A Swifthawk Agents Flog (Forum Blog)

TheNotebookGM

Hey all- back at it with the first of the Swifthawk Agents Battalions! Like I said in the above post, something I am focusing on here is bringing in forces from other Order armies to really highlight the Swifthawk Agents' role as wokring with and between the allied armies of Order. For the first battalion, in honor of @Double Misfire for being my inspiration for this thread, I am going to start with Ironweld Arsenal. Despite their speciesist ally assignments in GHB2017 (yeah, I went there) I think that the Swifthawks and the Ironweld are natural bosom buddies. In a way they are two sides of the same coin- both are factions that, in the context of the Grand Alliance, serve support roles to the larger pillar factions that fill out the meat of the forces of Order.

Ironhawk Brigade- 160

1 Cogsmith or Gunmaster

1 Skywarden or High Warden

1 Cannon or Helstorm Rocket Battery

1 Organ Gun or Helblaster Volleygun

2 Units of Spire Guard

1 Unit of Reavers

Swifthawk Shield Line: if the Artillery Crew of any IRONWELD ARESENAL unit is within 4" of a unit of Spire Guard from this battalion they can add 1 to save rolls made versus ranged attacks. 

Paint The Target: A Cannon or Helstorm Rocket Battery in this battalion has a may add 1 to all to hit rolls if the target unit is within 3" of a unit of Reavers from this battalion.

-----------------------------

My next foray into Battalioncrafting is into the world of Fyreslayers- again, this seems like another great thematic match given the Fyreslayers role as mercenaries. I know that the Runesmiter thing is all the rage right now... and I'm going to jump right on that bandwagon because it fits right in to the Swifthawks' penchant for moving through enemy territory. I'm seeing the Swifthawks, with promises of a good scrap and payment in eldritch artefacts found on their journeys, enlist the Fyreslayers to help them with some sort of clandestine scheme. The Shadow Warriors are not the best unit in the Swifthawks line, but I think they fit the fluff well and I really wanted a way to make them feel fun to play. I'd also like to think that the Fyreslayers would get a kick out of us Swifthawks- crazy aelves just barreling through enemy territory, smashing into the forces of chaos and death, regrouping, and doing it again.

Fyrehawk Brigade 

2 Runesmiter

1 Unit of Hearthguard Beserkers

2 Units of Shadow Warriors

2 Units of Reavers

Fyreslayer Shortcut: Runesmiters in this battalion may add the following to their tunneling ability (the name eludes me) "If taken as a part of the Fyrehawk Brigade warscroll battalion this Runesmiter may also take a friendly unit of Shadow Warriors as a part of this move."

Commando Wing: Shadow Warriors from this battalion get +1 to attack if wholly within enemy territory. 

----------------------------------------------------

Lastly I wanted to do an all Swifthawk battalion because hey, this is Swifthawk Agents thread, dammit. This one is VERY straightforward and I am seeing it as an army of Swifthawks coming in HOT to deliver an important missive, their first turn move essentially is their momentum from the moments before we open camera on the battle. 

Steelwing Brigade (120)

2 Skywardens

3 Units of Skycutters

3 Units of Reavers

1 Unit of Chariots

Steelwing Assault: At the beginning of your first movement phase roll 3d6, rerolling any results of 1 and discarding the lowest of the three. All units  in this battalion may use this result when determining the distance they can run in the first turn. 

Scattering Retreat: Units in this battalion may retreat through enemy infantry units provided that they have enough movement for all models to end their retreat at least 3" from an other enemy unit. 

-----------------------------

That's all for tonight- as always let me know what you think. I was seriously spitballing when it came to the points values for these but the points assigned to them seem pretty standard for battalions. I'm not entirely sure how this mixed battalion thing works in the new GHB in the light of ally rules so definitely let me know if these things are furiously illegal. I'm definitely not AGAINST just allying in aelves I just think that this design space gives the Swifthawks a unique chance to play to their lore and get some cool synergies out of it. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, TheNotebookGM said:

Ironhawk Brigade- 160

1 Cogsmith or Gunmaster

1 Skywarden or High Warden

1 Cannon or Helstorm Rocket Battery

1 Organ Gun or Helblaster Volleygun

2 Units of Spire Guard

1 Unit of Reavers

Swifthawk Shield Line: if the Artillery Crew of any IRONWELD ARESENAL unit is within 4" of a unit of Spire Guard from this battalion they can add 1 to save rolls made versus ranged attacks. 

