Playtesting new Fyreslayers points

Veterannoob

Played one game, got 2 magmabombs in easily and 15 more infantry. Will be playing a test game or two this weekend at Holy Wars plus all 5 event games with the new points so I'll start this thread to update. Here's everything that will go on the event list including sideboard:

• Runepappy on Magmabomb
  • Runeson on Magmabomb
  • 2 x Runesmiters
  • Rune Master
  • 1-2 Battlesmiths
  • Runeson on foot
  • 2-3 Grimwrath Berzerkers
  • 2 x 25 Vulkites w/double axes
  • 10 vulkites w/shields/picks
  • 15 Hearthguard w/flaming poleaxe
  • 10 Hearthguard w/flaming poleaxe
  • 2-3 5 Auric hearthguard
  • Lords of the Lodge

Holy Wars is allowing new points that came out a week before the event?

On 2/15/2017 at 10:31 PM, Veterannoob said:

Played one game, got 2 magmabombs in easily and 15 more infantry. Will be playing a test game or two this weekend at Holy Wars plus all 5 event games with the new points 

Sorry to jump into your topic @Veterannoob but I had a go with the new points against the new SC book on the weekend and absolutely LOVED it.

2 Magmadroths, Runefather (general, leg.fight. , relic blade) + Runesmiter

2 x Battlesmith for aura coverage

1 x Rune Master (battalion req)

1 x Grimwrath (Relic Blade)

20 x Zerkers (Battalion)

10 x Zerk

25 x Vulkite

10 x Auric

5 x Auric

Lords of the Lodge

Against a Hammerstrike + Chamber to roll additional phases in the hero phase.

I marched up and absolutely wrecked him, it was so much fun :) the extra models felt GREAT although I would have loved a 7th or 8th Hero... 

I'd put my Fyreslayers aside because I felt balance was way out and Sylvaneth got the new style book + multi-battalions but this will make me pick them up again for sure.

Re: Holy Wars this past weekend below. Overall with points so far, 9 games using new points (more to come as I hone in on Adepticon and actually try to bring something better than super fluffy) and while matched play limitations on heroes is a bit of a bummer for us, only having 3 units and 9 possible heroes, the extra bodies in infantry make up for that IMO so far. Vulkites now at 60/5 allow the units of 30 to max out holding that hair save (ward) for as long as the power of the mowhawk stays strong. Note, you must call out as you roll "By the power of my mohawk!" No ******, even me with my legendary unholy dice luck still manages to make so many hair saves. True! 

Now there's room to toss in an extra unit or 2 of aurics to give more shooting power and of course, all these are only more options to tunnel when you start deploying. More bodies also means more weight of fire with nerf (throwing) axes. I've killed more things than ever when you have 30-60 fyreslayers flipping axes at an enemy (yes, even a Mournghoul! :P) especially if rerolling wounds from a smiter's hero ability. The Hearthguard with flaming poleaxe to get that additional mortal wound is great when you can have more. I plan to max one unit to 30 with Lords of the Lodge to pile in and attack twice. That battalion is only getting better and better with this. I'm looking towards a unit of 25-30 and another 10-15 (have 25 total now). If you can get your battlesmith strategically sacrificed (after using the priority reroll buff if using Lords of Lodge, hopefully) and use this battalion to hold an objective or strategic fighting point attacking twice with re-rolls to get more mortal wounds is just gross :) 

--------

Recording the results for Combat Phase podcast today and tomorrow from Holy Wars using the new points. Willingly took a hit on paint (just wanted to come and play and have fun), tied w/2 others behind the best sports winner, 15/30 battle points and overall placing. Wacky scenarios (so good narrative test for new pts.--though did play some matched play & will some more) and some competitive armies and still the new pts. allowed freedom to swap out hero for 2nd magmabomb. About 20 more bodies, so more hair saves each game. 4/5 used list w/Lords of Lodge coming to 1980 so got to roll on triumph table. Remembered 3 games to use it:) 2 x warlord pappy on magmabomb got extra wound, 1 re-roll to hits in one close combat round, 1 change any dice roll (which didn't use for priority, rather used for cinematic trying to make a charge which failed anyway).

Picked traits and artifacts this event. Usually took quicksilver potion on Grimwrath, phoenix stone on pappy, reckless or strategic genius for inspiring presence two large infantry shock troops.
Without the sideboard here's what I used:

Lords of the Lodge
pappy on magmabomb
runemaster
battlesmith
smiter x 2
Grimwrath

2 x 25 vulkites w/double axes
2 x 5 auric hearthguard
15 Hearthguard berzerkers w/flaming poleaxe (lords of lodge)
10 Hearthguard berzerkers w/flaming poleaxe

6 heroes hurts, so next playtesting a series of 2500 -3000 pts to have MP cap of 8 heroes. Should be a huge diff.

Thing is, I include 2 battlesmiths in larger games and I WANT them to die! :) Armor save is nice until I can sacrifice him on an objective or key place so the units can defend the icon, no longer move except to pile in and reroll hits and misses. It's a great strategy if you can make it work. :) 

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys where was the updates on pts please 

They are currently only test values. If you go to scrollbuilder.com you can select to pick from the generals handbook 2 to have a look at them. Hope it helps :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Mohojoe said:

They are currently only test values. If you go to scrollbuilder.com you can select to pick from the generals handbook 2 to have a look at them. Hope it helps :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The updated AOS app has the new point values in the Azyr section.  I think they are more then test values at this point.

Played against the new Point Values for my league, 3 Magmadroths, two blocks of 'Zerkers, a smattering of Hearthguard (both kinds) and a Free People Wizard. List could have certainly used some tuning but it felt a lot meatier than my past Fyreslayers games, I think the new costs are right on the nose. I'm actually very eager to see how they work in combination with the new Duradin since it still feels like Fyreslayers lack shooting options but that's not anything to do with the point value. Combined arms Duradin is looking to be very strong though and Fyreslayers backed by guns gives a nice, old school Dwarven feel.

4 hours ago, CentralKarma said:

The updated AOS app has the new point values in the Azyr section.  I think they are more then test values at this point.

Ignore my earlier post.

The app has been updated.  Points are back to there GHB values.  Kraggi for 20 points again!

This is excellent news. I've recently started collecting fyreslayers, and though I absolutely love the models and have had so much fun painting them, I was a bit disappointed with how they performed. Got completely crushed by ironjawz. With the new points though, could have a nice 1k list and even get a powerful formation in. 

Archived