The Sultan's Fleet

11 minutes ago, Melcavuk said:

Take a look through your units written so far before writing it and work out:

whats you theme (Iron jawz are resilient melee, Stormcast are mid weight multipurpose, kharadons are shooty)

what’s the army lacking so far

what do you want out of the boat

how do the boosts interact with other boosts already in the list (e.g. you don’t want 4 units all giving hit buffs, don’t want too many mortal wound sources and so on)

is there a reasonable comparative unit in other units to use as a base

Thanks, scroll and model should be ready tonight or tomorrow.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright now that we have all the units decided, it's time for pitched battle points.

Men O bones- maximum of 20- costs 80 points(battle line)

Drowned- maximum unit of 40- costs 60 points(battle line)

jury riggers- maximum unit of 20- costs 95 points(elite)

Black water Janisaries- maximum unit of 6- cost 110 points (battle line if Fortune Teller or Golden Magus is your general)(elite) 120 points

Ifrit-maximum unit of 6 (battle line if Golden Magus is your general) (elite) 110 points

Flying Sijadas- Maximum unit of 10 (calvary) 125 points

Accursed Navigator- Hero 95 points/110 with Rotting Rowboat

Old Sea Dog- Hero, Priest 100 points

Jann-Hero, 145 points

Sea nymph-Hero 130

Eiraf-Hero Wizard-130 points/150 with Mystic Wagon

Soul Mudafae- Warmachine 200 points

Dead Mans Chest- Warmachine Totem- 190 points

ClockWork ThunderTusk- Warmachine Behemoth 320 points

Spectral Schooner- Warmachine 220 points

Golden Magus Mortarch of Treason- General Behemoth 320 points

Golden Magus Arch Sorcerer of Tzeentch-General Wizard 220 points.

be sure to comment if you think these should be tweaked!

48 minutes ago, Melcavuk said:

How many models are in those points for the units (obviouslly characters are 1 per point listing but for the battleline units especially)

Glad you asked

men o bones min-10

drowned min-20

jury riggers min-10

blackwater janisaries min-3

ifrit min-3

Flying sijadas min-5

Soul mudafae 1 model

clockwork thunder tusk 1 model

deadmans chest 1 model

spectral schooner 1 model

On a cursory glance using what I believe to be the latest scroll edits:

looking through it from what I can see currently:

Men o' Bones (flat worse than Drowned, assuming that bravery modifier is maximum -1 otherwise giving possible -20 bravery to a unit is waaaaaay to op) - 60 for 10 would be passable possible even over costed they like a zombie equivalent but hitting better (single attack, no rend, bravery debuff to nearby enemies, no armour save)

Drowned - atleast 120-140 per 20 and that may be undercosted, they hit aswell as a Namarati Thrall plus another 2 attacks per person, can prevent retreat, bravery 10. At 3 attacks a piece and a high bravery even without a save you end up paying for your damage output. 120 -140 for 20 would be my guess but it may end up working out too cheap

Blackwater Jannsaries - less attacks than ogors but have pistols, improved saves and are wizards, that last part carries a degree of tax with it these days as it means moral wound output. Assuming the weapon damage is increased to the Ogor norm of 2, I'd also switch it to 4+ to hit, 3+ to wound (as opposed to the other way now) purely because ogors hit hard but are less accurate. If a normal ogor is 120 then buffing the save and being a wizard sits you 140-160 per 3

Jury Riggers – Cant see a scroll so no points cost able to check

Ifrit – Again cant see a scroll

Flying sijadas – no scroll

Soul mudafae – no scroll

clockwork thunder tusk  - Is an upgraded thunder tusks, a normal one is 360, so 360-380

deadmans chest 1 model – may have missed this scroll

spectral schooner – it’s a less killy frigate, 220 seems fine

Jann might qualify at 120, he is competent at range and a wizard but not too killy or resilient.

Shantyman and Sea Nymph – 100-120 but playtesting will give more idea here

Golden Magus – is like Arkhan but better in nearly every way (more spells, wounds, better save, can take relics, knows spells of wizards nearby) 360-380 assuming it’s the revised command ability not the original

All just opinions ofcourse, the men-o-bones and drowned divide is mostly because the latter is flat better in nearly every way

All just opinions ofcourse

13 minutes ago, Melcavuk said:

On a cursory glance using what I believe to be the latest scroll edits:

looking through it from what I can see currently:

Men o' Bones (flat worse than Drowned, assuming that bravery modifier is maximum -1 otherwise giving possible -20 bravery to a unit is waaaaaay to op) - 60 for 10 would be passable possible even over costed they like a zombie equivalent but hitting better (single attack, no rend, bravery debuff to nearby enemies, no armour save)

Drowned - atleast 120-140 per 20 and that may be undercosted, they hit aswell as a Namarati Thrall plus another 2 attacks per person, can prevent retreat, bravery 10. At 3 attacks a piece and a high bravery even without a save you end up paying for your damage output. 120 -140 for 20 would be my guess but it may end up working out too cheap

Blackwater Jannsaries - less attacks than ogors but have pistols, improved saves and are wizards, that last part carries a degree of tax with it these days as it means moral wound output. Assuming the weapon damage is increased to the Ogor norm of 2, I'd also switch it to 4+ to hit, 3+ to wound (as opposed to the other way now) purely because ogors hit hard but are less accurate. If a normal ogor is 120 then buffing the save and being a wizard sits you 140-160 per 3

Jury Riggers – Cant see a scroll so no points cost able to check

Ifrit – Again cant see a scroll

Flying sijadas – no scroll

Soul mudafae – no scroll

clockwork thunder tusk  - Is an upgraded thunder tusks, a normal one is 360, so 360-380

deadmans chest 1 model – may have missed this scroll

spectral schooner – it’s a less killy frigate, 220 seems fine

Jann might qualify at 120, he is competent at range and a wizard but not too killy or resilient.

