Hero's Path Narrative League

Ulf

Hi all

In the spirit of contributing something to my local & growing AOS community, I've decided to design an AOS league for my LGS (The Bearded Dragon in Bernardsville, NJ....  great store!), to help get some more players interested in the game, provide a little structure that folks can build on. I'm calling it the "Hero's Path" League. 

I thought I'd post the documents I'm using here, in case anyone wants to borrow them, build on them, or just run their own version of this. :)

The concept is simple; I wanted something that would be casual, have very straightforward rules, would encourage folks to come out & play games, and helps evoke some of the flavor & narrative character of the Realms. My league allows for Open, Narrative, or Matched Play games.  I think this is important because no one likes to be told how they can or can't play. Especially in a fun/casual environment.

The league is based around a map with different Areas on it. Each Area has specific rules for fighting battles there (or not, depending on the Area; some are completely open to player choice). Each Area awards points (called Renown) for a Win, a Loss, or a Draw. The more narrative/restrictive/challenging the Area rules, the more Renown points it's worth. The more vanilla & generic the Area, the less points.

At the halfway point of league play, a Trading Post will open up, allowing players to spend their Renown points on items & upgrades. (I don't have this finalized just yet, but I'll be adding it as a file on here when it's done)

The various Generals will earn Renown throughout their games, and the one with the highest total at the end will be the League Champion. This first iteration of the Hero's Path will run for twelve weeks.

The first run-through of the Hero's Path will take place in Ulgu, the Realm of Shadows. All of the Areas on the Ulgu map are themed around two coastal landmasses I've come up with; The Nightmare Coast, and the Shrouded Archipelago.

Future leagues will take place across the other Realms, and will feature maps & Area rules that tell the tale of armies clashing in those lands. At the moment I'm working on the Realm of Fire version. 

So, please feel free to read over the rules I've included, and the files attached to this post. Happy gaming!

Rules%201_zps4mhvzl5m.jpg

Rules%202_zpspf4p4t7z.jpg

Hero's Path Rules.pdf

Hero's Path Map Areas- Ulgu.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is really great! Your descriptions are very evocative, sounds like a treat to play in this league :)
Do you guys have enough terrain to represent the various realms and specific places? How are the players liking the narrative slant and the setting?

Thanks! Unfortunately, we don't have specific terrain for all the Areas. The store that hosts us has a great selection of terrain, and we kind of use terrain layout on the tabletop to help set the scene.

Ideally I'd like to make some terrain to match the Areas, but that'll probably be for home/club games.

Some of our players really dig the narrative and non-standard elements, others kind of shrug and say 'OK, we'll roll with it, since this is what people are playing, but we're still using Matched Play and the Rules of One"...  so I'd say it's been a mixed bag in terms of response.

But that's cool. It's there for people who want to play, and we all get out of it what we put in.  

Probably the coolest thing about writing the League is that I've been approached by a couple of people wanting to run it themselves, in their own game clubs/groups. That's awesome, in my opinion, and it's exactly the kind of thing that I love about the TGA community. :)  

• 5 months later...

So we have had a GW store open recently near us and I am trying hard to foster an AOS community there. This very month we are formulating an escalation league for the forthcoming Malign Portents. Reading this has really inspired me to make something really great for this budding community. May i use this as a template or directly for our growing league? I think there is some really good description and flavor here and id love to supplement it in.

Archived