Starting a slave to darkness army

Rehoj

Hello,

I've decide to start a chaos army,  I'll love mounted knight , huge warrior, mystic sorcerer but i'm not a huge fan of all that is too demonic like deamons and so on.  What I have in mind for now is : (be aware that I've never play to AoS yet just lurking around, andn kit bashed appeling stuff)

What I have build for now :

10 warriors (halberd, standard)

10 chaos knight (lance, battle standard)

1 sorcerer

1 mounted knight lord

1 gore beast chariot

My next moves :

1 lord on manticor

1 more sorcerer

chaos knight (5?)

warrior (10?)

Chariot ( gorebeast or regularon for speed?)

marauder (20-30-40?)

What do you think of a chaos dragon? I'll surely build on eventualy al least for the fun but if this beast can be a interresting addition to my force I will probably build them sooner.

Any advice?

Thank you

Welcome to Chaos, you have made a wise choice!

All of your next planned moves are good ones.

I would recommend sticking to Gorebeast chariots over normal chariots (bit more points but worth it for the extra damage and a cooler looking model).

You will want a lot of marauders so you have the option of running one big unit (30-40) or several 10-20 man units.

Would also look at Marauder horsemen for some cheap cavalry with some funky rules and a rare (for Chaos) ranged attack.

Warriors are best in units of 20-30 as a roadblock. Units of 5-10 won't do much beyond holding objectives (and 10 marauders can achieve that for 1/3 points!)

Consider the Sorcerer Lord on Manticore instead of or as well as the Lord on Manticore. For only 40 more points your sorcerer gains more wounds and the Manticore's attacks (although an arguably weaker spell).

Chaos Dragons are cool and would make an awesome centre piece for the army. Its not a common monster so couldn't say how great they are in a game sense but I don't think it would let you down too often. If you want a monstrous centre piece then I would also be looking at a Chaos Warshrine. Awesome model with great rules.

Have you thought about which Chaos God your army will align with? Sometimes the benefits received from a certain god mark will influence your army list and what units you choose.

Best of luck!

Some thoughts:

- Lord on demonic mount might offer the best command ability for your collection

- Lord on manticor buffs chaos warriors, but overall it doesn't seem to be the best option. Really cool model though. 

- there is a box containing 2 chariots and 5 knights with some discount. Might be a good buy. 

I have a question about banner  and instrument :
-   It is a good move to incorporated them in each units?

- Does the bearer still fight as a standard dude with the same weapon or is just carrying the banner/instrument and do nothing else?

Thank's

29 minutes ago, Rehoj said:

I have a question about banner  and instrument :
-   It is a good move to incorporated them in each units?

- Does the bearer still fight as a standard dude with the same weapon or is just carrying the banner/instrument and do nothing else?

Thank's

Yes! 

The banner can fight, and you can have more than one in a unit... and its better tactically if you do.  (Will respond to first post in a bit, I have some thoughts)

11 hours ago, Rehoj said:

Hello,

I've decide to start a chaos army,  I'll love mounted knight , huge warrior, mystic sorcerer but i'm not a huge fan of all that is too demonic like deamons and so on.  What I have in mind for now is : (be aware that I've never play to AoS yet just lurking around, andn kit bashed appeling stuff)

1 sorcerer

1 mounted knight lord

1 gore beast chariot

My next moves :

1 lord on manticor

1 more sorcerer

chaos knight (5?)

warrior (10?)

marauder (20-30-40?)

What do you think of a chaos dragon? I'll surely build on eventualy al least for the fun but if this beast can be a interresting addition to my force I will probably build them sooner.

Any advice?

Thank you

Welcome to the Glorious Path! 

These are my thoughts:

Warriors, get to a Block of 30, If staying with Slaves to Darkness building more Knights is good (as they can be battleline). I agree with @Agent of Chaos a Sourcer on Manticore is a good call! I love my block of 40 Marauders they are cheep and hold objectives well, and will be a good 3rd battle line. 

I would also support the adding Marauder horsemen as they add some more speed to the list. 

As for the Chaos Dragon, sadly they took away its keywords so its hard to use in any army thats just not 'Grand Alliance Chaos' But the forgeworld Warpfire Dragon is possible. 