Shantyman and Sea Nymph – 100-120 but playtesting will give more idea here

Golden Magus – is like Arkhan but better in nearly every way (more spells, wounds, better save, can take relics, knows spells of wizards nearby) 360-380 assuming it’s the revised command ability not the original

All just opinions ofcourse, the men-o-bones and drowned divide is mostly because the latter is flat better in nearly every way

All just opinions ofcourse

Ill get to work on the missing scrolls,  Magus is using the Price of Loyalty ability you came up with.

I'm really disappointed with the men o bones scroll, do you have any suggestions on how to improve them?

Im trying to get the units I have the parts for done by about this coming Thursday so that I can play test the scrolls, so their should be edits by then.

What role do you see Men o bones playing that isnt occupied by the drowned, jannisaries or the shooty infantry, whats their niche meant to be? I can try and help round them out once we've narrowed down their function as currently they're a poormans drowned (same attack without rend, no bonus attacks the drowned get) which would be OK if they were massively cheaper but since drowned are your go to horde unit its an awkward niche

3 minutes ago, Melcavuk said:

What role do you see Men o bones playing that isnt occupied by the drowned, jannisaries or the shooty infantry, whats their niche meant to be? I can try and help round them out once we've narrowed down their function as currently they're a poormans drowned (same attack without rend, no bonus attacks the drowned get) which would be OK if they were massively cheaper but since drowned are your go to horde unit its an awkward niche

I had envisioned them to be what the grave guard is to the regular skeletons, stronger, better equipped, but still flexible. Maybe if they had an ability that reduces bravery. I am trying to stay away from banner bearers because pirates are more raiders then an actual army, but perhaps one unit could be a flagbearer, and give an increased to hit roll.

Cheers, i figured they seemed more like a motley crew where you could make cool conversions for each of the higher ranking crew members, and the cowardly killers rules seemed very "cursed soul" literally stronger when they can surround and pick off smaller units rather than bothering with fighting fairly. It also gives you a hard unit to shift off of objectives and a "fast" unit to redeploy through the shadows of your ships to reinforce where neccessary, literally crawling from the dead sea reflections the ships cast onto the ground as though from a realm of their own.

2 minutes ago, Melcavuk said:

Cheers, i figured they seemed more like a motley crew where you could make cool conversions for each of the higher ranking crew members, and the cowardly killers rules seemed very "cursed soul" literally stronger when they can surround and pick off smaller units rather than bothering with fighting fairly. It also gives you a hard unit to shift off of objectives and a "fast" unit to redeploy through the shadows of your ships to reinforce where neccessary, literally crawling from the dead sea reflections the ships cast onto the ground as though from a realm of their own.

This ties in very well with what I have planned for some of the heroes, the plan is to give them their own small boat(rowboat) which grants additional attacks movement and now the Cursed Vessel keyword.

"What secrets do those drowned men keep
'Neath crashing waves in oceans deep

In shadowed lands beyond the veil
with haunted eyes and pallours pale

What secrets do those crooked men
once drowned and yet now walk again

Whisper in the darkened night
lurking near yet out of sight

They guard them close and neath oceans swell
Yet hear them whispered from trough and well..

What secrets do those drowned men keep

What secrets would those dead men tell
If only you were drowned aswell..."

Shyish Poem of  the Drowned Soul (Legend has it a warning of reflections lurking in the still waters of the village)

This now gives you two very different but equally useful Battlelines, the Drowned are the relentless onslaught of horde, slower and less armoured but a tidal wave of restless souls. Your Men O Bones are now the swifter, fewer in number but more elite units, taking objectives early and able to be redeployed to anchor your lines.

1 hour ago, Melcavuk said:

"What secrets do those drowned men keep

In shadowed lands beyond the veil
with haunted eyes and pallours pale

What secrets do those crooked men
once drowned and yet now walk again

Whisper in the darkened night
lurking near yet out of sight

They guard them close and neath oceans swell
Yet hear them whispered from trough and well..

What secrets do those drowned men keep

What secrets would those dead men tell
If only you were drowned aswell..."

Shyish Poem of  the Drowned Soul (Legend has it a warning of reflections lurking in the still waters of the village)

This now gives you two very different but equally useful Battlelines, the Drowned are the relentless onslaught of horde, slower and less armoured but a tidal wave of restless souls. Your Men O Bones are now the swifter, fewer in number but more elite units, taking objectives early and able to be redeployed to anchor your lines.

Thank you so much melcavuk, if you ever need any help at all let me know!

I know that there are still war scrolls missing on the list and im going to work on them throughout the next four days to get them done in this order

Soul Mudafae

Flying Sijadas

Deadmans Chest(warmachine/totem)

Gibbering Cartographer 

Golden Magus Sorcerer Prince of Tzeentch

Dreadship.

Depending on which models are in stock at my nearest store I'll see if I can get the models ready as well. 

Archived