for three of my future planned army projects: Dispossessed, Free Guild, and Stormcast.  I like the idea of a mixed Order army from a personal fluff perspective, and these bundles are massively impressive on the discount that they are providing to us (about 30% off of suggester retail price).  I mean, even though I'm not interested in Gyrocoptes/bombers at all, even with that one model included Tempest's Eye is still about $50 USD off.

If anyone wants the kits in these bundles, this a great time for you.

Personally, I'm not worried so much about Matched play for my armies anyways.  Sure, I use the points as a way to roughly determine army size, but I'm far more relaxed and zen about my games and how I play.  Allegiance Abilities and artifacts are neat and add some flavor to the army and characters, but I could play without them just as easily and still enjoy the game.

Definitely a good way to go about it! The boxes are all great, just making sure no one is confused as to what they get. As always, play what and how you like! That is the point of any good game.

Archived