Let's chat : Blades of Khorne!

Arkiham

15 hours ago, Darksteve said:

Thanks! Any idea what I should take for General ability/Artefact?

So if you played the list as is I would consider Violent Urgency for a Command trait and for an artifact I would take Brazen Rune depending on your meta. 

I actually would agree with @Killax about thinking about the Slaughterpriest. His 4+ rolls sometimes leave him doing not much for 100 points. Trust me though I do love Killing Frenzy on me Letters. But I have no faith in my ability to roll 50% so usually only take Priests with Gore Pilgrims. Of note dropping him does also remove an unbind which may or may not be a factor in your meta. 

If you dropped the Slaughterpriest then I think there are 2 good 80 options depending on if you want to buff your Bloodwarriors or Bloodletter. Aspiring Deathbringers with +1 attack would be a great for your Bloodwarriors. Where as Bloodmaster gives you the rerolls of 1 to hit on your Lettters.  Additionally the Bloodmaster gives you access to the Crimson Crown to buff your Bloodletters which I agree is the most potent offensive artifact we have.  

Either of these options would allow you to get some chaff in the form of Marauders for 60 points. 

Cheers!

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Easytyger said:

So if you played the list as is I would consider Violent Urgency for a Command trait and for an artifact I would take Brazen Rune depending on your meta. 

I actually would agree with @Killax about thinking about the Slaughterpriest. His 4+ rolls sometimes leave him doing not much for 100 points. Trust me though I do love Killing Frenzy on me Letters. But I have no faith in my ability to roll 50% so usually only take Priests with Gore Pilgrims. Of note dropping him does also remove an unbind which may or may not be a factor in your meta. 

If you dropped the Slaughterpriest then I think there are 2 good 80 options depending on if you want to buff your Bloodwarriors or Bloodletter. Aspiring Deathbringers with +1 attack would be a great for your Bloodwarriors. Where as Bloodmaster gives you the rerolls of 1 to hit on your Lettters.  Additionally the Bloodmaster gives you access to the Crimson Crown to buff your Bloodletters which I agree is the most potent offensive artifact we have.  

Either of these options would allow you to get some chaff in the form of Marauders for 60 points. 

Cheers!

9 hours ago, Killax said:

- Love the 3 backbone blocks, will make for a very hard hitting force.
- Dislike the 40 points left, especially on this level.
- Would suggest dropping the Slaughterpriest for Throne of Blood or Exalted Deathbringer in this set up. Sounds a little weird but the Bloodletters or Mortals will like the bonus, The Crimson Crown is worth the bonus and the model itself can also ensure the Bloodsecrator isn't sniped out easily. The Aspiring Champion route leaves you 60 points left which can be used to have 10 Marauders with Shields and Mark of Khorne, ideal to have for Bloodsecrator protection and objectives.

Typically I like Slaughterpriests with Gore Pilgrims, without it they are a way too dicey investment for me. Those 100 points can give you a lot of things that are much harder to destroy and typically also better. At 1000 points you can't really run Gore Pilgrims so pick the models that are very good just by themselves instead. 

Thank you both for the feedback! I was looking at the point costs earlier and was wondering what you guys thought about a Mighty Lord of Khorne instead of the slaughterpriest. Granted he only really benefits the blood warriors, but he looks primed to be a close combat pro with Mark of the Destroyer and either Beserker Lord or Disciple of Khorne. If I'm readin MOTD correctly then his dog's attacks would also get doubled as the dog is not a mount but another weapon of his?

9 hours ago, Darksteve said:

Thank you both for the feedback! I was looking at the point costs earlier and was wondering what you guys thought about a Mighty Lord of Khorne instead of the slaughterpriest. Granted he only really benefits the blood warriors, but he looks primed to be a close combat pro with Mark of the Destroyer and either Beserker Lord or Disciple of Khorne. If I'm readin MOTD correctly then his dog's attacks would also get doubled as the dog is not a mount but another weapon of his?

