What to get next for my Khorne Army

XstaSea

Hi guys,

Currently i have the blood bound army that comes in the starter box, a slaughter priest and a blood thirster. I am looking to expand on this to get to 1000-1500 points so i can start taking part at my game stores weekly AoS night. To give you a better idea, i am debating between the Start Collecting Khorne Blood bound box or the Start Collecting Daemons of Khorne box.

I have finally finished painting my 20 blood reavers but i found these an absolute ball ache to paint and really didn't enjoy it, all the other Khorne models i have painted were a delight and i really did enjoy it. I really hope i don't need to buy/paint more reavers i can stomach maybe 10 more but i want to start looking at the cooler models. The daemons, the lord of khorne on juggernaut, blood warriors , skull reapers etc.

Any advice on what i should get next and an idea of a good army list. I only have the Khorne Blood bound battle tome at the minute but i will also be getting the new Blades of Khorne book so i can mix and match.

All help appreciated.

Lord of Khorne on a Juggernaut  is a good choice, he has a good command ability for mortal Khorne. 8 wounds and a 3+ save, he also ignores wounds caused by a spells on a 4+ give him a Brazen Rune and he will also have a 2+ ward vs wounds caused by spells which you can burn off to auto dispel. 

Blood Warriors are great battle line ten work well as you get the Goreglaive. Double hand weapons is probably best option but I seem to roll a lot of 1s........ Until battle shock then it's 6s for all. 

Skull Reapers are great second line troops put them just behind your blood warriors when you blood Warriors die they fight back then the Skull Reapers pile in through the gap and attack. They are best with Demonic weapons and a few buffs to give them plus one to hit. As this boost their mortal wound output. 

Khorgoraths are also worth checking out I usually Run Goretide or Skull take at 2000.

All in all Khorne is really fun to play BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD. 

I am also looking about where to expand my horde, but I like thoe idea of using only mortals. Right now I have the half of the starter (MLoK, bloodsecrator, bloodstoker, 20 bloodreavers, khorgorath and 5 blood warriors). I also managed to get some extra bloodreavers and warriors, but converted them (10 bloodreavers with two handed axes, 10 became marauders with shields, 1 aspiring deathbringer, an exalted one and another bloodstocker).

Right now debating which of gorechosen, start collecting or skirmish box would be the best way to continue.

Thank you in advance and BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!!

Gore Chosen is great value if you want a few more characters, the skirmish is also good for bulking out your troops you can make either 5 Skull Reapers or 5 Wrathmongers which both have their uses. The Exhaulted Death Bringer cool as he's an essential bit of Gore Tide if your going down that root.  He can get an impressive number of attacks + 2 if he's within 12" of the general and another for Secrator. Like to give him mark of the destroyer (probably not the op choice)  as it's 5 x 2 + 3 attack all from one guy and if he fails to kill something he becomes a spawn which is always fun. 

11 minutes ago, Percy Verance said:

Khorgaraths are now a decent option since their rules upgrade.

I love the reapers personally. They have plenty of rules to remember which put me off when I was starting out but worth learning them imo.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Found Skull Reapers a bit hard to use a first but they are definitely worth sticking with can become real killing machines. Especially with a few buffs and a well timed Blood Tithe. 

3 hours ago, XstaSea said:

To give you a better idea, i am debating between the Start Collecting Khorne Blood bound box or the Start Collecting Daemons of Khorne box.

The Khorne Daemon box is a lot less self contained than the Bloodbound box.  What you get in the Bloodbound one just works.  10 Bloodwarriors are solid, a Slaughterpriest is a nice option, and the Skullcrushers are good for either making a Lord on Juggernaut or for starting on your way to a Brass Stampede battalion.

The daemon box has Bloodletters, and these don't truly shine until you're running a unit of at least 20, ideally 30.  Bloodcrushers just aren't that great in AoS currently and the Skullcannon is hard to justify.  Not to say it's bad, it's just not really a solid choice when building the core of your force up.

So my suggestion would be go with the Start Collecting Khorne Bloodbound box as you'll get better use out of its contents if you're just purchasing one box.

If you can afford to buy multiple boxes then picking up 3 Khorne Daemon boxes would work very well for building up a strong force.

What about Valkia? She seems to be a fairly mobile character and hitting hard on the charge with 6/3+/3+/-2/D3 attacks! Her ability to give -1 to wound to enemies attacking her paired with a 3+ save makes her durable in combat, as long as you keep her away from mortal wounds.

Is she a good addition to the army from the starter box or are there other units that are more important to add first?

I've used her a few times key is making sure you pick the correct target. I like using her as an assassin flying in to my opponents line and killing a key character, small unit on an objective or things like Warp lightning Cannons.

She only gets the D3 damage on the charge and can get bogged down in big units. I usually buff her with Blood Stamped +1 to wound and Whipped to fury +3" to charge or run and re roll 1s to wound,  to maximise her effect. She also works well in Gore Tide as she become very mobile. 

Biggest weakness is she only has 5 wounds and can die to shooting or mortal wounds. 

