New to Ironjawz + Age of Sigmar, any advice? :)

Damosane

Hey, I'm new to Age of Sigmar, used to build some games workshop stuff when I was younger but never even really managed to finish a full army.

I'v decided I want to start with Ironjawz so bought the start collecting and also bought an Aleguzzler purely because I love the hilarious conversion opportunities it offers. 

21 minutes ago, Damosane said:

Hey, I'm new to Age of Sigmar, used to build some games workshop stuff when I was younger but never even really managed to finish a full army.

I'v decided I want to start with Ironjawz so bought the start collecting and also bought an Aleguzzler purely because I love the hilarious conversion opportunities it offers. 

Hi @Damosane,

Hello and welcome to the forums. Good choice of army!!

I'm particularly interested in the weirdfist, how is it on the table?

Personally I think it's pretty inefficient. Solid example of something looking much better on paper than it is in reality. If you're going to do it, you probably want the Balewind Vortex in there as well...by which time you're essentially looking at 320 points for your Shaman. The potential is definitely there. @Tom has some Tournament experience with these kind of things.

I'm also hoping Ardboyz are either battleline or the Aleguzzler doesn't ruin alliances in the next general hand book.

Sounds like you have a decent understand already if you know about such things and the upcoming GH2! ;) But yeh, I agreed with both of those points wholeheartedly.

I did a couple of Podcast episodes a while back about Ironjawz. My own opinions have changed somewhat since these were recorded, but they still should be of use to a new player;

The second one features @Sangfroid and is pretty interesting. I think it's a certainty that we will do a new episode once the GH2 drops, re-evaluating how Ironjawz currently stand and the way the builds look.

If you have the time, this thread is worth a read as well;

Loads of ideas to take in and enjoy!!
Let us know if you have any questions, everyone is super friendly and helpful here :D 

Have fun,
Chris

Best ironjawz advice at the mo imho. Is paint what you like. That way you'll have a good solid core of models to build a list from. 

Weirdfist is fun in a friendly game where there is no shooting lol. Doesn't leave many games. But it's expensive for what it is. Like @Chris Tomlin has said. An it's even worse because you need body's around. An most of the time them body's want to run off doing things. If they are not it's another 360 points of ard boyz hanging around not doing a lot. 

I think it's even worse than it looks on paper. An it only looks meh at best. 

Welcome to the most awesome faction in the game aswell by the way. 

Everyone above says it all really but for a collection perspective you probably want to work towards these

Mawcrusha  

2 Megaboss on foot

3 warchanters 

1 or 2 shaman 

20 -30 brutes

30-40 ardboyz

9-12 goregruntas 

while not not all of that can be fielded currently everyone has their fingers crossed the Ironjawz are going to get a Fyreslayers treatment come Generals Handbook v2 (summer time possibly) as this would make the army more competitive no so much able to deal with the meta just a lot more bodies to absorb the punishment and still get in and bash 'eds. 

ive got 25 brutes painted but if the changes are anything like Fyreslayers then I'm planning on painting 10-20 more as it's not unrealistic to one day be able to field 3 units of 15 brutes!!!

Welcome to the Waaagh!

I have been playing Ironjawz for the past few months, and I have been loving it.  They move quicker than they seem with some tricks, and hit hard when they get into melee.  The Heroes are all about buffing combat abilities, and you have a good balance or horde or elite model counts.

Having played many games against many opponents, I find that my biggest weaknesses are:

1.  Lack of shooting.  If a Wizard gets up on top of a Balewind Vortex, I have NOTHING to deal with him, and your list is the same.  I would recommend some ranged shooting units of some kind.  Our only ranged output is our Wizard, and sometimes that just doesn't do enough.

2.  Lack of Mortal Wound output.  Same as before, the Shaman is the only source of dishing out Mortal Wounds to enemy units.

A Maw-crusha has some help in ranged and Mortal Wound attacks, but that's not really why someone takes a Maw-crusha, is it?  I haven't got one for my army yet, but it is on my list!

Archived