Let's Chat: Nighthaunt

Rid

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Trayanee said:

So whats the best way to start Nighthaunt? My friend seems to be interested in them. Is the start collecting worth it or is multiple tormented spirit boxes a way to go? It seems its a pretty good deal.

I too am about to start a Nighthaunt project, and I plan to base it around several Tormented Spirits boxes. On paper it seems to be the most efficient method, with one each of the core units of the army and a hero that seems useful in multiples, whilst retailing for ~2/3 of the Start Collecting box which contains a model that isn't even part of the Nighthaunt list.

18 minutes ago, Sception said:

Honestly, with their own book probably not far out, its probably best to just wait.

Sounds fair. but for someone wanting to start, I doubt its a good thing to wait until July. I may recommend him getting just one tormented spirits box to have something to build and paint and wait for the new book. 

Quick background query as its mentioned in the latest story- why are some nighthaunt models so 'hunched' over- assumed it was just that they were flying somewhat horizontally, but latest story mentions that they are 'hunchbacked.' GW usually get inspiration from other sources so where does this one come from?

12 minutes ago, Tailessine said:

Quick background query as its mentioned in the latest story- why are some nighthaunt models so 'hunched' over- assumed it was just that they were flying somewhat horizontally, but latest story mentions that they are 'hunchbacked.' GW usually get inspiration from other sources so where does this one come from?

That's a fairly common trope for European ghosts I believe - not sure as to *why*, but tradionally giests and wraiths are often portrayed as being hunched over, shrouded in tattered robes and often trailing chains.

From the malign portents story, I imagine the soul-stealer to look like one of these: f41f6dc912b2852655820608305a4a23.jpgchapel-geist.jpg

(Magic cards btw)

I just finished my small Nighthaunt army for the painting competition, so I am very excited to see new models that aren't Spirit hosts or Hexwraiths (hopefully they are less of a pain to assemble too). I'm hoping (besides the black coach) for a new hero or two - hopefully one with magic, one battleline, a big monster or two, and an assassin-y unit.  

So I have amassed the following....

21 Spirit Host Bases

Arkhan the Black

20  Hexwraiths

3 Cairn Wraith

1 Knight of shrouds

4 Banshee

2 Mourngul

Now I know it can be good, but not really tier 1 til a book and more options. but whats the best list of this to be completive?  What alliance do I use? I see the Nighhaunt in the GH2017 can give them 6+++ to wound and mortal, options to deepstrike. The Artifacts are meh. Someone break this down whats best to use? There a way to get the 6+++ and have the gravestone/arkhan as a ally heal them? Obvisouly looking to have KoS general to give them +1 to hit for more mortal wounds

On 31.3.2018 at 6:06 PM, Trayanee said:

Sounds fair. but for someone wanting to start, I doubt its a good thing to wait until July. I may recommend him getting just one tormented spirits box to have something to build and paint and wait for the new book. 

I guess it depends what you want to do... It is not very likely that spirit hosts, hexwraiths and co. will no longer be usefull after the new book comes out. And thus you'd have time to build up slowly and see how you like it. After all you can also go into LoN and use the models with those lists. Personally I think with Death it is nice to go for Variety^^

On 4/4/2018 at 10:17 PM, Scourn1 said:

So I have amassed the following....

21 Spirit Host Bases

Arkhan the Black

20  Hexwraiths

3 Cairn Wraith

1 Knight of shrouds

4 Banshee

2 Mourngul

Now I know it can be good, but not really tier 1 til a book and more options. but whats the best list of this to be completive?  What alliance do I use? I see the Nighhaunt in the GH2017 can give them 6+++ to wound and mortal, options to deepstrike. The Artifacts are meh. Someone break this down whats best to use? There a way to get the 6+++ and have the gravestone/arkhan as a ally heal them? Obvisouly looking to have KoS general to give them +1 to hit for more mortal wounds

Pure nighthaunt army cannot use LON gravestites to heal. The best to my understanding is use Coven Throne/Bloodseeker Palanquin to heal SUMMONABLE units, which nighthaunts mainly have that keyword. No...mourngul dun have that word. so no heal....(just when I want to place order, it got new rules.)