Paint The Target: A Cannon or Helstorm Rocket Battery in this battalion has a may add 1 to all to hit rolls if the target unit is within 3" of a unit of Reavers from this battalion.

First of all, I like these mixed Battalions. They are good in showing that this isn't the old world anymore and the differente factions often work together. 
I like the Shield Line ability of the Ironhawk Brigade. Thats one of the big issues the Arsenal has compared to artillery units of other factions. A good but not overpowered ability. I only would change the "Pant the Target" ability. +1 to-hit is thematic but 3" is too close for the Reavers. They are a quick harasser/scout unit, they shouldn't be forced into combat. Maybe make it 6", or change it to: "Add 1 to all to-hit rolls against enemy units that suffered a unsaved wound trough a missile attack made by this battalions Reaver unit."

3 hours ago, TheNotebookGM said:

Lastly I wanted to do an all Swifthawk battalion because hey, this is Swifthawk Agents thread, dammit. This one is VERY straightforward and I am seeing it as an army of Swifthawks coming in HOT to deliver an important missive, their first turn move essentially is their momentum from the moments before we open camera on the battle. 

Steelwing Brigade (120)

2 Skywardens

3 Units of Skycutters

3 Units of Reavers

1 Unit of Chariots

Steelwing Assault: At the beginning of your first movement phase roll 3d6, rerolling any results of 1 and discarding the lowest of the three. All units  in this battalion may use this result when determining the distance they can run in the first turn. 

Scattering Retreat: Units in this battalion may retreat through enemy infantry units provided that they have enough movement for all models to end their retreat at least 3" from an other enemy unit. 

I really like this battalion, the rules fit the background. The picture of this host racing across the mortal realms, barely stopping to engage the enemy is how the Swifthawk Agents should be. 

My only critic is that this army is a little too big. All these units in minimum configuration costs 1360 points. And 5 Ships is a big investment for a 120 points battalion. I feel like reducing it to a minimum of 3 ships (1 Warden, 2 Cutters), that would result in a 1080 points force. More in line with other "small" battalions. I think only big battalions like the SCE Stormhosts should require 1500+ points as minimum. 

Another point is the "Steelwing Assault". The concept is, as I said before, great. But I would streamline it a bit. Adding another D6, re-rolling ones and then dropping a D6 again is a little too much for Age of Sigmar. Either drop the re-rolling ones or the discarding of the lowest. Or simply both, making it 4D6 makes it more straight forward and adding more die makes it less swingy.

In regards to the third battalion, the Firehawk Brigade, I can't say much because I haven't played against Fyreslayers yet. But I think it looks alright. 

Are there any other plastic high aelf models they can add to the swifthawks? (like they did BCR)  

I'm new to GW starting with AOS so I don't know.

This thread is great, just when I was thinking of selling my swifthawks I'm dragged back in :D

10 minutes ago, chord said:

Are there any other plastic high aelf models they can add to the swifthawks? (like they did BCR)  

I'm new to GW starting with AOS so I don't know.

This thread is great, just when I was thinking of selling my swifthawks I'm dragged back in :D

I just brought myself a small 500 points force of Swifthawk Agents just because of this thread, so I know that feeling :D

In regards to new kits to add, sadly there aren't many existing kits that could fit into the faction aesthetic. Only the Highborn Prince on Horse as a Warden HERO and maybe the Shadow Blades Dark Riders. 

But a little kit-bashing would allow for a few new units. combining the Highborn Prince set and one chariot could make a HERO and a banner bearer, that would strengthen the chariot theme.  I just posted my take on rules for the Warden on Chariot on the last page and I have a few Ideas for a banner bearer. Maybe I manage to post them later today.

EDIT: Also, I thought about the Hawk Rider thing again. Putting a shadow warrior equipped with a elemental bow from the Sisters of the watch on the Skycutter Eagle would make for a great Shadow Warrior HERO. But thats too much of an conversion to be put into a battle tome by GW.

