"Competitive" Moonclan grots

Congratz

Hey ya :) i think i need your help .......... again sorry xD

You see i am going to a tournement next week and of course i want to play my Moonclan Grots

Problem is all my list have been rekt :(:( 

So i need help making a highly competitive Moonclan grot list :) 

You can also show me your competitive list, that would be nice :)

Have a good day :)

Hey ya [emoji4] i think i need your help .......... again sorry [emoji23]
You see i am going to a tournement next week and of course i want to play my Moonclan Grots
Problem is all my list have been rekt [emoji20][emoji20] 
So i need help making a highly competitive Moonclan grot list [emoji4] 
You can also show me your competitive list, that would be nice [emoji4]
Have a good day [emoji4]

To better assist you in your list building ... could you provide the models available to you, and what kind of list you had previously?

We could help make a great list for you ... but if you don't have the models... it doesn't really help you :)

One of the recent competitive lists that went well and was posted had large numbers of Squigs. If you don't have squigs that info isn't as helpful for you :(

5 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

To better assist you in your list building ... could you provide the models available to you, and what kind of list you had previously?

We could help make a great list for you ... but if you don't have the models... it doesn't really help you :)

One of the recent competitive lists that went well and was posted had large numbers of Squigs. If you don't have squigs that info isn't as helpful for you :(

I have 40 grots with spears, 20 with stabbas, 40 bowmen. (With nets in every unit)

2 Warbosses with squigs

2 warbosses on squigs

2 Shamans

9 squigs (I will buy some more if you recomend :))

1 Mangler Squig (Same as above)

1 Colossal Squig

2 Herders

10 Hoppers

7 Fanatics

I also have these non goblin models

1 Troll hag

6 Fellwater Trolls

3 Giants

6 Ogors

6 Irongust

4 Leadbelchers

4 stonehorns

I have used this list:

Leaders

1x Skarnsik

1x Shaman

1x Warboss on Squig

1x Trollhag

Units:

20x Grots

20x Grots

20x grots

10x Hoppers

4x Fanatics

3x Fellwater Trolls

3x Fellwater Trolls

Behemoths:

1x Colossal Squig

1980/2000

"Back of the Napkin" it looks like you're running "low" on your battleline numbers. Minimum 20 grot units of Moonclan gives little leeway to soak damage and deal it in return. They're low bravery and likely to flee with battleshock.

What problems did you find that you had when playing with your Army?

(Not enough shooting? Couldn't take care of melee? Unable to control objectives? Not fast enough? Not enough damage against behemoths/Elites? Not able to take lots of damage? Low survivability? It wasn't a fun Army to play with?)

2 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

"Back of the Napkin" it looks like you're running "low" on your battleline numbers. Minimum 20 grot units of Moonclan gives little leeway to soak damage and deal it in return. They're low bravery and likely to flee with battleshock.

What problems did you find that you had when playing with your Army?

(Not enough shooting? Couldn't take care of melee? Unable to control objectives? Not fast enough? Not enough damage against behemoths/Elites? Not able to take lots of damage? Low survivability? It wasn't a fun Army to play with?)

I played against Kharadon

Never played with objectives so i am new to that

Colossal Squig and troll hag got rekt by shooting.

Grots did good tho i meele and survived because of the 4+ save agianst shooting.

My "Elite" units (Colossal and Trollhag) got rekt so could not kill his Ship and therfore lost :(

I am by no means an expert on Moonclan, but I agree that you want max units of grots. You want the bonuses that you get for large stacks. So first thing I would suggest is getting 20 more grots to max out your stabba unit. This way you can lose a few before you lose your bonuses. 

I have an idea as to how the moonclan list won a major tournament. This is not an easy army to win with, and the player who pulled it off played extremely well and knew his army inside and out.

He won not by killing his opponent, but by grabbing mission objectives and winning on points. Key to that using units to block off objectives.

He used cave squigs as disposable blockers. Their job was to die in combat, and stall units for a few turns. If they dealt decent damage to the unit in the process even better. 

Fanatics are the same thing. They are a surprise move that can keep a unit holding an objective from being charged at least for a turn, by charging the would be charger instead.

