The Sultan's Fleet

Hi everyone,  I recently reread the Dreadfleet Novella set in the Old World, I really enjoyed the twist at the end involving one of the characters, The Golden Magus. Since the book ended on such a cliffhanger and The End Times happened, we sadly did not get to see more of him. So I have decided to create a new battle-tome/faction involving the magus and the forces of the Galleons Graveyard. Im looking for those people who are willing to help with unit ideas, lore, and artwork. well then lets get sailing on the high seas!

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BadgerBuddha said:

It sounds like a blast. What were you thinking of as far as unit types and allegiance?

For units Im thinking along the lines of undead crewmen(men o bones and the Drowned from the book for starters), with magic coming from the Magus and the Djinn he has on the Flaming Scimitar.

Okay, so I have an idea for the Golden Magus.

Because everyone is different and more fantastical in the Mortal Realms, clearly a powerful sorcerer like himself would survive, albeit a bit changed. I'd say using the Changling as a base, with a skeleton horse head coming out of the hood. Remove two of the arms and replace the head of the staff with something else; say a blade from the white scars upgrade set?  Maybe replace the smoke with marauder legs (or some other, longer legs)? Or replace the smoke with a ghost from the spirit host? 

41 minutes ago, BadgerBuddha said:

Okay, so I have an idea for the Golden Magus.

Because everyone is different and more fantastical in the Mortal Realms, clearly a powerful sorcerer like himself would survive, albeit a bit changed. I'd say using the Changling as a base, with a skeleton horse head coming out of the hood. Remove two of the arms and replace the head of the staff with something else; say a blade from the white scars upgrade set?  Maybe replace the smoke with marauder legs (or some other, longer legs)? Or replace the smoke with a ghost from the spirit host? 

I like the idea of the changeling, however instead of a skeleton horse head, I'm going to use green stuff to give him a face, turban, and a larger gut. I am thinking of replacing the staff with The Flaming Scimitar

6 minutes ago, BadgerBuddha said:

Not to double post, but Marauder Legs + Tempestus Scion Torsos + Freeguild Archer arms for crew too.

No problem, in fact if you  have a prototype ready I would love to see it. So far though my ideas for units are

The Golden Magus(wizard legendary lord)

Men O Bones,(Battleline,Skeletons who were buried at sea)

The Drowned(zombies)

wind djinn(odor torso with disc of tzeentch flame underneath)

Ifrit(fire djinn)

Sea nymph(water Djinn)

as well as a few heroes here and there

Not too sure on the convesion possibilities yet, but in AoS I'd picture him as a golden Djinn-like creature who has control over the elements and wind in particular.

This guy comes to mind:

99590211014_KDaai5.jpg

Or maybe better this guy:

99810110003_TheDeceiverNEW01.jpg

The head tentacles could be converted into a turban and the swirling cloth is a good basis for wind gusts.

4 minutes ago, CaptainNippon said:

Not too sure on the convesion possibilities yet, but in AoS I'd picture him as a golden Djinn-like creature who has control over the elements and wind in particular.

This guy comes to mind:

99590211014_KDaai5.jpg

Or maybe better this guy:

99810110003_TheDeceiverNEW01.jpg

The head tentacles could be converted into a turban and the swirling cloth is a good basis for wind gusts.

Not a bad Idea, I would be converting right now if I was not in school and it was not finals week, however the earlier Idea for a changeling conversion has really grown on me. I will use this Idea for one of the royal Djinn though.

12 minutes ago, BadgerBuddha said:

From what I could tell reading up on the character and ship, it seems like there's some mortal crew in there too. Also, the new shipwreck terrain piece feels oddly fortuitous for this project.

Yes, he has harem girls and a few ogres for heavy lifting. The girls I intend to make from modified Daemonettes, the ogres will be from the battling unit modded with greenstuff for more sea faring Arab garb. I agree entirely, I plan to make use of it as a Warmachine/Behemoth

I can try writing up some lore but don't expect it too quickly, as I am also trying to paint umpteen things and work on my book pitch outside of my actual job, but throw some concepts, themes, and ideas at me and I'll whip up a quick couple paragraphs soon.

