Triumphs vs. Unit Selection

Do you build matched play lists that ensure no points are wasted, or do you leave points a side in order to (hopefully) secure a Triumph?

If so, at what point in your list building process do you stop selecting units? 20pts? 40pts? 60pts? 80pts?

I'm playing around with a 2,500pt tournament list, I'm currently sitting on 2,440pts, and I got thinking how other people approach this situation. 

Back in the old Warhammer fantasy days it was easy to build a full pointed army by taking magic weapons/armour/banners/etc or single models.

As an Order player, I could add a Great Eagle,a Witch Hunter, Gryph-hound, restructure my force to squeeze another 20pts to add another 80pt unit, or just go in under pointed. 

I'd love to hear your process and thoughts on the value of Triumphs and if you take it into consideration while list building. 

IF you remember  triumphs they can be game changing. Imagine rerolling all failed hits on a stonehorn that rolled terribly to hit. It ensures you a more accurate damage output or saving throw. I really like it, i mean is way stronger than most people think. Rerolling wounds for a tyrant with gutgorger, for a unit of dracoths, these things can really turn a game in favor of the player who has the triumph.

Speaking of points for me even 60 points can be fine. With more i think that they can be spend better elsewhere.

Others? ;)

I find at 20pts available, I sometimes get a Triumph.

I find at 40pts available, I often get a Triumph.

At 60pts I can take a Great Eagle which can help secure early objectives with 12" base movement, while a Witch Hunter can help Three Places of Power with another hero. 

The Triumph buff can be pretty outstanding, however; what I said above makes me second guess. 

Depends on the army of course, as I still prefer factions above grand alliances, so playing Ogors leaves me little options so 40pt is a triumph 60 is two sabretusks

however when I bring my skaven even 30 points might go to 6 giant rats just to screen or mess with body count on a objective. 

I'm hearing that it's not something that we're not normally concious of. 

Triumphs aren't top of mind for me when I'm playing with friends, however; I become more aware at tournaments as we trade lists. 

I'm thinking that it might be worthwhile making tokens for them so I remember the special ability in the heat of battle. 

Generally aim for the points value smack bang on the head or within 20 points of it. I always forget about Triumphs during my games, don't even know if anyone at our last tournament remembered about them.

I think it's an interesting concept to purposely lower your points in the hope of getting a triumph. But don't know if it's powerful enough as to smacking your points limit on the head (Maybe if you're filled to the brim with undercosted units you can afford to be 40 points under >.>)

@someone2040 i guess my thought pattern is that my list includes a Carmine Dragon and Freeguild General on Griffon. Any of the Triumph buffs would be significant in the heat of combat. 

On the flip side, if I take a Great Eagle or Witch Hunter (as an example) what value do they provide on the battlefield and doesn't it outweigh a hit/wound/save buff?

i guess it's an open question because anything can happen in battle 

Archived