Chump, or Chosen?

Arkiham

unsure what to do about these guys, they're never included in any of my lists as there is better replacement units around, and with allies now this list grows even larger, 

so, do chosen have a place? is building a army entirely around them viable outside of narrative?

I think they feel somewhat pricey at 140 and it would have been very cool if they had a discount when ran at max (20).  Like you I have not found any specific reason to include them yet. I do think they are almost there, if Slaughter-leaders went to say 12" I'd say they'd be functional enough to act as a small support unit.

Having said it all I don't really care too much about them being at where they are. They arn't plastic, still neat models but I'd rather see Warriors be recreated with their looks instead of Chosen suddenly being a massively important thing. Chaos has so many Chosen now too :P ...

I'm putting together a pack of ten to Sayl into enemy ranks.  I like the idea of a line of chaos warriors hitting from the front with a 10 man unit of chosen flying in overhead into the enemy flank to give kill bonus.  We'll see how it goes.  chosen seem like the new weaker version of the bloodletter bomb now that only slaves to darkness can be tossed by Sayl

well, hitting on 3's wounding on 3's with 3 attacks each, -1 rend, and with 6's doing M.W., mark of Korne for re-roll of a 1, throw a bloodsecrator in the mix. Place them along side a large unit of Warriors, taking advantage of the Slaughter Leader. I could see them doing damage if you pick the right units. 

They are far less efficient than Bloodletters. I would suspect that Skullreapers or Wrathmongers are better choices. 

Sayl is borderline useless now (only for dumping 30 models on an objective). You'll fail the charge rolls.

Well I think they can have their uses for Khorne but there are many other units who are indeed very much akin to them.

If we're tactically looking at their advantage that others don't have it would be their output on that 32mm base, meaning they are the ideal combat support unit and I do think that typically speaking you will see them kill stuff. However again in order to completely optimize them you'd also want to make use of Slaughter-leaders which doesn't work on any of the Blades of Khorne units. 

So to me it really boils down to army choices. I like Slaves to Darkness units for the most part and for the most part they are very akin to Blades of Khorne units. The moment you make a mix of these armies I do believe it's typically better to include Wrathmongers over Chaos Chosen but only because Wrathmongers have a specific awnser against Monster (Generals) that can become a quick issue for anything that relies on higher Armour Saves/resilience to get the job done, which is something most Slaves to Darkness units rely upon.

Moral is play them if you want to, most lists have room for support units like this. The prime reason as to why I think they are a secondary choice has nothing to do with their output (which is great) but general linear functionality. They arn't fast flankers/shock troops, they arn't durable enough to thake on masses beyond their own cost and they arn't durable enough (or gifted with abilities) that allow them to be a very specific awnser against a strong tactic (such as Wrathmongers). All of that doesn't mean they are useless but simply are a personal choice and less of a 'must have'. 

i just wonder as ive some up for sell and was unsure if i wanted to keep them, but i think this kinda settles it, they're not too useful and they only time they're likely to be useful is when slaves to darkness gets looked at which will likely mean new models for them anyway. 

2 hours ago, Nico said:

They are far less efficient than Bloodletters. I would suspect that Skullreapers or Wrathmongers are better choices. 

Sayl is borderline useless now (only for dumping 30 models on an objective). You'll fail the charge rolls.

My mistake they Mortal wound on wounds rolls rather than to hit rolls. Still they do stack up reasonably favourably in min sized units, though granted people don't really take those. 

On the Sayl front surely one may Khorne mark them, whip them with a bloodstoker for +4"  charge  with the banner surely they'll do some damage, certainly for a Slaves to Darkness army  

2 hours ago, Arkiham said:

i just wonder as ive some up for sell and was unsure if i wanted to keep them, but i think this kinda settles it, they're not too useful and they only time they're likely to be useful is when slaves to darkness gets looked at which will likely mean new models for them anyway. 

If your unsure if you want to keep them just sell them. I think they are some cool models but nothing really worth sitting on. I think Slaves to Darkness is at a decent place and so are they but unless your really looking for Rend and Mortal wounds (for in Slaanesh or even Tzeentch for example) they arn't doing much that can't be covered by other units in either Khorne's Blades of Khorne or Nurgle.

In general I think that Slaves to Darkness units are really cool for real fans of those Warriors of Chaos models, Slaanesh players and to a smaller extend Tzeentch players as their Mortal counterparts are cool but also very different to what the Slaves to Darkness line offers. Slaanesh in particular might even like them a lot due to them being capable of at least speeding them up and thus having a great use for the model squeeze. 

5 hours ago, Killax said:

n general I think that Slaves to Darkness units are really cool for real fans of those Warriors of Chaos models, Slaanesh players and to a smaller extend Tzeentch players as their Mortal counterparts are cool but also very different to what the Slaves to Darkness line offers. Slaanesh in particular might even like them a lot due to them being capable of at least speeding them up and thus having a great use for the model squeeze

I’m not there yet with my slaanesh army but I will be adding ten as an extra source of mortal wounds. Two pile ins, stuff like that might be good. Add the re-rolls of 1 to hit and to wound from the sorcerer and i hope it will offer something that can hit hard and take a punch in return. 

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

I’m not there yet with my slaanesh army but I will be adding ten as an extra source of mortal wounds. Two pile ins, stuff like that might be good. Add the re-rolls of 1 to hit and to wound from the sorcerer and i hope it will offer something that can hit hard and take a punch in return. 

Yeah I think they add something if the alternatives arnt optional. So specifically Tzeentch and Slaanesh could benifit. However both of these might find different choices more interesting.

I think they are good flanking and support units but so are Knights and Chariots and a fast slew of Slaanesh units. 

All is well if people love the models though :D

1 hour ago, Killax said:

Yeah I think they add something if the alternatives arnt optional. So specifically Tzeentch and Slaanesh could benifit. However both of these might find different choices more interesting.

I think they are good flanking and support units but so are Knights and Chariots and a fast slew of Slaanesh units. 

All is well if people love the models though :D

Haha like the fluff/idea more than the models. Might go the Sisters with swords route or something different. For me they will be second wave just like my warriors do now but with added power. And again with the three generals you can get a unit to really shine. And as I prefer the mortal heroes the abilities require the MORTAL keyword as well. 

On 10/2/2017 at 3:58 AM, Nico said:

Probably true if you don't mark them with Khorne and whip 'em with a stoker. Too much has to be just right here for them to really be effective. I'd use them in a casual game for grins, but not often. As was said before, there's better, more cost efficient options available to us.

On a side note, they WOULD provide some rend/MW punch to a plague touched warband.

Yeah I believe there are still some lists who could use the unit in their advantage. The complete list context matters. However so far there are often many reasons to not use support units that have Movement 5. Chariots, smaller Monsters and Cavalry all have the much wanted speed to ensure they arrive where they need to. Something StD Infantry units also have trouble with. If Slaughter-leaders was Chaos Mark related to their chosen Chaos Mark I think their tactical value would have been at the 'wished for' competative level.  

Archived