"The Mountain Guard are the elite forces of Averland who guard Black Fire Pass. They are the cream of the Averland forces and include regular troops, Halflings, as well as a special unit of trappers and rangers. They are often the first forces to intercept invading armies and as such commonly take high casualties. They are successful at their job of patrolling the pass, although it is difficult to patrol such long piece of road"
Do you want an unit full of German William Wallace's?
The Freeguild Greatswords are the elite infantry of the Free Peoples, wielding giant Zweihanders into battle, they are staunch defenders of the realms of men and veterans of hundreds of battles.
They aren't much to look at on paper, they have basic human stats, 1 wound each, 5" move, a slightly better save than the Freeguild Guard at +4 and a slightly better Bravery at 6.
Their attack profile is pretty solid, 2 attacks, 4+ hit, 3+ wound, -1 rend and 1 damage each. Not bad really, it's something to work with in the realms of all the buffs the Free Peoples have access to.
The Guild Champion (unit Sergeant) gets 3 attacks instead of 2.
The Standard Bearer also makes an appearance in this unit. Whilst their save and Bravery is standard for humans. Rolls of a 1 for battle shock in this unit is an automatic pass. This is important as it stacks with the Order Battle Trait Defiant Avengers (allowing you to re-roll battleshock tests) and the Freeguild General on Horses banner (roll two dice for Freeguild units with 24" of the Freeguild General). In brief, ALWAYS keep these guys within range of the Freeguild General with Banner.
The Hornblower - Like the Freeguild Guard this creative gentlemen allows your unit to counter-charge after your opponent has moved all of his charging units so long as no enemy models are within 3" of this unit. The counter-charge is a charge based on a D6. Not great, but you will be surprised by the amount of times you can actually get this off (as it overlaps with the Free Peoples Great Company support ability).
Oathsworn Honour Guard - If a unit of Freeguild Greatswords is within 14" of a Free Peoples Hero from your army when they attack, you can add 1 to all of their hit rolls.
Only one ability for these mustachio twirling gents. You will rarely move these guys outside of 14" of a Freeguild General (Foot, Horse or Griffon variant). These guys are bodyguards for your General, this ability merely confirms it. As long as you remain within range of your Freeguild General this will bring your guys to a nice to 3+/3+ on their attacks, pretty tasty.
- Cheaper with GHB2019 - 300pts for 30 finely dressed, mustachioed pantaloons wearing murderers
- Consistent weight of attacks with rend; a unit of 30 (assuming you can get them all in) has 61 attacks.
- Standard Bearer has good synergy with the Defiant Avengers battle trait and the Freeguild General to make a highly battle shock resistant unit.
- They can be underestimated by your opponent - these guys love to get jacked off all the Free Peoples buffs.
- Perfect as a bodyguard for your General and as the core of your army.
- 4+ save - these guys are the hammer to the Freeguild Guards anvil.
- Bravery 6 - low, but we have have high battleshock resistance.
- 5" move - They are very slow, hence susceptible to the next point.
- Highly vulnerable to ranged attack.
- Very unwieldy in a 30 man unit.
- They require significant investment of buffs to be viable.
- DON'T put them in threat range of nasty shooters, these are 1 wound +4 save basic dudes, they will get decimated. Keep them supported by Crossbows and Handgunners and within range of your Indomitable Freeguild General.
- They are great bodyguards for your Freeguild General who is vulnerable at only 5 wounds. Keep him nearby for the 24" battleshock banner, the Indomitable Command Trait (+1 save wholly with 12") and chuck the Hold the Line! command ability on these guys to make them 2+/2+, 3+ save, battleshock resisting monster men.
- Don't take them below 10 men, it's simply not worth it. A 20 man unit is a nice medium, they aren't to unwieldy to move around the table and you can get two ranks in on the 25mm bases.
- Good synergy with the Freeguild General on Griffon's Rousing Battle Cry ability. 1+ hit, +2 bravery and +1 to charge roles makes them significantly better.
- The Amber Battlemage is good to buff these guys with the Wildform spell. +1 wound in the combat phase, couple this with the Rousing Battle Cry command ability and your Greatswords won't be limited by the movement restriction of the Hold the Line! command ability and will have the same attack profile of 2+/2+.
- A Grey Battleamge is also good for keeping them alive, cast Mystifying Miasma to make the unit they are fighting -1 to hit.
- Put them in a Great Company, every unit in the Free Peoples needs SUPPORT!
- Knight-Azyros re-roll 1's just makes them even crazier.