Colossal Squiggs and manglers are great damage dealers, but fragile. They are going to get hurt and probably die. So you want to throw them at a threat, get their damage done first, and then anything else they do is just a bonus.

Other than that, the army requires that you fight Skarsnik style, which is to say "smarter not harder".

35 minutes ago, bonzai said:

I am by no means an expert on Moonclan, but I agree that you want max units of grots. You want the bonuses that you get for large stacks. So first thing I would suggest is getting 20 more grots to max out your stabba unit. This way you can lose a few before you lose your bonuses. 

I have an idea as to how the moonclan list won a major tournament. This is not an easy army to win with, and the player who pulled it off played extremely well and knew his army inside and out.

He won not by killing his opponent, but by grabbing mission objectives and winning on points. Key to that using units to block off objectives.

He used cave squigs as disposable blockers. Their job was to die in combat, and stall units for a few turns. If they dealt decent damage to the unit in the process even better. 

Fanatics are the same thing. They are a surprise move that can keep a unit holding an objective from being charged at least for a turn, by charging the would be charger instead.

Colossal Squiggs and manglers are great damage dealers, but fragile. They are going to get hurt and probably die. So you want to throw them at a threat, get their damage done first, and then anything else they do is just a bonus.

Other than that, the army requires that you fight Skarsnik style, which is to say "smarter not harder".

I really like that ?

Can you give me an idea for a 2000 point list ?

Why would i expand my Stabbas isnt Pokin spearz better in numbers?

@TheOtherJosh @bonzai

So i have looked at the rules for the great moonclan and i think its great so i build a list around what do you think?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leaders:

1x Grot Warboss (General, Bellowing Tyrant, Battlebrew, Moon Prodder & Giant Cave Squig)

1x Moonclan Grot Shaman (Gem of Seeing)

1x Moonclan Grot Shaman 

Units:

40x Moonclan Grots (Bows & Slittas, Full command)

40x Moonclan Grots (Pokin Spears & Moon Shields, Full command, 6 netters)

40x Moonclan Grots (Pokin Spears & Moon Shields, Full command, 6 netters)

6x Grot Fanatics

Behemoths: 

1x Mangler Squig

1x Mangler Squig

1x Colossal Squig

Battalions:

Great MoonClan

174 Wounds, 1960/2000p

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All units have +1 bravery. In addition, for every hit score of 6 or more, that model immediately generates an extra attack. The grot warboss can re-roll failed hit rolls if you are either wearing a hood or you beat your opponent in a staring competition.

This makes any grot unit almost cheesy. Extra hits with fanatics, mangler squigs, and the warboss are nasty, and don't underestimate the amount of sixes to hit you make with a mob of 40+ grots. Speaking of grot mobs, when your warboss uses bellowing tyrant and his command ability on the humble mob of grots, they become nasty. Nets hitting and wounding on 3s, spears hitting on 4s and wounding on 2s(!). Every hit roll of 5 or 6 generating an extra attack, and every wound roll of 4,5, or 6 doubles damage. Consider bringing 60 grots in a mob to make sure their backstabbing mob ability remains at maximum.

Something to consider: When used in a Great Moonclan formation and with the bellowing tyrant ability and battle brew artifact, a grot warboss with moon prodda and great cave squid becomes a stick of C4. Pop the abilities and artifact on himself, and his damage goes up to a possible 112 in a single phase due to double damage rolls and extra attacks from the formation. Doubling damage on a great cave squig when the same roll for its attacks pretty much doubles damage already is brutal, and due to battle brew, a 5+ to wound means D6x2 damage with each one that does so. CHOMP!

(From 1d4chan Moonclan Grot Tactics 1.1 https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Age_of_Sigmar/Tactics/Edition_1.1/Moonclan_Grots)

What do you guys think? Something you would change?

It looks pretty solid. But it has multiple units that you don't have in your Army collection (based on your list).

With the update to Moonclan forces coming in GHB 2017 take a look at the Warhammer Community article here:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/11/gh2-destruction-aug-11gw-homepage-post-3/

Cave Squigs and Squig Hoppers become "battleline if" your allegiance is Moonclan.