Also, he has several clockwork thundertusks, apparently. That's probably going to be the easiest to convert with some KO and Necron bitz.

1 minute ago, BadgerBuddha said:

I can try writing up some lore but don't expect it too quickly, as I am also trying to paint umpteen things and work on my book pitch outside of my actual job, but throw some concepts, themes, and ideas at me and I'll whip up a quick couple paragraphs soon.

Also, he has several clockwork thundertusks, apparently. That's probably going to be the easiest to convert with some KO and Necron bitz.

Thank you mr.Buddha, I do recall the thunder tusks and I think the KO idea is great. so far my Idea for the magus is he leaves the Galleons Graveyard, only to wind up in Shyish. When Nagash shows up asking who he is he claims to have been a powerful necromancer from the World That Was( which he picked up in the graveyard) while in truth he is a powerful servant of Tzeentch. He pledges to collect the souls for nags while seeding new arcane cults throughout the realms!

Also congrats on working on a book, what is the premise? 

5 hours ago, BadgerBuddha said:

It sounds like a blast. What were you thinking of as far as unit types and allegiance?

To answer your previous question, you will be able to ally with Nighthaunt, Death, and Deathlords, as well as chaos,Disciples of tzeentch. this is to represent the magus's hidden agenda. if anyone has more ideas for allies please post!

That sounds pretty good, but recent MalPo lore makes it seem like maybe winding up in Shyish might not be great? I feel like a good place for him to end up could also be Ghyran or Ghur. 

The premise is an alternate WWI with magic and spellcasters. Sort of The Battle of Ypres meets Dresden Files with a little Earthsea and a few other inspirations in there.

1 minute ago, BadgerBuddha said:

That sounds pretty good, but recent MalPo lore makes it seem like maybe winding up in Shyish might not be great? I feel like a good place for him to end up could also be Ghyran or Ghur

The premise is an alternate WWI with magic and spellcasters. Sort of The Battle of Ypres meets Dresden Files with a little Earthsea and a few other inspirations in there.

I had originally wanted to launch him out of Ghyran, but after rereading the novella, the Galleons Graveyard is described as an Underworld. and Legions of Nagash makes it clear that all underworlds are in Shyish. the new Idea is that the Graveyard is his personal fiefdom, while he has a base of operations in a free city in Ghyran.

I Love the premise so far! AU's are my favorite settings.

Just now, TheR00zle said:

I had originally wanted to launch him out of Ghyran, but after rereading the novella, the Galleons Graveyard is described as an Underworld. and Legions of Nagash makes it clear that all underworlds are in Shyish. the new Idea is that the Graveyard is his personal fiefdom, while he has a base of operations in a free city in Ghyran.

I Love the premise so far! AU's are my favorite settings.

Actually, that sounds like a good idea. And that could mean he has an outpost in Hammerhall under a different guise, say, maybe a mercenary company which takes any job, from guarding a caravan across the realms to delving deep beneath the streets of the city, under the guise of "providing assistance", they also secret away artifacts and treasures of all kinds. Maybe they could be human look with a glamour over them which only reveals their true undead nature when exposed to magic from Chamon? 

Lets expand it further, The magus has outposts in almost every realm(barring hysh and azyr), gathering artifacts, rare lore and profit! he helps nagash by spreading his soul blight infiltrators and the disciples by passing notes and forbidden spells! he has clockwork automatons that look and act human to avoid detection by magical means except for the keen eyes of guardian and the nose of a gryph hound.

Looks fantastic as a faction, undead with some character and personality along with more questionable motives 

With a quick look over the scroll it oooks very characterful but I’d be concerned he’d need to be massively costly in order to justify damage output and spells.

at two spells and a maximum ranges damage of 20 per turn he’s sitting easily mid 200-300 points to my eye not taking in to account the ability to make a hero a wizard.

on that last note you need to specify how many spells said hero can cast (does it match the Jann.

Archived