Mortis engine can heal DEATH units. But not ally of nighthaunt. so...meh for mourngul.

Hence our club got a new member. Some of us started also with new armys to keep him company while his collection grows. 

I choose the nighthaunt mainly b/c I had a unused Malignants box. Also I traded my sylvaneth for some more 2nd hand models.

Now I have the following Models:

1x Cairn Wraith

1x Knight of Shrouds

2x Tomb Banshee

15x Hexwraith

12x Spirit Host

1x Black Coach.

We limit ourselfes to a 1'000p. So our newbie can grow without pressure. And I also set as a personal goal, to field every model more painted than the game before, till it is on TTM standard. (One of germans larger 40k tournament rulesets.)

The List I came up with focus on diversity of the model range and the fact, that I absolutly adore the Models of the Black Coach and the Knight of Shrouds.

980p NIGHTHAUNTS Allegience

----------------------------------------------

LEADER (4/4)

1x Knight of Shrouds (General, Cloaked in Shadows)

1x Cairn Wraith

2x Tomb Banshee

BATTLELINE (3/2+)

3x Spirit Hosts

6x Spirit Hosts

5x Hexwraiths

OTHER (oo)

1x Black Coach (Midnight Tome)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2018 at 11:28 PM, AlvinAOS said:

Pure nighthaunt army cannot use LON gravestites to heal. The best to my understanding is use Coven Throne/Bloodseeker Palanquin to heal SUMMONABLE units, which nighthaunts mainly have that keyword. No...mourngul dun have that word. so no heal....(just when I want to place order, it got new rules.)

Mortis engine can heal DEATH units. But not ally of nighthaunt. so...meh for mourngul.

So quiet here lol

I like Arkhan the black for heal summonable and can reroll any D3 for heal,

+2 cast and unbind also good too 

Hey folks,

Just found this place figured I would throw my hat into the ring.   Got into AoS through a Path to Glory campaign, played Tzeetch... hated the fickle nature of rolling for super important spells.  Switched to my 8th Edition bread and butter of 'high aelves'... found their factions all disconnected and didn't feel like painting hundreds of samey phoenix guard models.  So bought into death.  Obviously ghosts and wraiths are the coolest so Nighthaunt it was.

I bought in just in time for what I consider huge nerfs mixed in with huge buffs... so that was a rough and tumble entry into the legion of spooks.  We lost the ability to improve our unrendable save... and our mourngul got hit with a wiffle bat.  On the plus side our spooks got more stabby, so I guess it was a wash.  Shame we didn't get a fancy Legion in the death tome... here is hoping for a Nighthaunt tome.  Those leaks showed ghostly infantry and what seems like a new black coach.  Couple that with the Shadespire cards being leaked had a new warband logo on it and spectral swordsmen as the image and I assume we will even get a Shadespire unit we can bring. (Even if they are usually meh.)

Anyways, might as well start off with a battle report and some thoughts.

My list is as follows:
Knight of Shrouds

• Pendant of the Fell Wind
  • Ruler of the Spirit Hosts

Cairn Wraith

Cairn Wraith

Cairn Wraith

Cairn Wraith

Tomb Banshee

x15 Hexwraiths

x6 Spirit Hosts

x6 Spirit Hosts

x6 Spirit Hosts

Mourngul

His list was roughly:

Lord Aquilor

Lord Aquilor

x3 Pallidor Knights

x3 Pallidor Knights

x3 Pallidor Knights

x5 Vanguard Hunters

x5 Vanguard Hunters

x10 Vanguard Hunters

Random Hero Knight Guy

Random Hero Knight Guy

We played Scorched Earth, and this was interesting because both of our armies were highly mobile forces.  His army had some type of battalions that allowed him to relocate his forces to table edges and shoot twice in the shooting phase when they arrived.  He obviously saved this move for the x10 man unit of Vanguard Hunters.  In case people do not know the names I listed, he was playing two of some Stormcast Battalions of the Vanguard Chamber.

