Stormcast tactics (or, feed me your knowledge)

Lucifer

So, I have not played much Aos at all (and zero games with stormcast)  so, I'll like you all to fill me in, short cut my knowledge to get me up to speed...

I'd played Fantasy for so long that I had a good idea of my model's/units' power relative to anything on the table, that's where I want to be.

My thoughts currently from just reading warscrolls 

Liberators - hammers seem the better choice (luckily as the box set comes with them) and they seem pretty 'tanky' - so I can throw them in to most average melee units to hold them?

Judicators- seem much stronger than Liberators (I want lots) and the reach of the bows seems better than the rapid fire of the crossbows?  I want many, at the back, with shockbows - I take it these are good for holding out of the way objectives? 

Paladins - retributors seem the best allrounders and starsoul maces as auto include?  I love protectors and seem to be monster hunters which is cool - I'll be taking 5 I think

Characters - all seem useful and all seem to have a place. Dracoth Lord for being hitty with a unit of Knights,  foot Lord as the actual commander with your Paladins. Relictor behind healing stuff and vexilor for movement shenanigans? 

So, fill me up with your delicious words please!!

What you may have found is that until we get points every unit can have its moment. 

The Retributors with the hammers obliterate with easy. My friend runs a unit of 3 (we play smaller games) and they're always a nightmare to handle. Wounds flying all over the place like they're going out of fashion. 

Judicators are solid and need a little more thought but not a lot. The hero D6 hits makes the difference of the table. 

And remember, you can shoot whilst in combat and split your shots. 

As a noob SCE player myself, I'd love to get some of the more experienced folks to weigh in on this topic too! FWIW, Bryan the @HobbyKiller (@ubertechie74 on twitter) has a great blog with some strategies both for and against Stormcast here: https://hobbykiller.wordpress.com/. Definitely check that out as well. I hear he may be working up a post on his very successful SCGT list as time allows, which should be great.  Cheers for starting the topic!

For me it's a matter of filling gaps and roles. You can't really compare Liberators to Judicators. Both have very different purposes.

Stormcast are a good Swiss army knife that can solo handle a lot of stuff. Just need to figureout your play style and go from there. I'll be building different list for various purposes. Need to defend a position? Grymn's Brotherhood. Need to quickly grab objectives or move around fast. 5 battalions with teleport. And my favorite, the anti-that guy list, Brotherhood of the Great Bolts. 

Every unit has a role. It's just a matter of getting them to fulfill that role.

Well as Shane has already said without a point system it is difficult to judge a unit as in different comp systems some units shine in different volumes.

There are some cases though that certain units have an edge anyway. An example of this is the Judicators. According to my experience and calculations it is always better to have the with Skybolt Bows as they have equal or even better killing power and sport a huge range difference than the ones with the crossbows...

Regarding Liberators no matter what weapon choice you use their effectiveness is the 99% the same so pick the choice you like the most. :)

Us guys at The Black Sun Podcast plan to have our next show be a full Stormcast review. Between us we have played in a few tournaments now and many casual / practice games, so tune in to that once its up. Expect it the start of next month if all goes well.

And my favorite, the anti-that guy list, Brotherhood of the Great Bolts. 

I think you mean, the ultimate "that guy" list. This is by far the most broken thing in the game. It's essentially an autowin button against any regular army. About the only thing which could beat it would be an army entirely made up of Plaguebearers, Night Goblins or Dire Wolves with no heroes or something that deploys the entire army off the table, i.e. more Stormcast.

11 hours ago, Nico said:

I think you mean, the ultimate "that guy" list. This is by far the most broken thing in the game. It's essentially an autowin button against any regular army. About the only thing which could beat it would be an army entirely made up of Plaguebearers, Night Goblins or Dire Wolves with no heroes or something that deploys the entire army off the table, i.e. more Stormcast.

Well...kinda. I say anti-that guy because I would only use it as a hard counter to the jackwagons that decide to bring a kroak bomb, archaon, nagash to a casual non-competitive game. For me it's situational and not for everyday use. If I know someone is bringing something stupid then you need to counter with something equally as bad. If done correctly it should slap your opponent in the face to bring them back to reality. 

Now if you used it all the time then no one will play with you of course lol

Archived