DoT List Feedback | 2000 Points

Gauche

Hello, I'm strongly considering branching out into Chaos Demons with the revamped 40k right around the corner. I've been wanting a bit softer while still not a pushover list for quite awhile but don't want to expand my existing Destruction, luckily a new game coming out gives me the perfect excuse! Right now I'm starting with Tzeentch/Khorne since they have more recent books but I'm sure I'll dip into all four eventually. Here's what I have for DoT so far:

Gaunt Summoner w/ Windthief Charm

The Changeling

Lord of Change w/ Aura of Mutability

Lord of Change (General w/ Magical Supremacy & Wellspring of Arcane Might )

Herald of Tzeentch

The Blue Scribes

10 Pink Horrors

10 Pink Horrors

10 Pink Horrors

10 Blue Horrors

10 Blue Horrors

10 Blue Horrors

10 Brimstone Horrors

1 Changehost

1 The Host Duplicitous

1800/2000 (Summoning Pool is for 20 more Blues and Brimstones)

I built this list because I really like both the Changehost and THD Battalions, so a lot of choices are made for me from the outset. I would like to remain within these Battalions as I think they're fun to play with and against without being particularly oppressive.

This list is as big of a toolbox as I can make. Of course I have the Mortal Wound output that DoT are known for but I also have anti-Hordes with the Windthief Charm and Gaunt Summon combo. The army can also play a lot of control between The Changeling and Scintillating Simulacra. It's also very possible for this army to break opposing synergies by swapping something like a Herald in and using Destiny Dice to snipe a Hero as well as my Unbinding game with the LoC.

I took Aura on the non-General LoC because it's the more valuable ability with 1's already counting as 2's due to my Battalion. I also deploy a few more units because whatever I leave swapped in is toast and I want to keep those double swaps as long as I can. Turn 1 the Brims are the likely sacrifice, Turn 2 the goal is to get The Changeling back in there. Having the entire army drop as one deployment is very valuable since I will almost always want to go second and get my spells in range, this army getting a double turn is also very mean.

While I certainly don't think this list is top tier it has game even into the popular lists with probably an exception for Skyfire spam. It's pretty good in most Scenarios with a respectable model count and a lot of Heroes as well as the ability to swap things around. I also haven't decided on who gets what spells as that's a ton to look at, although the Gaunt Summoner almost certainly takes Treacherous Bond.

Any feedback? :]

Blue Scribes are a good addition, I didn't know they were the same price. Also gives me a Disc Herald for 40K. :P

How did you take out a Herald when having three is required for the Battalion? Unless you didn't use it of course.

The list looks very solid to me, the only change you could apply is those mentioned by @Kuma. Set up and numbers seem very sufficient with a good Summon pool to work from. In addition the force seems pretty fun to do from a hobby perspective also.

Looking forward to your results.

I have been thinking of running a very similar list but I would remove a unit of pinks and blues for 10 tzaangors.

While this means they stay with the same 20 wounds for roughly the same points. The Tzaangors are a bit more survivable overall thanks to shield a 5+ on all 20 wounds, and they hold their ground way better in mele.

You already have tons of magic and shooting to actually cast most of the spells you might need, so losing those 2 horror units will not make much of a difference. 

Also think of using 100 of those summoning pool sometimes to get a valewind vortex. This way your gaunt summoner will be more protected, especially vs mele and can start being significant sooner without getting into trouble.

I'm a little confused on the Windthief charm choice on the summoner? He isn't really someone that is going to need a burst of movement as he tends to like to hide behind the battle line and toss fire until he get sniped. Personally, I'm more keen on a souldraught in his pocket as it allows him to have an almost guaranteed pair of casts for one turn.

Also have you considered Blue Scribes? Your army is very magic heavy and their re-roll bubble would vastly increase the reliability of the army's casting. It would also allow you to drop the wellspring of arcane might and pick up a pyrofyre stave for your LoC for increased shooting performance. 

The other minor thing I find is that, even though Magical Supremacy sounds pretty awesome, beyond turn 1 it just doesn't do much. Given the volume of wizards in an army like this you almost always have something in range to unbind. Personally, I have come to quite like Incorporeal Form as I find my opponents almost always want to send some sort of big scary monster right at my LoC so the -1 to hit means he can often survive long enough to roast whatever decided to charge at him with magic. (Also since you are rocking the changeling you are going to have a wizard in range even on turn 1 to unbind if there is something really dangerous you need to try to stop)

Id be curious, wouldn't the LOC having the -1 to hit make him easyir to hit for units that are under the battalion debuff? I tanked a stonehorn the other day because he his 2+ made him a perfect unit to cast on. Would the -1 to hit be option, at the choice of the tzeentch player or would it actually make you less tanky against elite units under the effect of the spell.

This list certainly does seem like a fun list to play, and im considering playing it over my archanite list and giving skyfires a break. Plus with all those troops certainly seems like claiming objectives would never be a problem.

Keen to hear if anyone else has used a similar list and how competitive it is.

On 5/1/2017 at 10:52 AM, themortalgod said:

I'm a little confused on the Windthief charm choice on the summoner? He isn't really someone that is going to need a burst of movement as he tends to like to hide behind the battle line and toss fire until he get sniped. Personally, I'm more keen on a souldraught in his pocket as it allows him to have an almost guaranteed pair of casts for one turn.

Also have you considered Blue Scribes? Your army is very magic heavy and their re-roll bubble would vastly increase the reliability of the army's casting. It would also allow you to drop the wellspring of arcane might and pick up a pyrofyre stave for your LoC for increased shooting performance. 

The other minor thing I find is that, even though Magical Supremacy sounds pretty awesome, beyond turn 1 it just doesn't do much. Given the volume of wizards in an army like this you almost always have something in range to unbind. Personally, I have come to quite like Incorporeal Form as I find my opponents almost always want to send some sort of big scary monster right at my LoC so the -1 to hit means he can often survive long enough to roast whatever decided to charge at him with magic. (Also since you are rocking the changeling you are going to have a wizard in range even on turn 1 to unbind if there is something really dangerous you need to try to stop)

Windthief is for dealing with Kunnin' Rukk, I have no fear the Gaunts ability to get spells off with the list as is.

Blue Scribes are already a confirmed addition.

I think Magical Supremacy is valuable because Wizards hang in the back for support spells. It certainly depends on the meta but Magic is getting a bit more popular. It's particularly good against Skyfires since Fold Reality is the absolute worst. -1 to Hit doesn't do much against dedicated shooting/melee in my experience and that's coming from a guy that plays 3 Huskards on Thundertusk. :P

Have you cosidwred using the Mutalith vortex beast to add some teeth also being able to switch it out and right in the enemy back line to take full effect of its aura seems like a good idea.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Have you cosidwred using the Mutalith vortex beast to add some teeth also being able to switch it out and right in the enemy back line to take full effect of its aura seems like a good idea.

Disregard forgot the part about it not being part of the battalion.

Archived