Simple/Fast-playing Factions/Lists?

Does anyone have tips for fast-playing (simple) factions or lists, say at 2,000 points?

Our group is having a hard time finishing games in under four hours, even playing with 1500 points.  We're experienced gamers but newly back to warhammer after a long time.  We tried low model and unit count, but not sure it helps much.

Minimizing synergies is probably a good way to go.  Any broad suggestions for factions or list types with minimal synergies?

Thanks!

I'm really new to the game and I haven't experienced anything like 4 hours at 1500 points unless the players were doing lots of pausing to talk, watching videoes on phones/tablets, doing social media stuff and anything else other than playing the game.

I'm not convinced that adding 500 more points but with models you are not familiar with will speed things up.  Even if they are ostensibly "faster" lists.

Everyone should make a list of all their model abilities in each phase to have as a handy reference.  Hero Phase:  This prayer, that spell, this leadership ability, this healing, etc.,. Movement: This unit gets extra move if it runs.  That unit will get a bonus in combat later if it stays within 9" of this other thing.  You get the idea.

Go down in points, not up.  500 or a 1000.  Maybe with a timer.  Say 45 minutes per 500 points?  If people get distracted and do stuff other than playing, point it out.  

1 hour ago, Nin Win said:

Everyone should make a list of all their model abilities in each phase to have as a handy reference.  Hero Phase:  This prayer, that spell, this leadership ability, this healing, etc.,. Movement: This unit gets extra move if it runs.  That unit will get a bonus in combat later if it stays within 9" of this other thing.  You get the idea.

Great idea!  It would be great if army list builders (Azyr maybe) could do this.

On 5/5/2017 at 5:12 AM, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

Check my blog post for some tips:

are you playing matched play games of max five turns? Open play tends to take longer I find. 

Thanks for the link to this post!  It's got a lot really helpful tips.

I think our slowness is due to several factors - only playing twice a month, often with a couple of completely new players and in a 2 on 2 or 3 on 3 game (so lots of helping and coordinating), a bit of analysis paralysis, and a lot of beer.

i think making tip sheets with rules summaries by phase could help a lot, just a bit of work to put them together.

24 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

Playing 1 on 1 is loads quicker.

I second this. Multiplayer games take ages because of how the combat phase works, every player gets a go at the end of every players turn which tends to drag it out a little, so make sure the team is taking there turn together to minimise the combat phase.

If you are playing 2v2, try restricting your army sizes to 1000 per player, that will mean you finishing it in a decent time frame (even if you are drinking beer :D)

Try not to play 1v1v1v1 (especially above 1000pts each) you will end up wanting to take your own life.

As for armies with little to no synergies, the only army that comes to mind in this instance is Beastclaw Raiders, and they have the bonus of low model count too.

1 hour ago, Nubgan said:

I second this. Multiplayer games take ages because of how the combat phase works, every player gets a go at the end of every players turn which tends to drag it out a little, so make sure the team is taking there turn together to minimise the combat phase.

If you are playing 2v2, try restricting your army sizes to 1000 per player, that will mean you finishing it in a decent time frame (even if you are drinking beer :D)

Try not to play 1v1v1v1 (especially above 1000pts each) you will end up wanting to take your own life.

As for armies with little to no synergies, the only army that comes to mind in this instance is Beastclaw Raiders, and they have the bonus of low model count too.

We did a 4 player 1v1v1v1 at warhammer world  and although it was great fun, there were large parts of the game where each player was not involved and it lasted all day. 

The second day at warhammer world we each had three 1 v 1 games in the same space of time!

Here's a pic from that day of my knight venator lining up to shoot a cheeky mangler squig.

20170311_170143.jpg

Archived