Question about Deathrattle, Generic Death

BunkhouseBuster

Greetings!  You may recognize me from perusing the Destruction forum.  But I am now venturing into this forum on behalf of my step-daughter.

My step-daughter, who just turned 9, has shown an interest in miniature wargaming over the past 4 or 5 years now since I began dating her mom.  In that time, I have helped her play various wargames and boards games, and she is definitely keen on the hobby, both painting and playing.  Showing her all of the different options for Age of Sigmar armies, she wants to do a mixed Death army, but starting out with Deathrattle to build up the core of her army before adding in Deathlords next, and the others later down the line.  I don't mind getting her models of her own at all, since I figure I could use a regular opponent at home, and that a Warhammer army would be good incentive to do well on her homework and studies ;)

As such, what would be a good start for her?  She has already said that she wants "a bunch of skeletons to start", and we have started in that direction with 20 Skeletons and a Necromancer so far.  Moving forward, I plan on getting her up to a 40-man block of Skeletons and some Deathlord units in the coming months.

Some specific questions are:

• How are the Mortarchs?  Is it worth getting the Start Collecting box with them in it?
  • How do Grave Guard and Wight Kings fare in a mixed Death army?  My step-daughter likes to look of armored skeletons.
  • Are the Morghast units worth having?  On paper they look pretty good to me.

Any other tips and advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Some of my own personal opinions:

The deathrattle box is a pretty solid box if you aim for generic undead. 

- Neferata is an absolute monster for a general in a generic death army.  Her command ability can really ****** up models that have effects that trigger on a 6.  Arkhan is also worth making, but Nef is probably the slightly more powerful choice now. 
- Mass skellies work in blocks of 4 with spears. Especially when you plan on also running a necromancer along with them. 
-  Sadly, Black Knights are incredibly lack luster atm. Hopefully, they'll get a buff when deathrattle BT drops, because right now, I wouldn't recommend fielding them.  Or you can assemble them as hex wraiths for the future as well. 

All of the above is correct. 

My own 2 cents. The start collecting box is u real how good it is. Great value for money.

mortachs are amazing, make neferata, then if you get a second box, make arkhan.

graveguard are lethal when used correctly, they are a solid choice.

morghasts, yes yes yes yes. They are a destructive unit alone. Can't go wrong with them.

Morghasts are our best can opener barring monsters (only thing other than monsters with rend 2). As above, spear skeletons with a necro will mess up anything with a 4+ or worse save. Havent used grave guard myself since 5 of them cost the same as 10 skeletons and arent as resilient. Rumor is we'll be getting a deathrattle battletome in early 2018 so we should get some fun buffs with that.

I'll add one more thing to my previous comments: 

If you are looking into the mortarchs, Arkhan synergizes  very well with the Morghasts Archai. They provide a bonus to summoning and combined with Arkhan, that gives  you a whopping +4 on summoning rolls. So if you do plan to run a list based on reserve points, going for an Arkhan over Neferata might make slightly more sense. 

I would only recommend getting Morghast Harbingers if y ou plan to actually summon those as well for assassinations. 

18 hours ago, Jamopower said:

One more question from a fellow skeleton lord to be. Is it possible to build the mortarch so that you can switch the rider, or do they share parts?

You can build all three riders from the kit. You can also have all three heads and all three types of chest plate for the mount, but those are more fiddly.

The riders - a tip. Magnets in the seats rather than the actual riders. Makes them much easier to change.

Archived