I placed all of my units in the underworld except my Cairn Wraiths and my Hexwraiths.  Using the mass of 15 horsemen to spread out to cover as much of one corner as possible I denied him the ability to turn one ambush me anywhere important.  My Cairn Wraiths also spread out among the horsemen to make them poor targets and allow for more table edge coverage.  Unlike our spooks, his men needed to arrive via table edge, so I was hugging the board edge with as much coverage as possible.  He deployed only the Pallidor Knights and his two random heroes.  I call them random heroes because he did not get to even move them during the game much less show me what they did. So... heh heh.  He deployed his Pallidors on objectives, since they can ride the magical glitter dust winds whenever he wants them to and zip across the board so positioning is apparently not super important to Pallidors.

I gained first turn, and proceeded to raise every single unit in the underworld in one rolling wave, not only because I had a lot of targets of opportunity, but also to reduce the "Kill Me" neon signs hanging over all my Cairn Wraiths and the KoS specifically.  My Spirit Hosts and Mourngul proceeded to engage his backfield objectives, concentrating heavily on my right wing of the table to continue to deny table edges to his golden scout boys.  Hexwraiths moved double fast up to hover in the middle of the table presenting a massive threat bubble across the entire table.  Pendant of the Fell Wind made them a danger to any point on the table I decided to commit them to, and them just loitering in the middle close enough to support any of the Spirit Host pockets kept his waited for double shoot surprise.  I purposefully left the Mourngul hanging in the wind on my farthest left flank hoping to lure in the x10 man unit and their double shots arrival, and he took the bait.  Those archers put on a world of hurt when they arrive and get two full shooting phases on you.  The Mourngul went down in a flurry storm of 'totally not bolt pistols' but the big blob had blown their proverbial load.  His five man squads dropped in also into small patches of open space all along my lines.  Their fire was annoying and killed some Spirit Hosts, but mainly I weathered it fine.

Two things conspired to make this a loss in the end, and only together did they seal the fate of my Spooks.  First I made the mistake of pillaging the objectives I seized on the right flank and middle of the board.  I had three objectives under my control and burned two of them for quick points.  I did this because I intended to proceed left  and clear the other points.  However, Stormcasts are sturdy jerks and my spooky ghosts decided they were done mortal wounding and would rather get into pillow fights with the scouts.  Secondly, he got a double turn directly afterwards... resulting in three full shooting phases into my lines without the ability to respond.  By the time the guns smo... I mean 'crossbow pistol smoke' cleared I was entangled in multiple melees too far from the left side objectives to properly make any form of push to take them.  He still had two units of Pallidors and a random hero on the left flank camping objectives, both his and mine.  With only a Cairn Wraith having a picnic on my right flank home objective scoring me 1 point a turn, and having burned the other two points when I took hold of them for a measly 4 points... I could only grind through stubborn Stormcasts so fast while he gained at first 2 and then 3 points a turn with Pallidors who could skate on sparkles around and into my back field to eventually ruin my Cairn Wraith's picnic.  By battle round four, I had 8 points, and he had 8 points without pillaging my back field objectives and I had no potential option to stop him from just choosing to pillage the objectives and come out on top.   If the goal had been to out play and destroy each other's extremely mobile forces I would have been victorious as the bulk of his forces were destroyed, and the Spooky Ghosts were finally breaking free of their dying Stormcast road blocks.  Alas, this game is played with objectives, and I made a terrible decision to burn objectives for a random roll of points instead of taking the certain 3 points a turn that would have forced his pretty pink pallidors to stop skating around on rainbows and join the fight.