1 hour ago, TheNotebookGM said:

I don't have any experience with conversion, definitely post pictures if you do any! @Gecktron and @chord

I already plan on doing a few conversion.
On my list are:

• A Skyruler Catamaran (as a centerpiece model, using two Skycutters for one model is expensive!)
  • A Hero on Eagle (using the leftover eagle from the Skyruler)
  • And a Warden on Chariot

The warden would be the easiest conversion, as its not much more than a kit-bash. So I would tackle that one soon. 
The Skyruler will be the most complicated one. I have to plan it trough because I really don't want to let two skycutters go to waste. The eagle will be a useful byproduct. I can simply build the eagle without the rope that would connect him to a skycutter and put a Skywarden or a Shadow Warrior on its back.

1 hour ago, chord said:

I don't understand why the skywarden on foot didn't make it into swifthawks (he is part of the skycutter box) and although on foot, he could be the leader of the swifthawk outposts that the spire guard watches over.  

I just looked up the Skywarden on foot on my AoS App. I can't see why they put him into the compendium high elven section. He's still a new model. Maybe they felt he is too static to be part of the Swifthawk Agents? Maybe he can be changed into a simple Spire Guard upgrade? I mean, changing his keyword based abilities to only work on Spire Guard units, turning the Command ability into a normal ability and let him loose the HERO keyword so that he can't command a force or get any relicts? 

I will think about that. Thank you chord for pointing this out for me!

I spent all day at work thinking about new units for Swifthawk and this is what I've gotten.

-A hero (Swifthawk Captain) on horseback and/or chariot 

-Hero (Bannerwarden) on an Giant Eagle

-Beefier Skycutter  (as discussed above)

-Shadow Warriors to be better skirmish units or better ranged units 

-Giant Eagles or Eagle Calvary (Swiftborne Knights) 

Adding these 4 warscrolls + improving the Shadow Warriors would make the Swifthawk Agents a rounded out faction (if one includes allegiance abilities and all that jazz we've talked about). Still leaves us without a mage but I like that thematically. 

-A hero (Swifthawk Captain) on horseback and/or chariot 

First of all, your list looks good. This would make the Swifthawks a more complete army, like the Kharadron Overlords for example.

I would prefer the Chariot version over the horse version. The Swifthawks have no traditional cavalry that could support a melee focused hero on horse. The chariot variant would support the Swifthawks unique theme. Also, its easier to convert one from the Chariot kit.

-Hero (Bannerwarden) on an Giant Eagle

-Beefier Skycutter  (as discussed above)

[…]

-Giant Eagles or Eagle Calvary (Swiftborne Knights) 

Support this 100%

Maybe the Bannerwarden can get a ability connected to the Skybanner special rule? 

-Shadow Warriors to be better skirmish units or better ranged units 

I don't think they need a warscroll update. Just making them less expensive would do the trick. 
A point reduction to around 150 points but without the choice to field massiv regiments is my proposal.

Great stuff @TheNotebookGM, @Gecktron and @chord.

Obviously the Ironhawk brigade is my favourite. ;) Could I possibly suggest swapping the partial either/or options out on the artillery pieces for 2 of any Ironweld artillery option? Being able to choose one of two pairs seems half hearted, and cannons always look nicest in pairs. ;) 

A combined Skycutter/Gyrocopter battalion similar to the combined Skywardens and Prosecutors in the Aetherstrike Force in the Kharadron book would be cool. They could even have a neat special rule representing old fashioned dwarf/elf duardin/aelf rivalry, similar to how the Ironjaw and Beastclaw units in Braggoth's Beast's Hammer play off each other.

Obviously my brain is capable of thinking about things that aren't artillery but chooses not to: if you're adding new Swifthawk units, had you considered bringing back High Elf Repeater bolt Throwers? Obviously they suit the Swifthawk aesthetic down to the ground, and while they might not exactly be great at delivering messages (short of tying them to bolts and hoping for the best. which could be cool..), they help flesh out the idea of Spireguard holding key fortifications and message relays for the Swifthawks:

wDMoTas.jpg

2 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Obviously my brain is capable of thinking about things that aren't artillery but chooses not to: if you're adding new Swifthawk units, had you considered bringing back High Elf Repeater bolt Throwers? Obviously they suit the Swifthawk aesthetic down to the ground, and while they might not exactly be great at delivering messages (short of tying them to bolts and hoping for the best. which could be cool..), they help flesh out the idea of Spireguard holding key fortifications and message relays for the Swifthawks:

Love the idea, especially tying messages to the bolts!!  