1 minute ago, TheOtherJosh said:

It looks pretty solid. But it has multiple units that you don't have in your Army collection (based on your list).

With the update to Moonclan forces coming in GHB 2017 take a look at the Warhammer Community article here:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/11/gh2-destruction-aug-11gw-homepage-post-3/

Cave Squigs and Squig Hoppers become "battleline if" your allegiance is Moonclan.

I am willing to buy more :) the tournement uses generals handbook 1

One thing that people frequently seem to miss is that Moonclan Grots max out at 60, not 40.  This is important to consider with GHB2 dropping in a couple of weeks with the new horde rules.  Personally, I'm hoping that the max unit size is reduced to 40.

I would also try to include netters in all of your Grot units if possible.  Unfortunately I'm starting from the BfSP Moonclan which didn't include netters, and you only get 3 in the new boxes of 20.  So I have a netter deficit that I'm not sure how to solve yet!

Honestly the Moonclan bows look really poor.  Short range at 5+/5+ and no benefit from any of their abilities.  They really need something similar to the Greenskinz Orruks Ready!Aim!Fire! ability to make the bows worth considering.

I would check that you're allowed to use Great Moonclan battalion as it doesn't have points in the GHB.

... I would check that you're allowed to use Great Moonclan battalion as it doesn't have points in the GHB.

Points for the Great Moonclan are on p.149 of the GHB (in the Compendium section)

You should however still check with your TO, as the Great Moonclan requires Night Goblins. And there are no points for any Night Goblins ... all of the "Night Goblin" scrolls have been "upgraded/replaced" by Grots.

I found the list for you.

GT Heat 3 Winning list: Moonclan Grots

Leaders:
Grot Shaman
Grot Shaman
Grot Warboss – General, Battlebrew, Bellowing Tyrant

Battleline:
20x Grots – Spears
20x Grots – Spears
20x Grots – Bows

Other:
20x Cave Squigs
20x Cave Squigs
4x Grot Fanatics
2x Grot Squig Herders
2x Grot Squig Herders
2x Grot Squig Herders

Behemoths:
Mangler Squig
Mangler Squig
Colossal Cave Squig 

Again, I am by no means an expert. I have listened to the player describe his tactics which I summed up above. 

51 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Points for the Great Moonclan are on p.149 of the GHB (in the Compendium section)

You should however still check with your TO, as the Great Moonclan requires Night Goblins. And there are no points for any Night Goblins ... all of the "Night Goblin" scrolls have been "upgraded/replaced" by Grots.

Thanks for the correction! I forget the compendium section even exists.

18 hours ago, bonzai said:

I found the list for you.

GT Heat 3 Winning list: Moonclan Grots

Leaders:
Grot Shaman
Grot Shaman
Grot Warboss – General, Battlebrew, Bellowing Tyrant

Battleline:
20x Grots – Spears
20x Grots – Spears
20x Grots – Bows

Other:
20x Cave Squigs
20x Cave Squigs
4x Grot Fanatics
2x Grot Squig Herders
2x Grot Squig Herders
2x Grot Squig Herders

Behemoths:
Mangler Squig
Mangler Squig
Colossal Cave Squig 

Again, I am by no means an expert. I have listened to the player describe his tactics which I summed up above. 

Too bad this wont work in the GH2 due to the Fanatics

Yes but now Fanatics are 3 per unit minimum at 100 pts per 3

You're right. No, the exact list won't work.

But you no longer need the Grots as battleline.

Which means that you could drop one of them, and replace it with another unit of 3 fanatics.

Or go all Squigs and Squig Hoppers.

The possibilities are squigilicious!

40 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

I like the idea of going full on squigs...squigs for daaaaaays. Maybe one massive unit of grots of course but moar squigs...maybe a fancy new rogue idol...

Only problem with the idol is their current points value of 480. Which means that you can only ally them in 2,500 plus games, or go mixed destruction and lose allegiance benefits.

I definitely want to use them with my Bonesplitterz. If any group has the waagh energy to animate one it should be them. Plus it's the only monster they shouldn't want to kill.

Archived