On 11/15/2017 at 5:34 AM, Rehoj said:

Hello,

1 sorcerer

1 mounted knight lord

1 gore beast chariot

My next moves :

1 lord on manticor

1 more sorcerer

chaos knight (5?)

warrior (10?)

marauder (20-30-40?)

Any advice?

Thank you

Hello and welcome to slavehood. 

I have the same reason for keeping my army mostly mortal. Knights and warriors are great, don't be shy in adding some more warriors. 10 knights should be enough. 

Getting a big unit of Marauders can also be very helpful. That way you have to bigger units to contest objectives with. Sorcerers are great! They can potentially buff two different units a turn. 

Personally I will be adding a lord on manticore as well. Not as a general but as a hero/warmachine hunter. The fact that can fly is massive and because he is part of a Slaanesh force I can potentially make him my third general. But haven't played them so it's a bit speculative on my part. 

I think all your choices are great, but play a bit to see where you feel you are lacking and supplement that. At least that works the best for me as soon as you have enough to play a bit. 

Also big thing is the GHB2017 as that gives you the rules to Slaves to Darkness with artefacts, extra command traits and army wide rules for followers of different chaos gods. 

But again definitly go play some games! You have just short of 1K from the top of my head, but that's more than enough to get some feeling for the game and figure out how they play! 

Have fun!

Thank for the advice, 

I'm really looking to try the game in the next few weeks.  I still build, modify and soon I will start the green stuff work as everyman will be converted.  I'm not far from 1k. 

And it's a shame that we can't ally with monster,  Hope they will address this in a faq soon.

14 minutes ago, Swooper said:

Wouldn't matter, Slaves to Darkness can't ally with Monsters of Chaos either, weirdly enough.

Oh good point. 

I thought they had FAQ'd that, but apparently the FAQ was to give the Monsters of Chaos keyword to the Dragon! 

the grand alliance book is a good purchase, as it gives you the rulkes as well as the rukes for any additional units you might want to add on later. 

I find the chaos sorcerer lord invaluable with a large unit of chaos warriors as they work well together. 

17 hours ago, Rehoj said:

Does the Grand Alliance : Chaos is a good purchase or the warscroll have all been updated since the release?  I prefere to buy a book when it worth it than buying the virtual app.

They have not all been updated, only a few have. And for slaves of darkness is still valid. 

Most people value the Axe and Shield better than the Flail and Shield. Technically I think the maths ends up pretty much the same, so I don't think it really matters.

I haven't played my Chaos Undivided under GHB2017 (Well, that's a lie, I did for a multiplayer game). Personally I don't think you can go past Chosen for Slaves to Darkness unless you're building a more themed list (like a Cavalry list).

Chosen are the one true source of Slaves to Darkness synergy, and pump out a lot of attacks.They won't deal as some of the heavier hitting elites out there (like Retributors), but they put out A LOT of attacks, and if you've got Daemonic Power on them that's going to be a lot of armour saves the opponent is going to roll. In addition, they're the only source of Slaves to Darkness exclusive synergy by allowing your other nearby Slaves to Darkness models to re-roll wounds.

Another thing to consider looking into for allies is Varanguard. If you like the look of the old style Warriors of Chaos (I know I do, that's why I did my army), Varanguard are pretty much like the next step for a Chaos Knight. They might be the extra punch you need in the army (Can get up to rend -2 on the charge, or deal mortal wounds on hit rolls of 6+). You can also add in other flavours of Chaos gods, Wrathmongers have potential because they have the ability to deal with big nasty things while potentially buffing other models in your army.

On 11/23/2017 at 11:06 PM, Rehoj said:

Another question about marauder,  I suspect they are there to hold objective so I am wrong to think they are better with shield and axe? 

Depends on how you buff them, In my Blades of Khorne army I run them aggressively, yes they hold objectives but with the right buffs they can hurt units as well.  I prefer the Axe to the Flail, as I can easily get them hitting on 3's re-rolling ones, which makes them a little better than the other options. But it depends on the other units you are running.  

I have start to build Marauder and soon I thnk I will add 5 or 10 or 2x5 chaos marauder horseman,  I was looking in different tread and I saw some of then talking about Sayl the Faithless,  I think my army will be a bit mobile with, knight, horseman and chariot but is adding Sayl the Faithless can be interresting?

Also I dont have my GH17 in hand but I was looking for a Slaneshh marked mortal army  Do you think it can be viable? 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived