Let's chat : Maggotkin of Nurgle

Arkiham

13 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

It depends on how the requirement is font-ed. If it says a Great Unclean One is required, then any model with a GUO keyword is fine but its its BOLD, than the warscroll "Great Unclean One" is required and couldnt be an EGUO. The old Tallyband required a GREAT UNCLEAN ONE"  dont know if that has changed with the new book.

Does a GUO/EGUO plague wind spell count for himself?

Isn’t that exactly the wrong way around? Keywords are bolded, so the old Tallyband required a “Great Unclean One”, but the new one requires a GREAT UNCLEAN ONE. So the old one had to be the exact warscroll, while the new one is any unit with those exact keywords.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi! In Thinking on How to Get The Most of BoP  + Lord of blights command ability and I found That plague monks seem 3 times More efective for Dealing MW.

What do You think guys?

One Doubt a normal Melee Weapon with One Inch reach Can Be used in The second Rank or not?

2 hours ago, Vomikron Noxis said:

Isn’t that exactly the wrong way around? Keywords are bolded, so the old Tallyband required a “Great Unclean One”, but the new one requires a GREAT UNCLEAN ONE. So the old one had to be the exact warscroll, while the new one is any unit with those exact keywords.

You are exactly right! I went to the faqs to be sure. Looks I got it backwards!!! 

83E71752-843B-4CA2-A0CA-953B436CE45E.png

52 minutes ago, peasant said:

Hi! In Thinking on How to Get The Most of BoP  + Lord of blights command ability and I found That plague monks seem 3 times More efective for Dealing MW.

What do You think guys?

One Doubt a normal Melee Weapon with One Inch reach Can Be used in The second Rank or not?

If the base is 25mm..that is .9 inches in diameter. So if the “ranks” are exactly made to base they are mathematically in range. Plague monks are amazing recipients of BoP. Just have the problem of how to get them into combat before they die/flee! Also keep in mind they are not battleline for Nurgle armies.

14 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

If the base is 25mm..that is .9 inches in diameter. So if the “ranks” are exactly made to base they are mathematically in range. Plague monks are amazing recipients of BoP. Just have the problem of how to get them into combat before they die/flee! Also keep in mind they are not battleline for Nurgle armies.

Thx 0,9 inches. I think of using Lord of blights command to Give them -2/-1 to hit Protection, so Only Magic could Stop them

Oh, quick update on the GUO project - i'm calling the big guy done, and thought i'd share a few pics on how he turned out. Pretty pleased with the results overall, especially his face :) Didn't go too crazy on the base,  as i wanted something that's fairly straightforward to replicate, but also quite liked the idea of barren ground being 'nourished' by the presence of nurgle. Probably doesn't show but the damp spots on his base have a mix of water effect and some scatter material in there to show 'growth' in the sludge it leaves behind. 

Was also my first time using GW's oxide effect paint, and overall i quite liked it - goes on well, and has a nice effect on the brass. 

IMG_20180409_213406.jpg

IMG_20180409_213452.jpg

IMG_20180409_213504.jpg

It's pretty good stuff - a bit thicker than a wash, but a lot thinner than say a GW layer paint. Having a bit of tissue paper to hand to dab off any excess is handy, but otherwise you just gently blob it around where you want it showing. I've found avoiding going too crazy with it is advisable though. There's a few videos on using it on youtube, which were useful to get an idea on using it effectively.

Talking of lists, i was considering something like this: 

HEROES:
GUO w. witherstave (General) (Bell and plague flail)
Rotigus
Mortal Nurgle Sorceror

UNITS: 
30x Plaguebearers
30x Plaguebearers
6x Plague Drones
10x Marauders of Nurgle
3x Nurglings

The plaguebearers are there unsurprisingly as giant meatshields that are going to be exceedingly difficult to slog through, so would be ideal for holding objectives. The General is there mainly as a support piece, both helping protect the plaguebearers from exploding and mortal wound 6s to hit, as well as giving them a speed boost up the table. Rotigus and the mortal sorceror (and the cycle of corruption) would be tasked with character sniping (especially support characters), as both have spells ideal for this purpose. The plague drones are there as a hammer unit, as they can have massive output if they're close enough to a nurgle character, and still have good durability. Nurglings and marauders are there for further out objectives and screening. More marauders or even horsemen might make more sense over the nurglings to a degree, although they are pretty resilient to anything but a really determined attack given they auto-regen lost wounds on a base. 

Predominately the thinking behind the list is to focus on objective play, with  the intent to cripple an opponents unit buffing and therefore allow the plaguebearers to hopefully hold the centre without folding, and the drones being held back to throw into any threats as needed, but otherwise being fairly expendable. 

Any thoughts?

