Horde Meta

hobgoblinclub

8 hours ago, Cambot1231 said:

If you are in Chaos and worried about that giant regiment approaching Guant summoner and his spell are the way to go.  

I'm sure though every horde player will want to keep this in mind and get some artillery or counter magic to shut the summoner down ASAP.

10 hours ago, hobgoblinclub said:

It's definitely going to become an issue if we start seeing lots of him. In our local meta he's starting popping up all over. 

I have in my army list 2 grot shamans and 2 spear chukkas. That's of course a lot of points to hunt one model, but since it usually only takes 1-2 rounds of chukka shooting to take him down, it's definitely worth it.

12 hours ago, tom_gore said:

I have in my army list 2 grot shamans and 2 spear chukkas. That's of course a lot of points to hunt one model, but since it usually only takes 1-2 rounds of chukka shooting to take him down, it's definitely worth it.

Not if he's treacherously bonded to a nearby unit of pink horrors. ?

Death:

zombie dragon. Its breath attack auto hits if theres more than 6 models in the target unit.

Arkhan the black: curse of years has the ability to wipe out entire units if you roll well enough

Order: 

Collegiate arcane:

Luminark of hysh- the hurricanum's overlooked brother comes with a nifty spell, burning gaze. Casts on a 6 and does d3 mortal wounds. Double if the target unit has 10 models, triple if it has 20+.

Darkling Coven

Sorceress on Black Dragon-noxious breath, pick a unit and roll a dice for each model within 6", for each 6 the unit suffers a mortal wound.

Daughters of Khaine

Bloodwrack Medusae -pick a visible unit within 10 inches, roll a dice for every model in that unit, does a mortal wound on a 5+. Seems really good as you roll for all models in the unit, even those models that may not be within 10 inches of the medusa.

Dispossessed:

Flame cannon- units that suffer damage from it will continue to burn for d3/d6 (if you have an engineer nearby) on a 4+ 

Eldritch council:

Drakeseer- his unique spell is also a variation on the maw (mortal wounds that keep happening on a 4+). Casting value 7, but the damage increases every time you roll to keep it burning

Fyreslayers:

Magmadroth- its roaring fyrestream will auto hit for d3/d6 (if within 5") mortal wounds against hordes.

Ironweld arsenal:

Cannon- reroll damage for units with 10+ models. Not a great bonus, but its not like cannons suck normally.

Gyrocopter- steam gun gets 1 attack per model within 6"

Steam tank- cannon gets +1 to hit for units with 10+ models

Order serpentis:

Dreadlord on black dragon- noxious breath, pick a unit and roll a dice for each model within 6", for each 6 the unit suffers a mortal wound.

Seraphon:

Stegadon- flamethrowers are good yo. 1 attack per model within 8". Bubblewrap with saurus warriors to keep lil steggy safe for the first round of combat so it can cook up some horde sammiches

Kroxigor- 1 in 3 can equip a moonstone hammer, which gives 1 attack for every model within 2"

Stormcast:

Decimators, 1 attack per model within 2". Might seem underwhelming but ive had a squad of 5 get over 30 attacks against my skeletons.

Stardrake- rolling thunderhead ability, pick and enemy unit and roll a dice for each model within 18" for each 6 rolled the unit suffers a mortal wound 

Sylvaneth:

Drycha- her swarm of squirmlings picks a unit and for each model within 10" of her you roll a dice. For each 3+ (depending on her wounded chart up to a 5+) the unit suffers a mortal wound.

Chaos:

gaunt summoner-infernal flames. casting value 8, pick a visible unit, roll a dice for every model within 18", mortal wound for each 4+

-Blades of khorne:

Skarr Bloodwrath.  Instead of making his normal attacks, you ca make one attack for each enemy model within 3"

-Clan pestilins:

Plagueclaw catapult: goes to 2d6 damage if +10 model in the unit.

Verminlord Corruptor's Plague spell: Roll a dice for each model in target unit. Mortal wound on 6+. Can then spread to another unit within 7" on a 4+. Can spread forever as long as you keep rolling 4+ on spread roll and there's another untouched unit nearby.

-Skaven Masterclan:

grey seer-  has a spell, casting value of 6. pick a unit within 26" (pretty nice that you'll be outside unbind range) and roll a dice for each model in the unit. for each 6 the unit suffers a mortal wound

Destruction:

-Ironjaws:

Weirdnob shaman- foot of gork, casting value 10. d6 mortal wounds and will keep going on a 4+

-Gutbusters:

Scraplauncher: 1/3/4/-/D3 damage, increasing to D6 against 10+, 2D6 against 20+ (It just has to get to the damage point first)

Ironblaster: 1/4/2/-2/D6 damage, re-roll failed hits if there are 10+ models

59 minutes ago, Gotrek said:

Stormcast:

Decimators, 1 attack per model within 2". Might seem underwhelming but ive had a squad of 5 get over 30 attacks against my skeletons.

To be fair, I think any Paladins are decent at culling hordes, Star Maces and the damage done by Retributors in general is quite devastating. I also added some Hurricaine Crossbows in an attempt to thin out Hordes. I don't really have the knowledge for other factions, but don't most glass hammers make a decent mess of hordes?

Also don't forget things like Jabberslythes, the ability to control a huge unit really helps slow and cripple a large mass.

Most armies are totally able to handle Hordes in one way or another. As found on page 1 all that is really needed is understanding the concept that bringing down a Horde or multiples can't be done in a single turn which is why 'unit control' by weakening it down with prayers, magic, small units or hordes of yourself usually are the best route to go about it.

Then there certainly are some more specific options. In general I still believe that most factions who happen to have a Monster General also benifit from the one weakness giant Hordes have and that is to move around the battlefield. Profided there is enough scenery on the table there will be places where a Horde can't come easily or where the numbers of the Horde cannot all contribute to melee combat. Which is another advantage Monster Generals usually have, they have a large footprint for a single model but in most cases the actual space it thakes up is still smaller as 30-40 models. Be it on 25mm or 32mm bases.

Though I think the concept of the Horde army is available to all so normally speaking no fear of it is needed. Experiment and play really shows where big Hordes are strong at (full open field combat) and where they can potentially fail (dealing with scenery). Other than that everyone knows their particular units and units who indeed auto hit, improve hit or have compelete unit effects are now a whole lot better as they indeed used to be. However from my experience even with GH2016 a lot of armies benifited from bringing a large unit. At least this was certainly the case for Chaos, Death and quite some non-Stormcast/Kharadron Order too. 

Personally love this aspect of GH2017, reminds me about the best parts of WFB. Multiple new Allegiances and Horde promotion for all make the game really fun. 

+1 for Gaunt Summoner, although remembering to kill anything that gives the horde immunity to battleshock or bravery bonuses is important. Against chaff hordes I've been thinking that an aspiring deathbringer could be fun - he has two weapons so the multiple +1A buffs khorne gets effectively give him two extra attacks. Many of these like the disciple of Khorne command trait can also be applied before mark of the destroyer, meaning that the bonus attacks also get doubled. You can comfortably get this guy to 20+ attacks overall. Best of all, his bane of cowards ability means he gets to pile in and attack again in the battleshock phase if any of the enemy flee within 8" flee.

Archived