In terms of the Mighty Lord of Khorne that's correct for now Steve. It still feels a bit odd with the Mount note included in GH2017 and all but no matter how we follow that intention the Lord really isn't on top of the dog, riding it or carried by it. In general the difference wouldn't be too massive either way though. For sure the MLoK can turn into a Spawn (or die) if everything goes amiss, at the same time he is more of a supporting model more than anything and ideally should be used against Monsters anyway to ensure his Axe can do the work you want it to and to me this is all the reason why Mark of the Destroyer is so great regardless of how the FAQ now states how we should stack. Afterall 140 points of model isn't that much to pay for the attack quantity we get out of him.

The prime thing for 1K though for me is to leave no points open. So in this case I do believe the Deathbringer + Marauder choice at 140 is better as the single MLoK. Because as you said, you don't have too many Mortal units to work that Command Ability with anyway. 

For casual play i made this 2k list. Like to hear what you guys think.

I was thinking of trying the blood council so...

Heroes:

All 3 bloodthirsters once

Bloodsecrator

Bloodstoker

Slaughterpriest 

Units:

30 bloodletters

40 bloodreavers

5 bloodwarriors with goreglaives

1 khorgorath 

1 chaos spawn

Battalion:

Blood council

Havent realy thought of the trait yet but i would run the always hit on 2 weapon on the bt insensate rage and the crimson crown on another.

@Patapoef looks cool to me, three Bloodthirsters are a scary prospect anyway. Keep in mind though that only 1 in 10 Blood Warriors can have a Goreglaive so the Goreglaives are not an option for them in this case at all. If you want to give the list a little bit more of an edge I would also say that the Slaughterpriest could be another 5 Blood Warriors to make one solid unit.

Check this list out:

Leaders:

Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut 

Slaughterpriest x3

Bloodsecrator

Bloodstoker

Battleline:

Bloodreavers x4

Bloodwarriors

Mighty Skullcrushers x3

Battalions:

Gore Pilgrims 

Dark Feast

Brass Stampede 

Wounds: 131

tell me what you guys think, I feel the synergy of Gore Pilgrims and Dark Feast do well with each other just buffing the whole board with three priests casting prayers and the mighty Skullcrushers charging across the board.

33 minutes ago, Heroflegend21 said:

Check this list out:

Leaders:
Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut 
Slaughterpriest x3
Bloodsecrator
Bloodstoker

Battleline:
Bloodreavers x4
Bloodwarriors
Mighty Skullcrushers x3

Battalions:
Gore Pilgrims 
Dark Feast
Brass Stampede 

Wounds: 131

tell me what you guys think, I feel the synergy of Gore Pilgrims and Dark Feast do well with each other just buffing the whole board with three priests casting prayers and the mighty Skullcrushers charging across the board.

I feel 3 Battalions are too much to much for me here. We're talking skipping out on 30 Bloodletter blocks/full units of Bloodreavers or Blood Warriors to make a few Heroes and/or Units preform better while not drastically increasing survivability of key pieces. The prime reason as to why I do not like this is that in a way Age of Sigmar allready boils down somewhat to Hero hunting and now if your opponent is capable of taking out the Bloodstoker early all the benifits from Dark Feast are gone and if they thake out the Bloodsecrator early the whole list has such low numbers that any list with some ranged attacks should be able to handle it. Including lists who play a Bloodthirster for throwing the Bloodflail... However feel free to test it, I just personally don't want to reward my opponents by handing out Battalion points that are essentially tied to Heroes.

What I do think is a great mix is the combination of Gore Pilgrims and Brass Stampede at 3K. For 2K however I feel both are still too costly but either are great, as again we're missing out on a backbone unit for the both of them. Either is allready preforming very well, if not better, when optimized within an army as a single Battalion. For example Brass Stampede is very good when you max out on Mighty Skullcrushers. Likewise Gore Pilgrims is fantastic when you can combine it with multiple large (Bloodletter) units.

In fact the more Im thinking about it the more I honestly don't mind the idea of not running Battalions. For Slaughterpriests this isn't really an option but for most of our mixed lists it actually is. For the moment you can run that additional Khorgorath, Skullcrusher unit or Wrathmonger unit you increase survivability and the option to win the game on objectives by sheer numbers. 

