Bases matching or contrasting colour scheme with models?

polarbear

Hi all,

Looking over at my painted minis since AoS came out, I notice all of my bases either match the colour schemes on my models or are close to them, as I always tend to have a specific colour in mind for the army.

However, I've heard/seen the recommendation to have bases contrast with the model so that the whole thing doesn't become one indistinguishable colour scheme.

I'd like to try that on a new project but having trouble envisioning it in a way that doesn't look jarring, like purple pants and a yellow shirt.

What do you tend to do? Anyone got pics of bases that contrast with the models?

Thanks in advance!

Hi!

What you're describing is complementary colors, which is one (very basic art-school) way of achieving a striking contrast. But contrast can also be achieved by value, saturation, and temperature. So say that your army is "Ultramarine (sorry 40k reference, I am a sinner), therefore blue, the color which is alongside purple a considered a darker cooler color. Therefore, a brighter, hot base may be suggested. It doesn't have to be a Orange (complementary of blue), but can be a brighter reddish brown or a dusty bright yellow ochre. So it all really depends on how you painted your army and the overall primary color (not RBG, but the most prominent color on your figure) you chose for your army. In my example, blue and darker side would be the answer to what an ultramarine would be consider, even if they had white rims on the shoulder pads.

In order to find the value of your figure, take a sheet of mid-tone grey paper, hold it behind your miniature and squint. If the miniature looks like the sheet, it is a mid value, if it is darker then the figure has darker value, etc. Then it all comes down to finding the opposite for your base.

I can upload pictures of some of my models for your so you can see the reference. But I rarely go for complimentary colors when it comes to basing. 

I hope that helps!

I'd recommend basing for your most commonly played n surface.  And if that is too close or too jarring, make it more grey or brown as needed.

If you want complimentary colours on your base go for a desaurated/greyed/browned out version if you're worried about clashing.  For example, if the model is red and you have some stone on the base you could have grey stone with parts of it getting a green glaze to look like a subtle moss or mineral deposit on the stone.

For my small Slaanesh daemon force I'm trying different bases; got bored with brown bases with some grass on it (and brown brayherds on top)

i like it, but I really wanted to do something different ?

AoS is based in the mortal realms with unknown surfaces, it could be anything and it's not always grass, snow or dusty sand. If you have an idea of awesome bases (with others colours), go for it!

image.jpg

The green tufts are a perfect contrast for the red robe of the skaven.  Looks awesome.

Tufts and flock are available in a variety of shades and can be washed and drybrushed.  So Polarbear if you are worried about purple paints and a yellow shirt, you can always relegate complimentary colours to just a tiny bit of plants.  Like if the miniature is purple, a brown dried out looking tuft or flock that's almost orange might work great.  It just needs to be more towards orange-red-brown and stay away from yellow looking tufts/flock.

How do you desaturate your paint? Do you just add white, grey or black,  depending on what brightness level you want?

15 hours ago, Lysandestolpe said:

In order to find the value of your figure, take a sheet of mid-tone grey paper, hold it behind your miniature and squint. If the miniature looks like the sheet, it is a mid value, if it is darker then the figure has darker value, etc. Then it all comes down to finding the opposite for your base.

Thank you @Lysandestolpe I love these kind of tips/helpers!

55 minutes ago, J-P said:

How do you desaturate your paint? Do you just add white, grey or black,  depending on what brightness level you want?

Any way of taking the colour towards white or black yeah. So grey, bone, dark brown, dark blue etc would work too.

You can mix your paints or you can paint base colour then glaze to desaturate it.

I posted stuff that would just complicate matters so I edited it out.  If you want to play it safe and make sure the basing colour won't clash, the closer to neutral colours you get, the less chance of purple and yellow clashing clothes you'll get.

Ratamaplata's basing is actually a really good example from a colour theory perspective.  It's got red in the clothes and then green from the grass but then also a warm brown that continues the red side of the spectrum into the base in a desaturated way.  He probably didn't even have to mix the colour as browns are nice and warm like that.  And then those grey rocks really make a nice contrast next to the red of the cloak and the mud so the miniature isn't lost in the base at all (not that it would be if the rocks weren't there, but you can see the effect the cool grey has).

Archived