Lessons Learned:  Don't immediately pillage your objectives on Scorched Earth if you comfortably hold them. Rolling a d3 is more likely to net you less in the long run than simply holding on to it.  Hexwraiths are the perfect mix of dangerous, yet not dangerous.  My opponent didn't like them, and didn't want to commit anything to fight them, but also did not expect them to be much of a threat and therefore did not direct any major effort into slimming their numbers.  In a mass of 15 horsemen, they can spread pretty wide if you want to cover deployment, are very resilient to keep you in the game while other things wait to pop up from the underworld, and can dish out a lot of damage as well.  My Hexwraiths eventually did charge like a cruise missile into the x10 Vanguard squad and with the help of a singe Cairn Wraith, reaped their souls along with a unit of Pallidors.  With the Pendant of the Fell Wind, they are also much better able to do the run over move once the battle line is joined with the Spirit Hosts.  Engage with Spirit Hosts, then ride over the melee with the Hexwraiths and charge in from behind to get the full envelopment of your hated foe.

Banshee was mostly useless, would rather have had another Cairn Wraith.  Knight of Shrouds is basically just a trumped up Cairn Wraith.  His command ability is fine... but anything one use like that is meh in my book.  Could have been two more Cairn Wraiths... who rock in melee by the way.

I'm really looking forward to the July nighthaunt release as I am warming to the spoopy ghost bois.

May end up cutting down some of my death and running mostly nighthaunt & flesh eaters because all the skellingtons and zombies take up a lot of space and I don't wanns paint them :( (Unless I paint them as ghost skellies)

Will likely keep my vampire stuff too though as I adore my vamps.

Though does anyone have recommendations on finding alternate models for cairn wraiths? If I'm gonna need a lot of them it'd be super nice to have different models.

Also alternate spirit host ideas would also be cool once again for a bit of variation.

16 minutes ago, Dracothjay said:

Guys, I’m out of touch with this thread, but are we expecting MORE  NH MODELS!? And a battletome?

The general consensus is that soul wars is going to feature nighthaunt due to the knight of shrouds being on the cover and the fact we got that little teaser video that showed what looked like nighthaunt stuffs. Including what many are suspecting as a new black coach.

In the teaser video we also saw what appeared to be ghostly infantry.

At 0:25 you can see two hunched spirits that seem to be carrying some sort of hand weapons.  They could be on the base of the Black Coach, but I am not sure where they would go since we see the coach and the horses.

In the sneak peak of the Shadespire cards, we get 'Spectral Parry'.  For those unfamiliar with Shadespire there are two icons on the top corners of the card.  Top left is a dagger icon identifying the card as a one shot card called a 'Ploy' card.  The top right is reserved for the Warband icon or if it is a neutral card it has a basic shadespire icon.  'Spectral Parry' has a light blue Portcullis icon.  That means it is either part of a new warband, or perhaps some new form of expansion. (Though no expansions like this have ever existed to suggest that.)  Pretty much all warband specific cards show members of their warband in the art, and 'Spectral Parry' shows a sword wielding ghost of some sort.

Although... the tease also calls out specifically Nighthaunt and Flesh-eater courts already getting expanded rules.  Can't imagine them making a new ghost faction, but maybe we will get some sort of Malignant coalition or something instead.  *shrug*  We shall see.

7 hours ago, Lightbox said:

I'm really looking forward to the July nighthaunt release as I am warming to the spoopy ghost bois.

May end up cutting down some of my death and running mostly nighthaunt & flesh eaters because all the skellingtons and zombies take up a lot of space and I don't wanns paint them :( (Unless I paint them as ghost skellies)

Will likely keep my vampire stuff too though as I adore my vamps.

Though does anyone have recommendations on finding alternate models for cairn wraiths? If I'm gonna need a lot of them it'd be super nice to have different models.

Also alternate spirit host ideas would also be cool once again for a bit of variation.

I mixed and matched ghost units for variety, I have a swarm of custom Spirit Hosts, I will get around to posting pictures of them eventually, but in the mean time here are my cairn wraiths.

20180426_101958.jpg

On 4/26/2018 at 2:25 AM, Lightbox said:

Not an alternate but a very cool conversion I found. 

cw1.jpg

Archived