53 minutes ago, Amenhotep said:

HEROES:
Rotigus
Mortal Nurgle Sorceror

UNITS: 
30x Plaguebearers
30x Plaguebearers
6x Plague Drones
10x Marauders of Nurgle
3x Nurglings

The plaguebearers are there unsurprisingly as giant meatshields that are going to be exceedingly difficult to slog through, so would be ideal for holding objectives. The General is there mainly as a support piece, both helping protect the plaguebearers from exploding and mortal wound 6s to hit, as well as giving them a speed boost up the table. Rotigus and the mortal sorceror (and the cycle of corruption) would be tasked with character sniping (especially support characters), as both have spells ideal for this purpose. The plague drones are there as a hammer unit, as they can have massive output if they're close enough to a nurgle character, and still have good durability. Nurglings and marauders are there for further out objectives and screening. More marauders or even horsemen might make more sense over the nurglings to a degree, although they are pretty resilient to anything but a really determined attack given they auto-regen lost wounds on a base. 

Predominately the thinking behind the list is to focus on objective play, with  the intent to cripple an opponents unit buffing and therefore allow the plaguebearers to hopefully hold the centre without folding, and the drones being held back to throw into any threats as needed, but otherwise being fairly expendable. 

Any thoughts?

I find That Style of Play Very interesting, I usually think in Terms of Killing Everything but maybe is Best to Take The objectives approach, perhaps Goin' even More def. With lord of blights or tallyband battallion

I think a balanced approach is needed - having offensive potential is important so you can counter an opponents moves, but if you're using matched play and are scoring on objectives then you have to keep your eye on the prize, for which arguably a combination of mobility and resilience are key. It's one thing i like about objective based play in that you can be pretty much tabled but still win due to having better objective control. 

43 minutes ago, Amenhotep said:

I think a balanced approach is needed - having offensive potential is important so you can counter an opponents moves, but if you're using matched play and are scoring on objectives then you have to keep your eye on the prize, for which arguably a combination of mobility and resilience are key. It's one thing i like about objective based play in that you can be pretty much tabled but still win due to having better objective control. 

Yup, that's what happened in my last game v. Tzeentch.... He had brought a LoC AND Gaunt Summoner to a 1k match. I was able to withstand the storm of mortal wounds long enough to rack up enough objective points to win the game, even though the only guy left on the table for me was my GUO. [on objective still!]:DThanks endless gift.

3 hours ago, Amenhotep said:

HEROES:
Rotigus
Mortal Nurgle Sorceror

UNITS: 
30x Plaguebearers
30x Plaguebearers
6x Plague Drones
10x Marauders of Nurgle
3x Nurglings

Any thoughts?

I love the list! What command trait are you going to go with? I will say that while the witherstave is a great artifact.. the endless gift is simply just so much better on a high wound count model. You will get much more use out of it than the witherstave. Your blocks of plaguebois already have -1 to hit in combat so special abilities that trigger on the 6 hit roll wont work. And you will find that it isnt crazy useful when you have a unit/character hitting on 3's.. most of the time they just re roll and get another hit. but being able to essentially heal back half the damage you took that round every round.. is just too good. Consider it. 

1 hour ago, Amenhotep said:

Couldnt have said it any better. That drone bomb with blades (I presume blades of putrefaction is on the Rotbringer sorcerer) will add "offensive potential" to say the least!

51 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

I love the list! What command trait are you going to go with? I will say that while the witherstave is a great artifact.. the endless gift is simply just so much better on a high wound count model. You will get much more use out of it than the witherstave. Your blocks of plaguebois already have -1 to hit in combat so special abilities that trigger on the 6 hit roll wont work. And you will find that it isnt crazy useful when you have a unit/character hitting on 3's.. most of the time they just re roll and get another hit. but being able to essentially heal back half the damage you took that round every round.. is just too good. Consider it. 

Couldnt have said it any better. That drone bomb with blades (I presume blades of putrefaction is on the Rotbringer sorcerer) will add "offensive potential" to say the least!

Ah, interesting point on the witherstave, you're probably right about the Endless Gift probably being more effective at that point. I've not settled on a specific command trait as yet, i'll have to think about it, but probably Grandfather's gift (i think that's the right name for it) i'd imagine. 

Today I had to Wait 1 Hour for My girlfriend and Thought About a minimal Horticulous battallion

Nurgles menagerie (240)

1 Horticulous (220)

3 Beast of nurgle (300)

2x10 Plague bearers (240)

1k Points

Not Competitive but maybe is Fun to play

Anyone on this particular posting going to be in Milwaukee April 28-29th? The Brew City Brawl. 

I know that this is probably the wrong place to post this, but I know some of you were at Adepticon and we're only 90 miles north. Just wondering who might show up.

17 hours ago, peasant said:

Today I had to Wait 1 Hour for My girlfriend and Thought About a minimal Horticulous battallion

Nurgles menagerie (240)

1 Horticulous (220)

3 Beast of nurgle (300)

2x10 Plague bearers (240)

1k Points

Not Competitive but maybe is Fun to play

I think the batallion cost is a bit prohibitive at 1k, as you're losing a quarter of your army to it! Nothing necessarily wrong with it for a friendly knockabout, although it does lack a huge amount of synergy, but personally i'd probably drop the batallion and take another unit of plague bearers and another beast. 20 more plaguebearers is probably more efficient, but if you're looking at something like this list you're in it for the beasts right?

