Thunderhead Brotherhood

Agent of Chaos

I know it isn't the sexiest battalion out there (ahem, Hammerstrike, ahem) but I have built a 2000 point list around the Thunderhead battalion (3 x units of Liberators and 2 x units of Judicators). Lord Celestant on foot is my general with Staunch Defender command trait. He sits in the middle of the formation (2 x 5 man liberator squads with shields at front, 2 x 5 man judicators in behind with 3rd 5 man liberator squad deployed wherever they are most useful).

Staunch Defender buffs everyone's saves so the Liberators have a 3+ save, rerolling 1's (2+ should I shine the Castellant's lantern their way) while the battalion special rule & command buff means anyone trying to shoot my Judicators has to get past their 2+ save. When in combat the Liberators with hammers are hitting on 3+ thanks to the Lord Celestant's command ability, wounding on 3+ with reroll of 1's thanks to the battalion's other special rule (the dual sword wielding liberators I keep up my sleeve would be hitting on 2+, rerolling 1's). The whole formation is an infantry tank and makes for a great anvil with the Retributors and Celestant on Dracoth being my hammers.

Biggest weakness is the sniping of the Lord Celestant. Faced a Kunning Rukk for the first time the other week- he took first turn and 30 archers proceeded to make 180 shots all at my General. In the end I only failed 5 saves but he only has 5 wounds so that was that :-( In hindsight I would have given him Mirror Shield (-2 to hit from ranged attacks) or talisman of endurance (+1 wound). Either artifact would have kept him alive for another turn at least. 

If my opponent needs 5+ hit with ranged attacks and I have the mirror shield, does that mean its impossible for him to hit me? Or is a 6 to hit always successful?

Does anyone else out there use this battalion? Any suggestions on how to get even more out of it?

While the bataillon isn't bad in itself, it doesn't offer much.

For my part i dont like it for thoses reaons: 

• It doesn't cheat with movement, a thing stormcast need to be good at.
  • No one shoot at judicators with 3+ save.
  • The 3+ save is easy to escape, 5 mens liberators are easy to avoid.
  • Rerolling 1 to wound is nice but the requirement are aweful, liberators need to run at the ennemy and judicators want to stay far. 
  • Keeping 3 squads with differents roles together is harder than one can think.
  • 80 points is a Knight Azyros or a Lord Relictor.
  • It forces you to take 5 battlelines, a thing you usually want to reduce or want to field in a few big 10-15 man squads.

mirroshield+someone with a lantern of the tempest make you nearly invincible to shooting, except bullshit things like thunderstuck or lightning warp cannon.

Don't forget to bring protectors of course

How can the kunnin rukk target your Lord Celestant if he is in the middle of the Battalion? LoS?

6s always hit and wound is a quite common houserule i think, but i dont think its "official".

I would take this Battalion only if i want to try out Anvils of the Heldenhammer Warrior Chamber, looks fun

Archived