Models from compendium

Kurrilino

Question

Hey guys i am looking since a long time.

Where could i find an official statement using old warscroll mixed with new warscrolls.

I.E. we had a long debate here if you could use Galrauch with the Diciples of Tzeench ?

Any of you guys this would be legal or not ?

12 answers to this question

Hey guys i am looking since a long time.
Where could i find an official statement using old warscroll mixed with new warscrolls.
I.E. we had a long debate here if you could use Galrauch with the Diciples of Tzeench ?
Any of you guys this would be legal or not ?

He's got the daemon and tzeentch keywords. He can be played with that portion and related battalions of the book with out issue.sme thing with the mutalith, that's why they gave it the Tzeentch keyword.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's not so much the Keyword of Galrauch......

it's the debate of using compendium warscrolls with the new books.

Is there any official statement or mentioning somewhere?

Some people here think it's cherry picking to mix old and new warscrolls.

I would say use it!  Doubly so if you have the model!

I am looking through some of the old Warscrolls myself to come up with some cool ideas for armies that fit my personal fluff now, for all my armies.  The biggest thing I miss is having Heroes who are also Banner-bearers, which basically doesn't occur anymore aside from the legacy plastic kits that are still around (Greenskin Warboss, Free Guild General, for example).

I would make sure to ask if it is okay for pickup games.  I'm not sure that the powers of the legacy Warscrolls are broken, but it can't be too bad.

3 hours ago, Sleboda said:

Can you elaborate? What is the source of the debate?

The source is that we plan to organize a pure AOS tournament without any house rules.

So we try to prepare for any discussions that could uprise.

One of the bigger concerns is mixing compendium with new books vs are you forced to play the newest warscroll

even if you try to play compendium.

But why is the fact that the rules come from one official sheet of paper compared to another an issue?

Why is "compendium" any different than "Ironjaws" for example?

I just don't see what is drawing a distinction.

Using compendium warscrolls is really something you and your group simply have to decide on for yourselves, but seeing as you asked if there was any 'official' response to this problem:

It is located in the original AoS FAQ on page 6.

Q: Will warscrolls for models that are being discontinued be maintained?

A: Yes. You can find these by clicking on ‘Warhammer Age of Sigmar rules’ in the Here to Help menu on games-workshop.com.

Q: If I have two different warscrolls for the same unit, can I choose which to use, or must I use the most recently published version?

A: You can choose which warscroll to use, but it may be more convenient for your opponent if you use the most recently published version, especially if the earlier version is no longer readily available.

8 hours ago, Kurrilino said:

The source is that we plan to organize a pure AOS tournament without any house rules.

In which case then they are valid. There are no AOS rules that say you can't use compendium units in matched play, that would be a house rule. They are allowed in most tournaments, and don't cause particular problems.

Yep, there is absolutely no reason why compendium warscrolls should not be treated any differently to non-compendium warscrolls. Nevertheless the 'community' has decided that compendium warscrolls are controversial. Some very vocal players dislike compendium warscrolls for a variety of reasons - some reasons that they argue logically but which are nevertheless still just opinions, and some reasons that are pure vindictive nonsense. If people in your group say that compendium shouldn't be used, they are voicing an opinion. The 'official ruling' is that anything goes.

Also, when it comes to warscrolls no source is more valid or more 'official' than another. Just because you find certain warscrolls collected together in a shiny hardback book that doesn't in any way imply that you shouldn't be mixing in other warscrolls from the AoS app.

10 hours ago, Kurrilino said:

One of the bigger concerns is mixing compendium with new books vs are you forced to play the newest warscroll

even if you try to play compendium.

As a word of advice, use your own House-rules. Create them!
It doesn't only prevent confusion it gives a very clear indication of what the norm will be for your event.

One of the resent great House-rules you could build up from is SCGT's or Adepticon's. It basically covers if you like the idea of stacking same name abilities, how to treat Prayers and other Spell-like abilities (that arn't spells), covers base to base meassurements and generally speaking improves the game for a competative setting.

The thing with Age of Sigmar is that it isn't totally designed for competative play alone. Because of that you'll do your event a favour if you clearly state what is possible and what isn't.  - I'd personally say that the most recent Warscroll are the applied rules for any model (for example, the Chaos Spawn is now most certainly Tzeentch) but older not updated Warscrolls are still available to use. What this allows is for is less rules confusion by applying "logical" restrictions. It also means that if you have the updated App Warscroll at hand both players are looking at the same sets of rules, instead of printing something from a former book with a different wording.

As an example, using the older Warscroll for one Mighty Lord of Khorne will be 'better' if it's also your general. But if a second Mighty Lord of Khorne would then use the new Warscroll in the same army things get very confusing!

Archived