Let's Chat: Nighthaunt

Rid

1 hour ago, bsharitt said:

At least even with running Nighthaunt allegiance, the warscrolls themselves got buffed with everyone getting a variant of the spirit host's frightful touch. The hexwraith getting an exact copy(on their scythes), the tomb banshee getting one with D3 mortal wounds, and the cairn wraith and the black coach(via it's cairne wrait) getting one that does two moral wounds. It still relies on a wound of a six and nobody puts out the number of attacks as the spirit hosts who almost always good for a couple mortal wounds, but could help with some of the damage output that I've found to be the biggest problem with them.

Where are these updated scrolls found?

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So im not the only one thinking the Nighthaunt rules in GHB might be replaced by the LoN rules.

Could we perhaps petition GW, as of late GW is very receptive to it's customers. It would a super easy battletome to make.

even as a nighthaunt player that i think it would be over kill to give them a book for like 6 units lol

feels like kelrick was post the book being finalised which is a shame, servants of kelrick would have been sick and fix everything

not being able to use a mourngul in LON makes me sad 

Could see them getting expanded like the sylvaneth and daughters tho.

through in a bigger hero, a unit on 32mm bases maybe with some ranged attacks and a centrepiece model.

A few battalions and we are set!

haha i dont see any of it happening, mainly due to there being no lore to it

happy to be wrong, maybe the knight of shrouds might open up some doors, interesting that they were not really included in the book like FEC, might be onto something Rid :P

im finding it really hard to stick with NH atm, new LON is a real improvement & arkhan as a general is really nice

There is a very nightahauntesque model in this week's rumour mill pic and there has been scattered rumours that could fit to a nighthaunt release along with the Knight of Shrouds and we know that new death models are coming. The lore isn't a problem as that's what the book is for. I guess the Nighthaunt have similar amount of lore on them as the Daughters of Khaine currently.

I'm still curious about this new Black Coach rumor - current one is... well... not the prettiest looking model GW ever made, let me put it like this lol

While this may very well be just a rumor (most likely is, but on the other hand plastic GUO and other models kinda confirm than GW is able to remake some of their utterly terrible models), I still think that with the exclusion of NH from LoN we may very well expect something new - they reprinted Soulblight, which imo means absolutely no love for them, while NH was skipped - but GW must have realised that they, if I'm not mistaken, are one of the most competitive factions from Death and hopefully are looking into expanding them. 

New rumor engine is Death 99% - either Deathrattle or Nighthaunt - I'd lean towards NH side because of the similarity with Keldrek

Also, what do you think about the new Hexwraiths? Same price, but their "run over" ability has been buffed to dish MWs on 5+ and they deal MWs on 6+ to hit - which is a really nice buff for the exactly same price. I think we can say that Hexwraiths are pretty decent now! 

Aye Hexwraiths look pretty decent now, a viable alternative to spirit hosts rather than just objective grabbers.

The 5+ fly over is great, and with a slightly higher than average roll you could take out a 4/5 wound hero on a pass now. Combined with the 6+ in melee they can finish off what they didn’t flyby.

Feeling really torn between Nighthaunt and Legion of Night with 3 cheap battle line units (probably Dire Wolves).

The reason I wasn’t looking at Sacrament was because I want the Knight of Shrouds as my general.

Pros:

units can start off the board (similar to current abilities)

not reliant on cairn wraiths and tomb banshees being alive to do it.

no rolling to do it.

can benefit from grave sites

can take heroes who can heal spirit hosts and hex wraiths

those heroes still get deathless minions

if those heroes are wizards they get extra spells

as you don’t need to roll, you don’t need Ruler of Spirit Hosts command trait so you can take something else.

Cons:

need non Nighthaunt battle line

mourngul can only be an ally (can always hope this changes) and therefore can’t start off the board

mourngul therefore doesn’t get deathless minions

no harvest moon or fell wind artefacts.

units starting off the board can only come in off a board edge or near a gravesite not anywhere.

units starting off the board must declare how they’re arriving (grave site or board edge) during deployment, limiting options and allowing counters.

Cant take Arkhan (well you can but you’d need Mannfred too and therefore can’t use Knight of Shrouds as your General)

Using many of the benefits means less actual night haunt units.

yeah it seems like you just need to suck it up and not get any of the benefits

or 

not really play nighthaunt anymore lol

I personally like sacrament because i have all those models painted haha, but double pile in spirit hosts that heal is super tasty (im running 2 units of 6)

Hi all! First post in the community :)

Was an Empire player back in 6th and 7th and then had a long hiatus when life happened. Finally returned to the hobby last year and decided to be a turncoat and serve Nagash instead (also, unintentional destruction of the grand Altdorf host by 'families' may have contributed to this decision). I have lurked a bit recently and perusing the board and trying to understand the game as it is now.

Long story short, started nighthaunt, but fairly slow on the model building/painting department just because of life. Have 600 points worth of nighthaunt with more than half painted at this point and really excited about all the coming changes to this underdog faction. Two quick questions for the vets:

1. Have GH, but 2016 (didn't realize there was a new edition when I bought). With all the exciting stuff released this week, is it better to get

a) GH 2017?b) Malign Portents Book?

c) Legions of Nagash?

if I specifically am only interested in playing nighthaunts and non of the other bullcrap allegiances (because I really, really hate Nagash and Mannfred in the lore,). Which one would be the best to serve my needs? I understand I probably need them all at some point (maybe?) but I have limited resources at the moment.

The second question never posted... :P 

2. Originally really wanted mourngul (again, pre GH2017 era), aside from it being good it also would be perfect bumping me to 1000 pts for playing. But with the supposed nerfs, am I better off just getting more spirits/new Keldrek to round out the 1000? Want a decently competitive army because of friends tend to be the Spike type players, but constraint by the amount of time I have to build/paint models so need to make my purchases count. The other thought is that there's a possible death expansion coming later in the year so I might be better off waiting...

Thanks in advance and looking forward to joining the community!

Welcome!

if it’s just nighthaunt your interested in them ghb2017 is what you need, all the scrolls are free to download off the gw site.

The Mourngul took a knock but he’s still solid and will make a savage addition at 1000pts! He’s more tanky than before but not quite as good offense, I run two in my 2000pts list and they haven’t let me down

Anyone else feel like the Knight of Shrouds should have Frightful Touch? honestly think the Mourngul should have it too rather than its current crit - 6 ability. Would tie NH together to have Ethereal, Fly, and Frightful Touch across the board... especially with the Knight clocking in at double the cost of a Cairn Wraith

Archived