14 hours ago, Tasman said:

Anyone on this particular posting going to be in Milwaukee April 28-29th? The Brew City Brawl. 

I know that this is probably the wrong place to post this, but I know some of you were at Adepticon and we're only 90 miles north. Just wondering who might show up.

Sounds fun! Wish I could make it but I road tripped it from DC to Chicago. Patiently waiting for NOVA (which is 5 mins from my house) and that's going to be that last my warhammer "spousal capital" withdrawal I have for the year :D (my wife wont let me go to any more tournaments)

7 minutes ago, grungolah said:

I hope Slaanesh doesn't mind,  his champion just switched to Nurgle. 

(back in the day,  I chose Slaanesh primarily because of this model.  My tastes haven't changed much.  New paint job for a new god. ) 

IMAG0496.jpg

That is One of The Most Clever Things ive seen Today!

Why dont We do a nurglify Competition? It Can Be About nurglifying miniatures That are Not The usually converteds,...

So I just ran across a nighthaunt player. I couldn’t touch him. His list as follows:

Arkhan the black

2x mornguls

2x carion wraiths

Knight is shrouds

3x 6 spirits

Mornguls slaughtered me and their -1 to hit bubble made my Blight kings useless. Arkhan unbound anything important I had and curse of years wiped my 6 drone unit. The spirits threw mortals like candy, too many for my nurgle save to stop. I couldn’t ge anything through his 4+, 6+ with -1 hit to most my army, his Morngul placement made a 27 inch across bubble of -1 to hit. 

How can I deal with this? Rend is non existent. My spells get unbound (Blades is useless with -1 hit anyway) I just can’t see how to damage him enough to get anywhere.

8 hours ago, peasant said:

That is One of The Most Clever Things ive seen Today!

Why dont We do a nurglify Competition? It Can Be About nurglifying miniatures That are Not The usually converteds,...

I'm all for it, but I wonder how many posters are actively painting Nurgle right now.

4 hours ago, Soldier of decay said:

So I just ran across a nighthaunt player. I couldn’t touch him. His list as follows:

Arkhan the black

2x mornguls

2x carion wraiths

Knight is shrouds

3x 6 spirits

Mornguls slaughtered me and their -1 to hit bubble made my Blight kings useless. Arkhan unbound anything important I had and curse of years wiped my 6 drone unit. The spirits threw mortals like candy, too many for my nurgle save to stop. I couldn’t ge anything through his 4+, 6+ with -1 hit to most my army, his Morngul placement made a 27 inch across bubble of -1 to hit. 

How can I deal with this? Rend is non existent. My spells get unbound (Blades is useless with -1 hit anyway) I just can’t see how to damage him enough to get anywhere.

It does rather depend on the kind of build you've gone for. It's worth noting though that Arkhan can only attempt to dispel twice per turn, so on magic it's a question of how much you're bringing and how good both of your dice are - neither casting or disbinding are a guarantee afterall. Given his casting capability is based on his wound count though, trying to throw some mortal wounds his way early on may help, as are spells like plague squall, which you can cast out of range of dispelling (same with Rotigus' spell for that matter). He'd have had to roll really well to wipe stuff with curse of years though, especially if you have a low model count army.

Plaguebearers may be more effective into this matchup, as at least their own -1 to hit (for a decent sized unit) stops them getting their own exploding 6s. Killing mornghuls is difficult though given their pretty solid stats and regen, ideally you'd probably want to soften it up with mortal wounds from spells (if you can get them off) and the cycle of corruption, and focus one till it's dead. Something like a GuO with balesword and plagueflail might be able to do the business, especially if it's been whittled down a bit first. Alternately focus on objectives and use your potential for a much larger model count. 

If you're running a rotbringer focussed army rather than deamon (or mixed) on the other hand, this may just be a really rough matchup for what you're using given the trick of their army is kind of a blend of both a plaguebearer and blightking list all rolled into one. Oh, witherstaff may help a bit, as at least it should help mitigate their own 6s to hit if you're not wanting to bring out fat units of plaguebearers. 

Finally, it's worth noting that the Mournghul -1 to hit is only 6" from the model, and your model has to be within the 6", so with some careful play you may be able to stay out of range. If you have some tarpits for the mornghuls you can also then look to get drones around and into the squishier stuff in his back line - Arkhan's not awful in combat, but degrades pretty quickly if you can lay the hurt down on him.

Hi, I come to another list to try to beat my enemies, mainly Seraphon (Bastiladon & Slann eternal party) and Disciples of Tzeentch, 1k points:

Lord of Blights

-General, avalanche of rotten flesh.

Sorcerer

-Muttergrub, spell:Balewind vortex, blades of putrefaction, foul regenesis

Festus

-spell: plague squall 

30 Plaguebearers

30 Chaos marauders of Nurgle

The plan is in T1  make the sorcerer climb to the balewind vortex and cast foul regenesis and blades every turn, at ground level lord of blights gives command to the CM to make them -2/-1 to hit, festus gives support and healing to LoB and a little magic to weak heavy armoured enemies or snipe characters.

What do you think rotten fellas?

Archived