Allegiance: Khorne

Leaders
Bloodstoker (80)
Mighty Lord Of Khorne (140)
- General
- Trait: Unrivalled Battelust 
- Artefact: Mark of the Destroyer 

Battleline
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxes
- 1x Goreglaives
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
- 1x Goreglaives
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
- Meatripper Axes

Units
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)
1 x Khorgoraths (80)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Allies: 0 / 200
 The idea is the blood warriors are shields so the khorgoraths don't receive the charge. Same for the reavers with the mighty lord and the third khorgorath. Meanwhile the bloodstoker attempts to find somewhere to hide himself and buff what is going to be useful.

In my (very small) experience, single khorgorath are very efficient but they rely on not being charged, since they tend to not have enough staying power otherwise. Bloodwarriors have the stayibg power but lack the damage output,.so the idea is make those units work in tandem for 280 points you have 28 wounds, 8 attacks with d2 3+ 3+  -1.

Maybe switch the bloodstoker for an exalted deathbringer with spear would be better. Or change to slaughterpriest + bloodsecrator. 

Any advice? the other option is to remove the mighty lord entirely for a crusher's unit, but i fear getting picked apart in the battleplan that requires heroes to score.

Mark of the Destroyer on your general is a tricky one it's quite likely with a little bit of bad luck and you're going to effectively total your own top character.  For me it's one for a support character.   Ot can lead to Unkhornate behaviour like not attacking (I've done it in a tournament and still feel dirty) because you're unlikely to kill a strong opposition piece in one turn and there's plenty out there that even a Mighty Khorne Lord couldn't polish off in one turn. 

I like the Gorecleaver as I provides -2 rend (which isn't available to pure Bloodbound any other way) and some Mortal Wound potential as you don't have much in that list. 

However if you do go with the Mark you have my respect as going 100% Khornate. 

Khorgoraths are ace we need an individual kit sharpish. 

18 minutes ago, Keldaur said:

The idea is the blood warriors are shields so the khorgoraths don't receive the charge. Same for the reavers with the mighty lord and the third khorgorath. Meanwhile the bloodstoker attempts to find somewhere to hide himself and buff what is going to be useful.

In my (very small) experience, single khorgorath are very efficient but they rely on not being charged, since they tend to not have enough staying power otherwise. Bloodwarriors have the stayibg power but lack the damage output,.so the idea is make those units work in tandem for 280 points you have 28 wounds, 8 attacks with d2 3+ 3+  -1.

Maybe switch the bloodstoker for an exalted deathbringer with spear would be better. Or change to slaughterpriest + bloodsecrator. 

Any advice? the other option is to remove the mighty lord entirely for a crusher's unit, but i fear getting picked apart in the battleplan that requires heroes to score.

I like the idea of the list in itself. I also think that Khorgorath's have become a great choice in general however we still have some basic grounds to cover :) Because Khorgorath's too can be even more efficient when other units are also. Meaning that so far I have yet to see a Khorne list without a Bloodsecrator that 'felt' good enough.

So what I would propose for the above list is:
- Drop Mighty Lord of Khorne
- Drop Khorgorath
(220 points)

- Add Bloodsecrator
- Add Aspiring Deathbringer (with Goreaxe and Skullhammer)
(220 points)

Basically the core of your army is very good, at this level though MLoKs tend to be very expensive and while great a massive ammount of attacks can lead to the same end result, dead opponents. 

2 hours ago, Killax said:

I feel 3 Battalions are too much to much for me here. We're talking skipping out on 30 Bloodletter blocks/full units of Bloodreavers or Blood Warriors to make a few Heroes and/or Units preform better while not drastically increasing survivability of key pieces. The prime reason as to why I do not like this is that in a way Age of Sigmar allready boils down somewhat to Hero hunting and now if your opponent is capable of taking out the Bloodstoker early all the benifits from Dark Feast are gone and if they thake out the Bloodsecrator early the whole list has such low numbers that any list with some ranged attacks should be able to handle it. Including lists who play a Bloodthirster for throwing the Bloodflail... However feel free to test it, I just personally don't want to reward my opponents by handing out Battalion points that are essentially tied to Heroes.

