Narrative in GHB2017

chord

Things were a little muddled as they put rules for treacherous campaigns in the Open section. Of course the lines between the two are pretty blurry.

With the extra rules for Coalition of Death and Triumph and treachery open play seemed to big winner in GHB17.

That said the narrative Battleplans are excellent and provide a nice pick n mix approach to producing a linked series of games.

The siege rules are interesting but they are just that and I felt an opportunity was missed for some deeper fortification rules and a bit more input on the storming of them rather than the just the strategy of a siege. I was hope for rules like those for the Dreadhold but for other factions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Auticus said:

I liked the Triumph and Treachery stuff.  Though thats more "open".  I was disappointed with the "siege" section.  Very small and very insignificant overall.  I was hoping for some more content. 

Overall the GHB 2017 for me is useful for Triumph and Treachery games.  That was about it.

We can only hope that these game modes will get enough love to get a book of their own like the Path of Glory did :) 

Personally I was very disappointed in the narrative section.  Owning most of the newer campaign books the battleplans I already had.  Although the Siege rules were expanded from the ones in All-Gates so that was nice. (now just re-release the Mighty Fortress please).

So overall I was disappointed with the GHB2017.  I hope next year they can give us more narrative, or at least new battelplans.

After a further reading I reckon we've done ok for narrative in the GHB17. Granted the Narrative section is pretty small but all the stuff in the open section is good for Narrative. They even give us two very easy campaigns in Open War and Treacherous Campaigns.

I retrospect I'm much happier with the siege rules they're nice and manageable, provide the necessary flavour and yet work well with the existing rules, in fact I'm feeling that the Stronghold rules are rather clever and allow for plenty of diversity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posititves: Introduced Multiplayer, Rounded out the Factions with Allegiance Abilities

Negatives: GHB16 was short on helping to build up the fluff too (Though there was the good bit about Nagash vs Archaon). GHB17 may have done less, minus the glimpses and theories you could make from the Allegiance Abilities.

2 hours ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

After a further reading I reckon we've done ok for narrative in the GHB17. Granted the Narrative section is pretty small but all the stuff in the open section is good for Narrative. They even give us two very easy campaigns in Open War and Treacherous Campaigns.

Keep in mind that Path to Glory got its own book recently, whereas that was in the previous General's Handbook.  The Narrative stuff is still around, but in more locations now.

I want new Campaign books that continue the overall Narrative that started with Shadows over Hammerhal and continues in Blightwar!

I don't think I'm alone in having enjoyed the Realmgate Wars and their Narrative games. By the way most, if not all, the "new" battleplans and special rules in the Narrative section are from the Realmgate Wars campaign books. 

4 hours ago, Wraith01 said:

I want new Campaign books that continue the overall Narrative that started with Shadows over Hammerhal and continues in Blightwar!

I don't think I'm alone in having enjoyed the Realmgate Wars and their Narrative games. By the way most, if not all, the "new" battleplans and special rules in the Narrative section are from the Realmgate Wars campaign books. 

Agreed more campaign books!  I loved them so much lore, great rules,etc 

I think GW still has not differentiated narrative from open. 

I'd like the narrative mode to have its own army building system that separates it from matched or open play. Path to Glory is kind of that but take it even further. People love list building and I think there's a lot of opportunity for unique list building mechanics that might be much more wild than what's available in matched.

12 hours ago, polarbear said:

I'd like the narrative mode to have its own army building system that separates it from matched or open play. Path to Glory is kind of that but take it even further. People love list building and I think there's a lot of opportunity for unique list building mechanics that might be much more wild than what's available in matched.

A very interesting idea. 

I would have loved to see Regiments of Renown and the Campaign rules from All-Gates in the GHB 2017.  To me they are much better than allegiance abilities.  

13 hours ago, polarbear said:

Historical refights aside I think this is because there isn't really any difference in each game itself.  The narrative comes in the surround story and how the games are linked togeather.  The same goes for Matched play,  it wouldn't be hard to link the Matched play battleplans into a campaign.  Most tournaments actually function in a campaign like manner with each game influencing the next  

Archived