But yeah I think now that the spireguard have been added to swifthawks I see no reason the bolt thrower and spireguard can't be used to protect outposts. 

19 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Great stuff @TheNotebookGM, @Gecktron and @chord.

[…]

First of all, thank you! I really enjoyed your Ironweld Arsenal thread. A canon and a gun master were my first two Age of Sigmar purchases, so the arsenal has a special place in my heart :D

In regards to the Bolt thrower. Im torn, on one hand, the concept of a bolt thrower fits the swifthawk agents, since nearly all SHA units are equipped with bow and arrow. On the other Hand I don't like how static they are. I don't want to dilute the armies theme of a quick force, on sky boats, horses and chariots. The Spire Guard is a issue too, but they get a pass because of the strong naval theme of the models. The bolt thrower lacks this. In addition, we already have smaller bolt throwers mounted on the Skycutter. 

My solution was to put a big bolt thrower on the "Skyruler catamaran" but thats a big conversion just to field a simple bolt thrower. 

As said before, im torn on this issue and don't really know what to made of it. 

Also: my package arrived today and I spent the last few hours glueing my fresh Swifthawk force to its bases. :D

Since @TheNotebookGM mentioned a Eagle Hero earlier today. I thought about this concept, and about conversion options. 

I came up with this:

59b84683f2540_2017_09.12ShadowRulerAoS.png.b63ef7e1d0165f1ca7468413306cf83e.png

(Please excuse the messy drawing and the lack of colors, its just a rough sketch I made. I will clean it up and color it later.)

This is a Shade Lord on a Azyrian Hawk. 
The Shade Lords are mysterious leaders of the shadow warriors. Each gang of Shadow Warriors is a group of veteran infiltrators, saboteurs and assassins. All of them experts in hiding in the wilderness of the realms, often waiting for months on ends. Only to strike as quick as lighting when the time is right. 
But all these groups still need guidance, someone to coordinate the attacks of the different gangs, so that the enemies of Sigmar can be destroyed in the most effective way. 
These hidden masters of the Shadow Warriors are the Shade Lords. 
To become a Shade Lord, one has to survive the trials of a Shade Lord. These trials are hard and but those who succeed become something more than just a mortal.

Not much is know of the individual trials but one of them brings them to the highest mountain tops of Azyr, where they have to form a bond with one of the Azyrian Hawks. One of the few creatures who can fly with the Star Drakes.

A Shade Lord also wields a Celestial Bow. A weapon forged from a still burning piece of a star that crashed into the mortal realms.

As for Stats:

Move: 16" Wounds: 7 Bravery: 8 Save: 4+

Missle Weapons:  
Celestial Bow
18" 3/3+/3+/-1/1

Melee Weapons:
Quick Blade                                 Beak and Talons
1" 3/3+/3+/-1/1                      2" 3/4+/3+/-/1

Special Rules:

Swift Strike: At the begin of a combat phase, you may improve either the damage or the rend characteristic of the Shade Lords quick blade by one

Command Ability: (nothing yet…)

Thats my take on a eagle/hawk hero. Its a first draft, so obviously, it still needs a lot of work.

Also: I created another house for the army Im just starting. The House of the Golden Chariot, home on the plains of Ghur, where their chariot roam unopposed, unafraid of any challenger.

59b84de5d097d_2017_09.12SunwheelAoS.png.1e3c591c2416b47ae45681a11954678a.png

Firstly, I just want to say I find this thread overwhelmingly inspiring, and while I have devoted my own time to Order Draconis I really love what you guys are doing here. Shadow Warriors have always had a close place to my heart :)

Regarding Bolt Throwers, rather than adding them directly to the SHA list of Warscrolls, why not just have a Battalion that allows you to add a Seawarden on Foot, 2-3 Units of Spire Guard and 0-2 Bolt Throwers?..

This would then allow you to theme a Defence force lore-wise, and take a page out of the Spire of Dawn Battalion by giving all models in the Battalion the SHA keyword for Allegiance purposes?

One thing to note, is that I'm personally keen on only using GW models that GW still sells. All the Highborn units have now gone from sale, including the Bolt Throwers, and only live as rules in the High Elves Compendium. For me this speaks volumes about the Aelves as a range and their future.

Good Luck!

Archived