What I do think is a great mix is the combination of Gore Pilgrims and Brass Stampede at 3K. For 2K however I feel both are still too costly but either are great, as again we're missing out on a backbone unit for the both of them. Either is allready preforming very well, if not better, when optimized within an army as a single Battalion. For example Brass Stampede is very good when you max out on Mighty Skullcrushers. Likewise Gore Pilgrims is fantastic when you can combine it with multiple large (Bloodletter) units.

In fact the more Im thinking about it the more I honestly don't mind the idea of not running Battalions. For Slaughterpriests this isn't really an option but for most of our mixed lists it actually is. For the moment you can run that additional Khorgorath, Skullcrusher unit or Wrathmonger unit you increase survivability and the option to win the game on objectives by sheer numbers. 

Yeah I see what you're saying. Trying to throw as many gimmicks in as possible because I really like the battalion rules and feel it makes taking units over others a good choice.  

Leaders:

Lord of Khorne On Juggernaut 

2x  Slaughterpriest

Bloodsecrator

Battleline:

6x Mighty Skullcrushers 

6x Mighty Skullcrushers 

6x Mighty Skullcrushers 

20x Bloodreavers 

10x Bloodwarriors

Battalions:

Brass Stampede

Gore Pilgrims 

Wounds: 155

This list really banks on the Brass Stampede and getting the D6 damage a charge and the range enhancing of Gore Pilgrims with Ranged assists from the priests.

50 minutes ago, Keldaur said:

Sounds good. General bloodsecrator and gorecleaver for the deathbringer ?

Edit: nevermind, thought you said the exalted deathbringer. So general aspiring deathbringer and brazen rune somewhere i guess :P

Both are options, it really depends on what you personally think would be the best. I do believe that the Aspiring Deathbringer Command Ability is excellent so this is why I think he's a fine budget choice. A choice that matters for 1k games.

An Exalted Deathbringer with Gorecleaver is typically a good choice also. The thing is that they are actively better when they are not Generals. The Aspiring Deathbringer on the other hand has some nice abilities and yeah putting the Brazen Rune on the Bloodsecrator is an excellent choice in my opinion. He's the type of model that can be and will be a key target for Arcane Bolts, with the Brazen Rune you at least don't really have to worry about the effects of that. We can lose many models without a drastical impact, except the Bloodsecrator.

On that same sidenote, despite the Bloodreaver cost decrease I actually expect to see them less then ever, multiple Bloodsecrators really kept their functionality alive at 2K, they are a fine choice for 1K (budget again) but if your working towards blocks of Bloodletters your typically more capable of leveling to 2K. Bloodletters are really good also because it's so easy to get that great deal on them. 

16 minutes ago, Heroflegend21 said:

Yeah I see what you're saying. Trying to throw as many gimmicks in as possible because I really like the battalion rules and feel it makes taking units over others a good choice.  

Leaders:
2x  Slaughterpriest
Bloodsecrator

Battleline:

6x Mighty Skullcrushers 
6x Mighty Skullcrushers 
6x Mighty Skullcrushers 
20x Bloodreavers 
10x Bloodwarriors

Battalions:

Brass Stampede
Gore Pilgrims 

This list really banks on the Brass Stampede and getting the D6 damage a charge and the range enhancing of Gore Pilgrims with Ranged assists from the priests.

Yeah this really adds up to something scary! I really like it.

You could also consider running 7 units as a test to see if you still like Gore Pilgrims enough. 
It's something I strongly suggest and in general this is the type of list which I deem truely scary. Avalanche of Brass hurts!

p114.jpg

I do understand that splitting up the units of Skullcrushers will mean less favourable targets for buffs but I do think 1 block of 6 is an excellent target still and so are 10 Blood Warriors. Usually lists don't need much more backbone as that due to the drastic ammount of Mortal wounds you can create, both from all the Skullcrusher units and the Slaughterpriests.

