What's the fewest models you could field while being competitive?

I'm sure we're all seen the destruction big beasties lists but I'm wondering what other lists could do the same thing. 

What's the fewest models you could field in a 2k list while still being competitive? Any alliance or faction is cool. I'm just curious how flexible AoS is.

You could run an Everchosen list, with Archaeon (700pts), a Gaunt Summoner of Tzeentch (120pts), and three units of 3x Varanguard (360pts per unit). It comes in at 1900 points with just 11 models.

That said, I am completely uncertain of how "competitive" it would be. I bet it would be fun though! Even if it is rather expensive (US$165 + $40 + 3x $100 = $505, or about $46 per model!).

i run a death list with 20 models at 2k

General

Vamp Lord on Zombie Dragon

ruler of the night

Vamp Lord on Horse

Ghoul King on Terrorgheist

cloak of mists and shadows

Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon

3x 5 Skeleton Horsemen

Terrorgheist

buffs between the big flappies are brutal and they all heal to a decent degree

I've got a blog in the death forum section if you're interested

(sorry shameless self plug lol)

I also run a low model count Death Army:

Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon

Vampire Lord on Horse

Battleline:

3x 5 Blood Knights

Summoning Pool for:

Mourngul

Morghast Archai

2k points, 20 models.  Very deadly list, good mobility when I need to take objectives, everything regenerates.  I have trouble with 3 places of power because of the low hero count, but for that mission I summon 3 banshees instead of 2 Morghasts (5 heroes now, 21 models total).

If I had the guts and/or money, I'd do this Sylvaneth list with 20 models. I hardly doubt it would be very competitive in a tournament setting as some builds would run it over in a turn, but it's not all that bad either.

Spirit of Durthu
Spirit of Durthu
Spirit of Durthu
Spirit of Durthu
Branchwych

3x 5 Tree revenants

Okay, so here is a list you will be seeing fielded by me soon (putting finishing touches to last model currently). It's the lowest model count legal army I can come up with:

7 models:

Frostlord on Stonehorn
Frostlord on Stonehorn
Icebrow Hunter
2 x Mournfang
Stonehorn Beastriders
Stonehorn Beastriders
2000 points on the nail and requisite heroes and battleline fulfilled

Sweet!!

On 12/07/2017 at 8:41 PM, Soup Dragon said:

Okay, so here is a list you will be seeing fielded by me soon (putting finishing touches to last model currently). It's the lowest model count legal army I can come up with:

7 models:

Frostlord on Stonehorn
Frostlord on Stonehorn
Icebrow Hunter
2 x Mournfang
Stonehorn Beastriders
Stonehorn Beastriders
2000 points on the nail and requisite heroes and battleline fulfilled

Sweet!!

This is unbelievably filthy. 

I love it. 

I ran an 11 model army at a 32 player tournament, came 5th and best Destruction with it. 

Frost lord on Stonehorn

Huskard on Stonehorn

Hunter

2 x 2 Mournfang

Stonehorn Beastriders

2 x 2 Sabretusks

Skaal Battalion

Eurlbad Battalion

Nice and easy to purchase (1 Icewind Assualt box and another stonehorn box), quick to build and paint, fun to play with, what's not to love :) 

Certainly think that Destruction Ogres is the way to go with this. By large because there is a lot of support for them and great monsters to pick from which generally lead to few models being great lists.

Cheers,

Hey @Mechadinosaur,

I think Beastclaw Raiders is definitely the way to go here, they have the added bonus of being super cool models as well as pretty strong in the game.

@Soup Dragon has a very solid low model count list there.

FYI - if you buy two of the new Start Collecting! Beastclaw Raiders boxes and add in another Stonehorn/Thundertusk kit you can get an 11 model 2,000 point army.

• 3 weeks later...

So as promised above, the 7 Model Army is ready for BOBO 2017 this weekend in Lincoln - about 60 entrants, so a good sized event. The army is going to struggle in several scenarios (lack of bodies) and struggle against many armies (almost no shooting).

BUT, the games should be short and fun and provide plenty of laughs!

20170802_201254.jpg

Archived