Kimbo

Give me your guidence: Order archery / artillery

14 posts in this topic

Hi all! 

 

Im new to age of sigmar and i got a stormcast army.

 

I want to add some good range units to my force. My question is:

- What is the top range units for order? (It can be archers or artilley from any order subfaction) 

-im looking for competitive like units because i want to join that scene when ive played for awhile! 😊

Keep in mind my main force is stormcast! 

// new and confused player!

Edited by Kimbo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you know what type of Targets you want to go after with your artillary piece?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on your playing style and opponents. I take a combination of Free Guild Crossbowmen, Handgunners, and Archers. Each has a role and benefit. 

My personal favourite is crossbowmen due to the double shot ability if they don't move. Handgunners are great for high armour units. I've found a new appreciation to Archers for mobility and seize objectives early 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of the best order shooting attacks aren't really infantry or artillery, both the Celestial Hurricanum and the Bastiladon have very strong shooting attacks. Just below them I'd place Judicators, Kurnouth Hunters, The Luminark. 

Other shooting options tend to need more thought/buffs/models. But the above work pretty well regardless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

A couple of the best order shooting attacks aren't really infantry or artillery, both the Celestial Hurricanum and the Bastiladon have very strong shooting attacks. Just below them I'd place Judicators, Kurnouth Hunters, The Luminark. 

Exactly.

I avoid ones with Crew as a rule. The Screaming Skull Catapult being an occasional exception.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite is the Knight-Venator paired with the Loremaster.  Cast the Loremasters spell on the Knight-Venator and the knight can re-roll all failed hit and wound rolls.  30" range, 6 missile attacks during shooting phase and turns his one shot star fated arrow into an almost guaranteed hit

Edited by chord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its nice but a lot of points and relies on a casting roll.

Personally Im suprised people knowck crew artillery with range. A lot of armies lack the capability of killing them in shooting. High Elf repeater Bolt Throwers with a Sea Helm and Celestrial Hurricanum is brutaly effecient. 40 inch range, hitting on 3's and wounding on 2's with -1 rend and 12 shots each. 3 Bolt throwers with sea helm is 460 which isnt too costly for 36 shots. Great on the alpha strike and double turn. Just need to bubble wrap them. I also love Kurnoth Hunters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just looking at the topic, there's a lot of math to figure and plenty of room for discussion. I'd write an article if work wasn't so busy.

Personally, I tend to find most Artillery to be too all-or-nothing to not wind up as a disappointment for me. 

30 man ranged units I like though, and yes you have to go to 30 to get extras for units of 20 (at 20 men, most would get an early blast to the face and lose 16% of their effectiveness). Most can get to a 3+/4+ or 4+/3+ with the right help.

With that, Archers basically have a 25% wound rate (They output a number of wounds equal to 25% of the unit size, pre-saves), so what you choose depends on what you're going for. Do you want double attacks (Straight 50% wound rate)? Re-rolls (Other wound rate boosting)? Consistent -1 Rend (mostly gun-totters)? A one time -3 Rend (Glade Guard)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one time rend for glade guard from 11 shots at 20 inch range isnt worthwhile. Admittedly there are 10 models, so on average they will lose their effectiveness in 1 shooting phase from a bravery test (kill 5 or 6, rest go pop) as they have to be fairly close. Artillery dont have that problem and a consistent output of damage from range imo is much more worthwhile. I think people are too shy to play artillery because they feel they need to run into the middle of the board from turn 1 which just isn't the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AlexHarrison said:

Its nice but a lot of points and relies on a casting roll.

Personally Im suprised people knowck crew artillery with range. A lot of armies lack the capability of killing them in shooting. High Elf repeater Bolt Throwers with a Sea Helm and Celestrial Hurricanum is brutaly effecient. 40 inch range, hitting on 3's and wounding on 2's with -1 rend and 12 shots each. 3 Bolt throwers with sea helm is 460 which isnt too costly for 36 shots. Great on the alpha strike and double turn. Just need to bubble wrap them. I also love Kurnoth Hunters

14

You also have The Empire cannon which has a 40" range and can deal up to 12 mortal wounds a turn...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The core of my shooting is Grim Burlokkson with 2 Duardin cannons by a Hurricanum and a Steamtank.

Those cannons will be 3+ re-roll hits/2+ wound/-2 rend/4D6 damage (if all go through) - rerolling the damage if the unit is 10+ models.

The Steamtank has a further cannon which will be 3+/2+/-2/D6 (2+ to hit if the unit is 10+ models)

And then as soon as they get close, the Hurricanum has the potential to do 4D6 Mortal Wounds a turn (including the comet).

To avoid my cannon crews getting turn 1 sniped I park the Steamtank sideways and line the crew up behind it to block line of site. ;-)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MrCharisma said:

You also have The Empire cannon which has a 40" range and can deal up to 12 mortal wounds a turn...

'Mortal wounds?' Surely just regular wounds (unless grapeshotting)?

What puts me off crewed artillery are abilities like the Celestant Primes Cometstrike Sceptre, or the Star drakes rain of stars and so on. Essentially limitless or very portable area effect or ignoring LOS abilities that do multiple mortal wounds. Its not that there's that many of them around, but I hate the thought that when I do get that matchup I'll lose xhundred points of artillery possibly without getting a shot off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, yarrickson said:

'Mortal wounds?' Surely just regular wounds (unless grapeshotting)?

What puts me off crewed artillery are abilities like the Celestant Primes Cometstrike Sceptre, or the Star drakes rain of stars and so on. Essentially limitless or very portable area effect or ignoring LOS abilities that do multiple mortal wounds. Its not that there's that many of them around, but I hate the thought that when I do get that matchup I'll lose xhundred points of artillery possibly without getting a shot off. 

 

Yep... you're right. I probably should have checked the warscroll before I commented. Confusing that with grapeshot... but the Rend -2 is still sexy if you don't grapeshot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/19/2016 at 6:31 PM, AlexHarrison said:

they feel they need to run into the middle of the board from turn 1 which just isn't the case.

Thank you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now