Though as above, I like the list, should do fine.

Cheers,

13 minutes ago, Killax said:

Yeah this really adds up to something scary! I really like it.

You could also consider splitting up 2 of the 6 man units of Mighty Skullcrushers to get the full Battalion benifit.
It's something I strongly suggest and in general this is the type of list which I deem truely scary. Avalanche of Brass hurts!

p114.jpg

I do understand that splitting up the units of Skullcrushers will mean less favourable targets for buffs but I do think 1 block of 6 is an excellent target still and so are 10 Blood Warriors. Usually lists don't need much more backbone as that due to the drastic ammount of Mortal wounds you can create, both from all the Skullcrusher units and the Slaughterpriests.

Cheers,

Yeah it's a lot of damage, unfortunately I would have to give up Gore Pilgrims for avalanche of Brass and stay within 3" so this begs the question; is D3 Dps at 3" range every turn better than an Aoe buff and fodder to throw in front of the bloodsecrator? Or cut the meaty fodder (blood warriors and Bloodreavers) and splitting the six pack Skullcrushers in favor for  keeping both Battalions with the additional avalanche

Just now, Heroflegend21 said:

Yeah it's a lot of damage, unfortunately I would have to give up Gore Pilgrims for avalanche of Brass and stay within 3" so this begs the question; is D3 Dps at 3" range every turn better than an Aoe buff and fodder to throw in front of the bloodsecrator?

Yeah the awnser to that really depends per match up plus what you want yourself. The prime advantage of your list is that the double Bronzed Flesh mean you have some incredibly tough Mighty Skullcrushers while the alternative offers more Mortal wounds. I believe that if your up versus a typically more elite army the Mortal wounds will do better but if your up against tons of chaff the Bronzed Flesh variant seems like the better choice.

While I have not played Brass Stampede yet a lot of impact obviously dissapears from the Skullcrushers after their first turn. In some cases you can still do enough due to character supports, both from Lord and Priest while in other cases your up against such massive numbers it comes down to a grind.

Long story short is that I don't think any particular choice is way much better. If you like Slaughterpriest models it's enough reason to run Gore Pilgrims. If you don't care as much about them (mainly model wise) there are plentora of other awesome choices for those Hero points too,

35 minutes ago, Heroflegend21 said:

Leaders:

2x  Slaughterpriest

Bloodsecrator

Battleline:

6x Mighty Skullcrushers 

6x Mighty Skullcrushers 

6x Mighty Skullcrushers 

20x Bloodreavers 

10x Bloodwarriors

Battalions:

Brass Stampede

Gore Pilgrims 

I really like this list.  Awesome damage potential on the Brass Stampede.  Easy to concentrate or spread out due to the wide footprint of the Mighty Skullshrushers.   I might try and squeeze another priest in somehow so all three could be buffed because it gong to be obvious to the enemy where the threat is. I might even do it by dropping the Bloodsecrator, the Brass Stampede doesn't need him and the other elements won't be doing that much with or without him. 

To be honest, i have a hard time thinking that a brass stampede wouldn't be better off just going full brass stampede. You can easilly get 2 lords and 35 skullcrushers spread on 7 units so you can guarantee the battallion buffs. With a brass stampede battallion any point you use to grow that batallion, multiplies the point value of the battallion overall. It's not the same to pay 180 points to buff 980 points, than to buff 1820.

Obviously, not playing it because of models/willingless is completely understandable.

8 minutes ago, Keldaur said:

To be honest, i have a hard time thinking that a brass stampede wouldn't be better off just going full brass stampede. You can easilly get 2 lords and 35 skullcrushers spread on 7 units so you can guarantee the battallion buffs. With a brass stampede battallion any point you use to grow that batallion, multiplies the point value of the battallion overall. It's not the same to pay 180 points to buff 980 points, than to buff 1820.

Obviously, not playing it because of models/willingless is completely understandable.

Blood for the blood god! 

Archived