I want to build an army that is like a giant blood soaked blender. Something that just charges through the middle of the battlefield and destroys everything in its path.

i have the skirmish box but what would you say is better for absolute destruction and mayhem; skull reapers or wrath mongers?

Both can work well, Reapers can be real killing machines but the Wrathmongers can be a lot of fun. Put them behind your frontline unit just within 3" troops to give them a buff. If one is killed in the combat phase choose an enemy within 2" and you can attack with it.  It can attack allies or even itself. Doesn't even have to be the that slew it just one within 2". Think Wrathmongers could be good in GHB 2017 Duality of Death has Behemoths scoring and with allies I expect to see a few more big monster about. 

Go for the Bloodbound Start Collecting.  It's a great addition to the starter box.  Bloodwarriors are great.  After that, you might consider the Skirmish box mentioned above.  Although, if you don't like the Reavers, then you might want to pick up another Bloodwarrior box or even a second SC.  At 2000, you will need 3 Battleline.  However, I usually use my Reavers to sit back and capture an objective.

Skullreapers. All the Skullreapers. They are an excellent value for their points, they're really tough, and they dish out a lot of mortal wounds. I'm up to 20 and still thinking about getting more.

What's really key is that you can take a bunch of them in the gorechosen battalion. All the extra movement between the battalion, Bloodstokers, and mighty lord really gives these guys a lot of reach across the table. Plus the gorechosen gives you 2 extra artefacts from battalions. That's really valuable when you have a hero- heavy army like khorne.

If u want a solid battleline you can play 2x10 bloodwarriors and 10 reavers, use reavers in a line to protect your heros from charge and warriors can kill everything  when buffed, you can check battalion for them, there are very intersting battalions with bloodwarriors :)

13 hours ago, Paul Conti said:

What's really key is that you can take a bunch of them in the gorechosen battalion. All the extra movement between the battalion, Bloodstokers, and mighty lord really gives these guys a lot of reach across the table. Plus the gorechosen gives you 2 extra artefacts from battalions. That's really valuable when you have a hero- heavy army like khorne.

Am I missing something?  Gorechosen battalion is all heroes, no?  How are you taking Skullreapers?

FMB

5 minutes ago, Jharen said:

He means The Gore Tide battalion.

So, I'm not going crazy, then.  Thanks.

Just as an aside, while I'm sure I'm not the first to notice this, is anyone else excited by the Bloodbound warband?  +1 attack from the Bloodsecrator, +1 attack on the charge, + 1 attack from Blood Tithe triggering the Aspiring Deathbringers command ability = +3 attacks to units within 6" of the AD (+4 if they're Bloodreavers).  There's got to be more options for stacking attacks, but frankly that just that gives me giggles.

FMb

1 hour ago, Fireymonkeyboy said:

Just as an aside, while I'm sure I'm not the first to notice this, is anyone else excited by the Bloodbound warband?  +1 attack from the Bloodsecrator, +1 attack on the charge, + 1 attack from Blood Tithe triggering the Aspiring Deathbringers command ability = +3 attacks to units within 6" of the AD (+4 if they're Bloodreavers).  There's got to be more options for stacking attacks, but frankly that just that gives me giggles.

I'm not sold on the Bloodbound Warband at 120 points.  What you're getting there for 120 points is exactly what another Bloodsecrator gives you except that you now have conditionals for the bonuses to apply.  Sure, by not gaining those bonuses from a secrator you don't risk losing them at the loss of a single model, but it's still very situational in my opinion.  Further, I find the Aspiring Deathbringer lackluster.  He's a very soft target easily removed by your opponent sneezing in his direction with any small amount of ranged damage or mortal wounds.

I'm sure you can make the battalion work for you as it IS giving you all good things, it just isn't giving them to you them in the most optimal of ways given our other options.

1 hour ago, Jharen said:

I'm not sold on the Bloodbound Warband at 120 points.  What you're getting there for 120 points is exactly what another Bloodsecrator gives you except that you now have conditionals for the bonuses to apply.  

Wait, wait - Bloodsecrators stack?!?

Kidding!  I'm kidding, jeez . . . . 

I do take your point, but part of this for me is the bonus on the charge.  BS also has conditions - notably that it has to be alive and on the table.  Bloodbound is that I need to charge - which may be part of the appeal.  I usually run KLoJ as my general, and until they were cast into the abyss, was primarily a Bret player.  I habitually play with an eye to get the charge off.  The idea that I get an innate +1 attack when I do just strikes me as pure gravy.

The main limitation I see is that the bonus only applies to the units in the battalion.  120 points actually opens up a fair number of options in a list.  For now, it's an excuse to paint up and convert an AD, and get my Skulltakers painted up.

FMB

I don't think anyone's mentioned Skullreapers yet...  ;-)

They are easily my favourite unit. Nasty nasty guys, and really good value.

For aesthetic reasons only, you will need to use 'monger heads and the non-cartoony weapon option. I will be watching closely.

Archived